Author Topic: PCE Duo-R "please set disc"  (Read 611 times)

IrishNinja

PCE Duo-R "please set disc"
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:45:13 PM »
howdy all!  glad to finally get to join you guys  =;

right, so - i recently bought a PCE Duo R off a popular ebay seller who mods them for RGB & replaces the lens, was quite happy with my purchase but i had to wait on a PS1 AC adapter (couldn't find my genny model 2), just got everything sorted & plugged it into my XRGB mini only to get

Please set disc!

..regardless of trying legit discs, burns or music CD's.  obviously, I was pretty let down but i wanna make this work without having to send it back to japan, as it looks like a great unit otherwise.  i emailed the seller to verify the power unit was right, and he replied with:

"Please try to adjust VR102(#1)."

http://homepage3.nifty.com/moremaco/slv.htm

which is a bit more invasive than i usually get, so i'm having a buddy who's more comfortable with this stuff help out tomorrow, hopefully.  is anyone else familiar with this error/fix?  i searched and found only one unanswered thread, was curious if either 1) there might be a less invasive answer or more likely 2) someone could provide something a bit more specific regarding those steps, as I'd hate to have it opened & get it wrong.  Much love in advance for any help offered!
Cuttin' hangtabs since christmas '86

Bernie

Re: PCE Duo-R "please set disc"
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 09:51:04 PM »
I assume we are talking about doujindance, or however you spell that.  Man, that bites if so.  Someone here should be able to get it going, as adjusting the pots isn't that difficult...  I guess its entirely possible it could have shifted during shipping though.  Is it even trying to spin up when you press RUN?

IrishNinja

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 10:30:36 PM »
haha yeah you got it...good guy, and i like his work, just bummed at the moment!

it sound like it, yeah.  it takes more than a few seconds and distinctly sounds like a disc is being spun, but comes back with that error.  i suppose once i get the case off i can verify that, stupid question but do i need any specialty tools or will standard flat/phillips head screwdrivers do, you think?  reassuring to hear that adjusting ports (that seems to be what his linked guide is about) isn't a big deal, though.

Bernie

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 02:39:09 AM »
To adjust the pots, you are gonna need a small flat head.  Before doing it though, I would get with one of the guys here.  Keith Courage comes to mind, as well as thesteve. 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 03:09:38 AM »
.... was quite happy with my purchase but i had to wait on a PS1 AC adapter (couldn't find my genny model 2)

You're using a PS1 power supply with your Duo?  What does it output?  A quick googlering says it's 7.5V and the Duo-R wants 9V.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

IrishNinja

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 10:34:55 AM »
.... was quite happy with my purchase but i had to wait on a PS1 AC adapter (couldn't find my genny model 2)

You're using a PS1 power supply with your Duo?  What does it output?  A quick googlering says it's 7.5V and the Duo-R wants 9V.

yeah, seller said this when i bought it:

If you have to spare, I recommend to use PSone AC adapter(DC7.5 2.0A).

and these are the specs for the adapter:

Original Sony OEM Power Adapter
Model # SCPH-113 (also 121?)
Input AC 120V
Output DC 7.5V, 3.0A

you guys think that might be the issue?  retrogamecave's duo R AC does indeed put out 9v, perhaps i was misinformed?

maybe i should PM Keith Courage/thesteve...

turboswimbz

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 10:41:48 AM »
I would def double check with Kieth and theSteve.  But I am almost sure that in a discussion I had with theSteve where someone was in need of an extra adapter to test something he said never to use adapters with 7.5v.   Don't hold me to that though.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

IrishNinja

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 11:00:21 AM »
crap...are there any other common adapters that put out 9v that i could test?  might just order the retro game cave one tonight but it's gonna take a while to get here either way.

Keith Courage

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »
if you don't want to wait then go pick up an AC adapter from Radio Shack. if it works then you can decide either keep it or return it since you have the receipt and then buy a cheaper one.

IrishNinja

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 10:48:14 PM »
just go to radio shack & pick up a 9v AC, that should do it?  might do that this weekend then, but since it looks like Vigilante & a few other hu-cards just showed: if they load & play just fine but CD's don't, should i assume it's not the power unit?

IrishNinja

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 11:05:05 PM »
just to confirm: Blazing Lazers works fine; unless the voltage can specifically keep CD's from loading, i'm not sure it's just the AC

whisper2053

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 11:19:25 PM »
System needs 9v. You are putting unnecessary wear and tear on the moving parts by not supplying enough juice to it..it's trying to work, but can't with the sub-standard psu. I would HIGHLY advise not using it at ALL anymore until you get a proper psu. Also, for the record, I am going to assume that you shelled out at least a couple hundred for a modded system from DJ. That's not something you want to play guessing games with. Too little or too much input *will* damage your unit, there is no 'maybe' grey area here.

IrishNinja

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 11:24:44 PM »
ah, i was misinformed then - thank you for your reply, whisper.  i will not again use it until either ordering the retro game cave adapter or buying a generic 9v from local radio shack.  hopefully this alleviates the inability to play CD games?

also: would this one work? http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=13384949&kw=9v%20ac%20adapter&origkw=9+volt+AC+adapter&sr=1
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:28:45 PM by IrishNinja »

whisper2053

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 11:40:05 PM »
The other thing I am confused about...

My Duo-R, after taking a quick look at the oem psu, outputs 9v/1a. Are you looking for 2+ amps due to the internal rgb mod needing it due to a higher power draw? I have to admit that here I am a bit out of my element as I am not entirely sure what the amperage demands are from the installed rgb amps that these mods have. I just want to make sure that you do in fact need the higher amperage before you go frying your sexy system though...2 or 3 amps is a huge diff over 1, and as I said, the oem ac adapter only outputs 1.

Edit: In regards to your question concerning which to get, I cannot answer if you are in fact needing one that requires a higher power draw, but if you would be good with a stock ac adapter, you would need one that outputs 9 volts and 1000 mA/1A
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:43:06 PM by whisper2053 »

IrishNinja

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 12:17:41 AM »
well, no - i was asking because again my PS1 AC puts out 7.5, didn't even think about a possible RGB draw because the seller insisted this would suffice; can anyone link to a proper one from radio shack so i can check if its available nearby?  if not ill just get the retro game cave one (http://www.retrogamecave.com/nec-ac_adapter.html) and wait it out i guess...id really just rather know sooner than later if i need to open this up & mess with it to get CD's working!