Author Topic: Old VHS Turbo-grafx promo tape  (Read 2155 times)

Keranu

Old VHS Turbo-grafx promo tape
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2006, 08:31:05 PM »
Quote from: "Black_Tiger"
I just picked up my third unique Turbografx-16 promo tape tonight.

Keranu, you're going to love it.

I'm pretty sure I've seen part of it online before. Two guys get "turbo charged" and make asses of themselves playing TG-16 games and rockin' out to CD tunes.

But the end is a crazy kalaedoscope of rapid cuts of PC Engine game footage, which is very cool and is a good way of showing what the system can do, but some of the stuff that comes up looks hilarious, in a UHF kinda way.

Anyways, I'm going to put all 3 videos onto DVD and should have the last 2 up on my site by the end of the weekend.

RADICAL! I will download as soon as you have them up, you certainly know how much I love this stuff :D .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2006, 08:39:34 AM »
Alright, all three of the Turbo promo tapes I own are now up in both low and high quality versions in the Videos section of my site.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2006, 02:36:48 PM »
Although I HATE WMVs with a rather intense passion, I downloaded the first video anyway.  The audio seems a tad distorted in the high quality version.  Was it like this on the original tape, too?  I must mention first that the WMV abruptly stopped when they were showing off Ys for the PC Engine at approximately 10:30.  Downloaded it again and it did the same thing.  The low quality version played all the way through.

And now for my eagerly awaited comments about the HILARIOUS "Get Turbocharged" video (the first one on the site):

0:30 - These guys are really fascinated by the dude on the TG-16 box!

1:43 - Turbobooster to put out unbelievable sound and vicious pictures!  Try not to be too blown away by their example!  I agree that composite video out of the TG-16 is rather "vicious" with its fuzzy scrolling and color bars.  RGB is the way to go.

2:05 - I imagine that the dude on the right is REALLY helping his friend beat Mike Bison or Balrog or whatever his name is in Fighting Street.  Keep waving your hand there, buddy.  Your friend can't win without it!

2:19 - No need for a description here.  Just laugh the night away at these two dorks listening to the TG-16 CD player.

2:31 - OK waitaminute.  The case was stored vertically on a shelf.  Dude picks it up and opens it yet the HuCard (without a sleeve) and it looks like it is still aligned almost perfectly in the center.  HuCards without a sleeve flop around like a bitch!

2:43 - The close up of this dude and his goofy laugh is classic.  I want to buy 5 more TurboGrafx-16's!

3:25 - In Legendary Axe, I must penetrate the "evil place".  Ooooooo!!!!  Not the evil place!  Anything but that!  Noooooo!!!!

3:40 - I need to be a skilled marksman to survive R-Type?  I didn't know this was a light gun game.  Did the PC Engine even have a light gun?

4:17 - It seems like this dude just squeezed out a quick fart, then the camera pans over to the dude on the left who begins to enjoy the smell.

4:48 - There they are again!  These guys will never get laid.

4:53 - Wow these guys are sure excited that they defeated the first spider at the very beginning of level 1 in Legendary Axe.  Yeah, it took me weeks to get past that part, too. :roll:  They even have 50% of their life left.  Man, they're good!

6:24 - Ordyne is an exciting space shooter?  Is there even a space level anywhere in the game?

7:29 - NEC invites us to write them with our opinions of the PC Engine games that follow.  That's going to be kind of hard since the games don't show any titles and last for only about 4 seconds each.  I guess we could write in and say "I liked that one game... the one with the space ship.  Bring that over as it looks cool.  Don't bring over that game with the guy in it, though.  That looks boring.  So does that one game with the space ship.  The other game with the space ship is still cool."  It is amazing how few of the games shown made it over.  Most of them looked like crap.  

9:03 - Waitaminute...  isn't that a SuperGrafx game?  I can tell just by all of the incredible SuperGrafx power displayed.

9:12 - Hang-On on the Sega Master System looks better than this.  Ug.

9:56 - I don't think American audiences would EVER be interested in something like this.

