Author Topic: Old VHS Turbo-grafx promo tape  (Read 2157 times)

ShadowStitch

Old VHS Turbo-grafx promo tape
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 11:07:20 AM »
Hahaha, you're all a bunch of tadpoles!

I was born in 1978, and I grew up with the 2600 and NES... I remember going to the electronics store up the street when I was about 8 years old, and MARVELLING at Legendary Axe 2 and Bonk's Adventure. I bought one when they were still like 200$, and they came with Bonk's Adventure free. ;) One controller, RF only, you gotta buy a Turbobooster if you want RCA video! Haha!

I got those same print ads in the mail offering the 299.99 Duo, telling me how I could use it as a 4x CD-rom for my PC... and man, I still have TWO different VHS tapes that were basically half-hour long commercials for the Turboduo... Maybe I should encode em and post em online for nostalgia's sake! :)

T2KFreeker

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 02:11:35 PM »
Quote from: "ShadowStitch"

I was born in 1978, and I grew up with the 2600 and NES... I remember going to the electronics store up the street when I was about 8 years old, and MARVELLING at Legendary Axe 2 and Bonk's Adventure. I bought one when they were still like 200$, and they came with Bonk's Adventure free. ;) One controller, RF only, you gotta buy a Turbobooster if you want RCA video! Haha!

I got those same print ads in the mail offering the 299.99 Duo, telling me how I could use it as a 4x CD-rom for my PC... and man, I still have TWO different VHS tapes that were basically half-hour long commercials for the Turboduo... Maybe I should encode em and post em online for nostalgia's sake! :)

Well, I can say that I am not a tadpole as I was born in 76, so I too grew up during the golden age of the console market! I still would love a copy of those tapes. That would just be bad ass! :lol:
END OF LINE.

dj898

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 03:11:09 PM »
tadpole huh?
I was told men went to moon when I was born... heh

ShadowStitch

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 03:24:00 PM »
Hahaha...well, you know...compared to the kiddies born in 1987... ;)

I guess that simile makes you guys...um...frog eggs?

esteban

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 06:13:33 PM »
Quote from: "dj898"
tadpole huh?
I was told men went to moon when I was born... heh
Yay! I'm not the oldest person here :)
  |    | 

malducci

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2006, 09:25:21 PM »
was born in 1978, and I grew up with the 2600 and NES... I remember going to the electronics store up the street when I was about 8 years old, and MARVELLING at Legendary Axe 2 and Bonk's Adventure.

That math doesn't added up, are you sure you were 8 ?  :wink:    

I was born in '76 as well and I got my first turbo in '90 when I was a freshman in highschool. I do remember Pac-Man and Donkey Kong when they were new arcade games. My first sysem/computer was  a 64k CoCo, when I was 8yrs old  :P

T2KFreeker

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 12:47:01 PM »
Quote from: "malducci"
was born in 1978, and I grew up with the 2600 and NES... I remember going to the electronics store up the street when I was about 8 years old, and MARVELLING at Legendary Axe 2 and Bonk's Adventure.

I was born in '76 as well and I got my first turbo in '90 when I was a freshman in highschool. I do remember Pac-Man and Donkey Kong when they were new arcade games. My first sysem/computer was  a 64k CoCo, when I was 8yrs old  :P

Yeah, I can acyually agree with all that you said, except my first system was an Atari 2600, so yeah, the days of gaming have comer a long way, but my Turbo is still my favorite system of all time.
END OF LINE.

akamichi

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2006, 03:58:45 PM »
Man, after reading all these "back in the day" stories, I'm starting to remember my own! :) In my early years, I played the Atari 2600, Intellivision, and Odessey 2 a lot.  I never owned any of them, but my friends did.  My first console was Colecovision.  I loved that thing.  Managed to get a few games for it and my brother knew some people that had pretty much everything that Coleco put out.  Got to borrow a lot of stuff I never would have been able to play, let alone buy.  Eventually the Colecovision stopped working, but by that time the market already crashed.  Nobody was really into consoles until NES came out like a year or so later.

It wasn't until Christmas '86 - early '87 that NES was starting to pick up steam.  Got it that Xmas... seemed like everybody did.  Then in June '87, I moved to Japan.  Ironically, I had no access to NES stuff for a long time.  That's when I was forced (oh the pain! :lol:) to check out the Japanese game scene.  Of course I learned about Famicon and Sega Mk III.   When I started school that year, that's pretty much when I found out about the PCE coming out only a month or two later.  And the rest is history. :)

T2KFreeker

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2006, 09:18:22 AM »
Quote from: "akamichi"
Man, after reading all these "back in the day" stories, I'm starting to remember my own! :) In my early years, I played the Atari 2600, Intellivision, and Odessey 2 a lot.  I never owned any of them, but my friends did.  My first console was Colecovision.  I loved that thing.  Managed to get a few games for it and my brother knew some people that had pretty much everything that Coleco put out.  Got to borrow a lot of stuff I never would have been able to play, let alone buy.  Eventually the Colecovision stopped working, but by that time the market already crashed.  Nobody was really into consoles until NES came out like a year or so later.

