Author Topic: Price check on a modded PSP  (Read 526 times)

Nando

Price check on a modded PSP
« on: July 24, 2013, 03:02:59 AM »
Been wanting to get back to playing the psp. I had to sell mine a few years ago, but now that the system and games are DIRT CHEAP around here, not to mention the ton of JP content that is available, the little handheld has become quite enticing.

Anyway, just wondering if you all knew what a modded/jailbroken psp might run for? I think I can get a system locally for about 80 bucks. I know I could do some of the mods my self and look for the emu's if I wanted and all that, but I wouldn't know where to look and truly I ain't got time for that ;)

geise

turboswimbz

Re: Price check on a modded PSP
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 01:31:08 PM »
The answer is always in the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Nando

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 02:09:17 AM »
Indeed!

bartre

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 11:41:13 AM »
dude, go the route i took.
buy a busted system for $15 (try a mom and pop store)
replace the screen ($10-$20 depending on model)
do the work yourself.
???
Win.

Nando

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 08:33:06 AM »
dude, go the route i took.
buy a busted system for $15 (try a mom and pop store)
replace the screen ($10-$20 depending on model)
do the work yourself.
???
Win.

If I had the time, patience and knowledge, I would totally do this. Way easier to just get a pre modded unit in my case.

esadajr

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 05:42:04 AM »
even tough all PSPs maybe modified, the Fat is still the easiest one to deal with
Gaming since 1985

Nando

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 07:47:34 AM »
even tough all PSPs maybe modified, the Fat is still the easiest one to deal with

I had a Piano Black. Sexy piece of hardware. The load times were long and I've heard that the "newer" models were a bit quicker, but more "plastic feeling."

Never did try to run off of the SD card to check on the load times.

bartre

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 02:40:14 AM »

I had a Piano Black. Sexy piece of hardware. The load times were long and I've heard that the "newer" models were a bit quicker, but more "plastic feeling."

Never did try to run off of the SD card to check on the load times.

via SD cards, most games after year 1 or 2 have almost negligible load times.
it's pretty great.

Nando

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 03:26:33 AM »
How's emu on it?

esadajr

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 11:17:04 AM »
How's emu on it?
NES, SNES, GEN/CD, SMS, GB/GBA are great. I remember playing (then) recent GBA releases.
Gaming since 1985

bartre

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 01:26:16 PM »
just buy one; shouldn't realistically cost you more than $60-80, depending on model.
hell, get a psp go, a ps3 controller, and a docking station.
turn the psp into a console and actually enjoy a few of the games that didn't translate so well to a handheld.

Duo_R

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 01:52:27 PM »
There's a killer consolized PSP on I think one of the Nintendo Forums. They used a PS2 slim case. It's amazing
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

geise

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »
That link I put up was mine and is still for sale. It's already open for homebrew.  It's a phat though, so no tv-out and 32 megs of ram rather than 64 megs.  That doesn't really do much for the fact that internet browsing is "more useable",  but it doesn't really affect emulation that much.  Not in speed anyways.  The PSP is  a japanese launch unit.  I got it right when it came out.  Still in pretty much the same condition.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 01:55:17 PM by geise »

Nando

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 02:12:37 AM »
just buy one; shouldn't realistically cost you more than $60-80, depending on model.
hell, get a psp go, a ps3 controller, and a docking station.
turn the psp into a console and actually enjoy a few of the games that didn't translate so well to a handheld.

I thought about the Go, but I don't know much about it. May just have to look into it. One does need a reg psp to backup games, correct? There are titles that I want physical copies off, but I'd be okay with making the ISO back ups to put on the GO.

Geise, that's the same unit I had. Well not JP launch, but piano black. I have an Android tablet so that would take care of browsing and what not. The PSP was HORRIBLE for web. Why Sony never did better with the browser, baffles the hell out of me.