The End.

Thanks for uploading that!

esteban

« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2006, 02:47:44 PM »
Damn, I can't watch WMV files right now, but I had a grand time reading Joe's comments! I can't wait to watch this tape, Black_Tiger :)
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2006, 03:28:11 PM »
Great comments joe, especially 0:30 ;) . I had the same exact problem as Joe where the high quality version cuts off when showing the PCE Ys but the lower quality showing the full thing. I absolutely love this video! It's about indenticle to the one featured on Aaron's PC Engine FX TV episode, but there seems to be some slight differences, like the sponsor voice saying some new things and the extra PCE footage at the end (which Aaron might've just cutted out to save space). I wonder where Aaron got his version from?

TOAST!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2006, 03:57:32 PM »
My favorite parts are when the 'good looking', 'cool'(er) guy(not the nerd/dork) says "toast!" and "huh hoo, hyeah!"

Apparently, the last 10% of the "high quality" video didn't get uploaded, so I'll reload it tonight.

The sound isn't much better in the original dvd video I captured, but I didn't have the audio quality cranked up all the way either.

I was forced to switch to wmv's after divx stopped encoding properly. No matter what I set it to, it only made huge sized files, which got larger in size as I turned down the bit rate. This made it impossible to make videos just under youtube's 100 meg limit. Plus they seemed to get slightly less butchered when filtered through youtube.

I've got a divx of the first promo video rendering right now. If it turns out alright, I'll put it up later tonight.

Keranu

« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2006, 04:19:13 PM »
My favorite part is when they show how you can use the TGCD as a REAL CD player and when they put in some random CD, it plays this hilarious song and the 80's teen duo start dancing on their couch! Although to be honest, this scene was even funnier in the video Aaron added to PCEFX TV because it didn't have the sponsor talking when they were just about to play the CD and it made it sound funnier with the quiet pause. I also love how the setting seems to take place at dawn, though it's probably intended to be night. Nothing cooler than playing Turbo at dawn.

God this is so 80's-tastic, there is just too much too explain and some of it can't even be expressed! :lol:

Joe Redifer

« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2006, 04:32:17 PM »
You need to try and express your thoughts!  Do a timeline like I did.

Keranu

« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2006, 05:24:32 PM »
I might give it a shot, please give me some time to think ab00t it.

Black Tiger

« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2006, 07:07:28 PM »
I swapped the high quality wmv for "Get Turbocharged!", so it's now full length and added divx alternatives for all 3 promo videos(the Lords' divx is just the old file I had up before).

The divx's are almost the same size as the high quality wmv's, but the picture quality is poorer and the sound is not quite as nice.

0:30 - These guys are really fascinated by the dude on the TG-16 box!

I like how the dork shrugs and give the cool guy a look that says, "go ahead, what's the worst that could happen?" and seconds later they're both electrocuted by orange energy bolts.  :P

1:43 - Turbobooster to put out unbelievable sound and vicious pictures! Try not to be too blown away by their example! I agree that composite video out of the TG-16 is rather "vicious" with its fuzzy scrolling and color bars. RGB is the way to go.

The Turbobooster made a big difference for me, since it eliminated the  fuzzy scrolling and color bars that I got from using an RF switch. But I didn't know anyone with an RGB TV back then, let alone even knew what RGB was.

2:05 - I imagine that the dude on the right is REALLY helping his friend beat Mike Bison or Balrog or whatever his name is in Fighting Street. Keep waving your hand there, buddy. Your friend can't win without it!

It looks like they're having a VS game and the dorkier guy is playing with an Activator.

2:19 - No need for a description here. Just laugh the night away at these two dorks listening to the TG-16 CD player.

Makes me wonder if the whole thing even had a real director on the set, or if some guys from NEC just told them to play a few games, act "excited" and then show off their best dance moves.

2:31 - OK waitaminute. The case was stored vertically on a shelf. Dude picks it up and opens it yet the HuCard (without a sleeve) and it looks like it is still aligned almost perfectly in the center. HuCards without a sleeve flop around like a bitch!

