Author Topic: PC Engine TV problem  (Read 231 times)

dougal

PC Engine TV problem
« on: June 13, 2013, 07:04:14 AM »
Hi guys... Till i get an RGB option sorted out I am using my Japanese white PC Engine on my 32inch LCD TV as it seems to be the only TV I have at home that supports Japanese NTSC AV and RF composite in color.

The picture / color and sound is perfect but every few seconds (anything between 5 - 40 seconds give or take) the display goes funny for about 1/2 a second and then goes back to normal. It seems but i'm not sure to do it more with brighter screens. It's hard to explain what i mean by "the display goes funny" but its sort of like the screen goes bright and the colors go darker and the display i think enlarges. Like i said only for 1/2 a second and then goes back to normal, but it is annoying. It does this on this TV with both RF and AV.

For AV i'm using a home made cable which is a RCA cable (3 plugs) on one side and on the other side it taps the VID, Left and right audio and ground pins on the EXTERNAL connector at the back of the PCe. The cable can't be the problem as even RF gave me the same problem.

I played the PC Engine on another 2 TV's, both CRT and this problem did NOT happen aside from the display being in black and white as both CRT tv's cannot support NTSC composite in color.

I also tried it connected to a cheap USB device which accepts composite AV and displays it on the PC. The display was not very nice but it worked in color and the problem of the screen going funny did not come up.

I have no other TV's to try out the PC Engine. So in a nut shell, on the CRT's it was OK but black and white, on the cheap usb/pc adapter display was OK but not very good quality and on my 32" LCD it is perfectly clear and color but with the problem.

I'm asking here just to see if the problem is possibly my LCD TV or else the PC Engine itself. The TV works fine as a TV and with my PAL consoles.

As a PSU (for PCe) I am using a universal ac dc power supply set at the right polarity and at 9 Volts. I also tried a Sega PSU but the same probelm occurred.

PunkicCyborg

Re: PC Engine TV problem
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 09:42:55 AM »
you could also try testing it through a vcr that has rf in and rf and av out to the tv
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Keith Courage

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 12:49:22 PM »
My Plasma TV does the same thing on Component input for the PCE unless I have a certain setting on the component PCB turned up all the way. I think some flat screen TVs require a stronger or higher amped input of some sort to stay consistent or steady. Try it out on a friends TV and see what happens.

dougal

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 05:31:07 PM »
you could also try testing it through a vcr that has rf in and rf and av out to the tv

On the 32inch LCD TV ? I can try later on and see what happens