It wasn't until Christmas '86 - early '87 that NES was starting to pick up steam.  Got it that Xmas... seemed like everybody did.  Then in June '87, I moved to Japan.  Ironically, I had no access to NES stuff for a long time.  That's when I was forced (oh the pain! :lol:) to check out the Japanese game scene.  Of course I learned about Famicon and Sega Mk III.   When I started school that year, that's pretty much when I found out about the PCE coming out only a month or two later.  And the rest is history. :)

Hey man, that's cool. At least you got to see the PC Engine in it's original release, I wish more Americans had. I fell in love with the Turbo Grafx-16 the minute I saw it. I had no idea about import games at the time though as I was a kid, but man, I thought that it was cool. I wanted one so bad, but didn't get one until a few years later and was laughed at because Sonic had just releassed that Christmas season. Didn't bother me too bad though as I had my TG, Keith Courage, Cyber Core, and Splatter House to keep me company. I was happy, and it only went up from there!
END OF LINE.

ShadowStitch

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2006, 11:32:14 PM »
Quote from: "malducci"

Haha, you're right. Grossly incorrect.
This is likely why I ended up as a graphic design major. ;)

NFERNO1

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2006, 11:26:16 AM »
Well I may be the oldest gamer here. I was born in 1968 (yes, 1968). I still have my earliest systems, the Odyssey 2, and the 2600 both, as well as just about every system thats come out since then. This post was originally about a VHS promo video for TG16, and I think hes talking about a different one than the one I have. The summer before the TG was released, I went to the State Fair of Texas and NEC had a tent set up there displaying the upcoming system. I played some of the launch games, and filled out a card for a promo video, and some coupons and stickers that they were going to mail to me. I was sent everything twice, for some reason, so I have two of these promo videos, talking about the features of the upcoming TG16, the games, and even some of the imports that could come over to the US in the future. One of them I have watched, and the other I've never even taken out of the shrinkwrap. Its just a plain black video with an orange label in a black sleeve. Did anyone else get one of these?

TR0N

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2006, 01:08:30 PM »
Quote from: "ShadowStitch"

I doubt it i was born in 72 so i've seen it all myself.

I remember when i got the promo tape from, TTI in the mail still i never did keep it though  :oops:

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

PC Gaijin

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2006, 03:52:11 PM »
Thirty-something gamers unite! I try to refrain from commenting on younger gamers since...there's always someone older who thinks you are the young'un that doesn't remember the good ol' days. :) For example, I recently discovered my brother-in-law (who is around 43) had an Odyssey when he was a kid. Not the Odyssey 2, the original one that came out in 72. The very first home console, predating Pong, Atari, and everything else. Certainly made me feel a bit less ancient. Sheesh, it's the only console I can think of that came out before I was born (just barely). :wink:

Somewhat off-topic, who is the oldest gamer you've ever met? I remember my aunt playing Super Mario Bros. back in the 80s, when she was in her fifties, but that was an exception. The manager at my first job out of college (back in the mid-90s) was a hardcore flight-sim enthusiast. He was around 45 at the time. I remember going over to his house for a company gathering during the Super Bowl and how proud he was was of his monster 486 rig and crazy joystick setup that he used for the flight sims.

Of course, now that I'm in my thirties, I've got a few friends pushing forty that still play games. They're all the Xbox-owning Joe Sixpack mainstream types that "hardcore gamers" tend to sneer at. Funny thing is they seem to enjoy games a lot more than most people I've ever run across on game forums. :lol:

Joe Redifer

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2006, 04:11:18 PM »
I haven't read this entire thread.

I have some form of TTI video tape.  Does anyone care?

Keranu

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2006, 04:56:12 PM »
Quote from: "NFERNO1"
The summer before the TG was released, I went to the State Fair of Texas and NEC had a tent set up there displaying the upcoming system. I played some of the launch games, and filled out a card for a promo video, and some coupons and stickers that they were going to mail to me. I was sent everything twice, for some reason, so I have two of these promo videos, talking about the features of the upcoming TG16, the games, and even some of the imports that could come over to the US in the future. One of them I have watched, and the other I've never even taken out of the shrinkwrap. Its just a plain black video with an orange label in a black sleeve. Did anyone else get one of these?

I would defintely be interested in seeing this video since I absolutely love old Turbo promo stuff. Is it possible for you to capture the video and upload it? Also, would you be interested in selling that extra copy you have? :D

Quote from: "Joe"
I haven't read this entire thread.

I have some form of TTI video tape. Does anyone care?

I care :D ! Same thing I wrote for NFERNO1 here.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).