This probably ate up half of the special effects buget.

4:17 - It seems like this dude just squeezed out a quick fart, then the camera pans over to the dude on the left who begins to enjoy the smell.

That's hilarious man. Everyone needs to read that and then check the video at 4:17.  :lol:

4:48 - There they are again! These guys will never get laid.

I think that these guys would have no trouble getting laid. Just not by women.

7:29 - NEC invites us to write them with our opinions of the PC Engine games that follow. That's going to be kind of hard since the games don't show any titles and last for only about 4 seconds each. I guess we could write in and say "I liked that one game... the one with the space ship. Bring that over as it looks cool. Don't bring over that game with the guy in it, though. That looks boring. So does that one game with the space ship. The other game with the space ship is still cool." It is amazing how few of the games shown made it over. Most of them looked like crap.

It would've been nice if NEC actually had listened to their customers and if it really was true that they were commited to only bringing over the best PC Engine titles(as the announcer states just before that).

A lot of those PC Engine games looked like they could be fun and back then, everyone I knew wasn't so concerned with playing games that were state of the art graphics wise, we just wanted more games to play for our new systems.

I remember how it seemed like forever to get some more Genesis games after the initial batch, which I rented to death. The draw of new games is part of what got me to buy a Turbografx in the first place.

Which is why NEC's "It's easy to beat the competition when you've got them outnumbered" campaign was a good idea... if only they'd kept bringing over a steady number of quality games.

As for graphics, back then we didn't all have the benefit of hindsight from 20 years in the future, where we now judge all games for any console against the entire generation of it's time.

Everyone I knew back then just wanted something that they thought looked/sounded good compared to an NES game. Even though the Sega Master System already offered that(at least I got to enjoy the SMS in it's day).

It's ironic when I think of how many ugly games were thought of as awesome and how many beautiful games were ignored as ugly back in the day.

Anyways, I know that at the time, I would've been impressed by the overload of clips.

9:03 - Waitaminute... isn't that a SuperGrafx game? I can tell just by all of the incredible SuperGrafx power displayed.

That made me wonder for a minute if NEC had even made the PC Engine collage or if it was put together in Japan for PCE demos.

9:12 - Hang-On on the Sega Master System looks better than this. Ug.

I actually thought that it(Bari Bari Densetsu?) looked pretty cool for the 2 seconds it was up.

9:56 - I don't think American audiences would EVER be interested in something like this.

No, but it's a good 3 second example of how CD games can offer digitized graphics and clear voice.

At that point, there was only Fighting Street and Monster Lair and as a Turbo CD owner back then, I know how badly I wanted a game to use english CD voice and to do more than those first 2 games did.

Keranu

« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2006, 09:11:19 PM »
Haha, 4:17 comment was hilarious. I watched the video to see more what Joe was talking ab00t and it synced up very well :D .

Joe Redifer

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2006, 09:15:01 PM »
You forgot my comment about the dudes beating the spider in Legendary Axe.

Also, to this day I freakin' love the voices in Fighting Street.  Funny thing is that they sound just like the arcade.  Instead of "Round One" it's "wound won!"  And every enemy says with the same voice "You've got a lot to learn before you beat me try again kid eh heh heh heh heh heh!"

Keranu

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2006, 09:16:31 PM »
By the way, does anyone know what that PCE game is displayed around 8:23 into the video that shows a pair of fists punching a Japanese dude's head is? I've played every PCE ROM at least once before and can remember every other game shown in the video except that one. Looks hilarious, I am assuming it's a mini game of some other game.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2006, 09:25:39 PM »
Oh crap!  Look at 2:27 when he pulls out his Keith Courage game case.  Look at the game that was right next to it on the shelf... KEITH COURAGE!  What kind of sick, twisted, perverted individual has multiple copies of Keith Courage just in case one of them breaks down due to overplaying?

Keranu

« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2006, 10:16:46 PM »
:shock: