Author Topic: I FINALLY got a DUO!!!  (Read 545 times)

shadowlife25

I FINALLY got a DUO!!!
« on: March 27, 2006, 06:44:02 PM »
I am so absolutely ecstatic right now!! WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!!

Ok, I finally got a Duo. I can not believe how much it ran though...
I suppose I did alright though, $230. for the system with connections and
a working original power cable. I'm happy with it. Oh yeah, it even came
with the original box and documentation.

I'm currently am enjoying Super Raiden.
If anyone has any recommendations for some sweet Duo games, I'm all ears :)

M.

Keranu

I FINALLY got a DUO!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 08:32:47 PM »
Congratulations, man! I really do mean it. Receving a Turbo Duo system is one of the greatest feelings in the world, and I can only imagine how much more awesome it is if you haven't been into the Turbo scene before :) . For some game recomendations, you should be able to find tons in many other threads we have posted, but I'll try to limit myself to three top games I think you should look for:

Gate of Thunder - Excellent, excellent horizontal shooter that also includes three other games (Bonk's Adventure, Bonk's Revenge, and if you type in the correct code, you get Bomberman).

Ys Book I & II - My personal favorite game and it's an outstanding action-RPG.

Devil's Crush - A totally rad pinball game that everyone loves.

Those three games are popular titles, but I chose them because they are all excellent titles and it adds variety. Unfortunately these aren't the cheapest games, so expect to pay $20-40 for each of them.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

rolins

I FINALLY got a DUO!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 09:49:49 PM »
Congrats on snatching a DUO. I had the same excitement when I purchased mine, but take good care of it. Here are some games that I recommend you should try next...

Shubibinman 3 (platformer)

Wonder Boy 3 - Monster Lair (excellent platformer)

Nexzr (challenging vert. shooter...not as tough as Super Raiden.)

Gradius II (near-arcade perfect. I love Gradius.)

-

Ninja Spirit

I FINALLY got a DUO!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 02:59:44 AM »
Everytime someone gets a Turbo Duo, an angel gets its wings.

:shock:
Wait I was supposed to save that for Christmas.

Good job though. Seriously, you got one of the most highly niche  consoles in the US.

Zeon

I FINALLY got a DUO!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 05:40:25 AM »
Congrats from me too. It is true what Ninja Spirit says about the Duo being one of the most niche consoles in the U.S. I guarantee that you won't be disappointed by the sheer amount of innovative, quality games from both the U.S. and Japan.

As for recommendations, I have too many to remember offhand, but I will try my best to list some really great ones.

In no specific order:

HuCards -
Dungeon Explorer - think gauntlet, but with much more depth, more innovations, more freedom, and you have a pretty good picture of this game. My description does not do it justice; you really have to experience it for yourself.

Neutopia I & II - think of the Neutopia as trying to copy about every element of the first zelda game, but adapted to it's own story. Neutopia II; however, strays from the path of just being a zelda clone, but still remains an action RPG.

Tricky Kick - awesome, challenging puzzle game, and no not of the "drop" variety (tetris, puyo puyo, etc.) Although there only a set number of puzzles, will keep you going for a long time, and it is even fun just to play through it again after you have beaten it.

Bonk's Adventure & Bonk's Revenge -
The mascot of the TG-16 before the Duo came out and was replaced with his cousin Air Zonk, was Bonk, and his first two games rocked! Basically a platformer starring bonk a caveman who must battle baddies by "bonking" them with his head. Revenge was very much the same formula with a whole new world to explore. Of course you have to try it for yourself to believe how awesome these two games are. Oh yeah and Bonk III, both in Hu-Card and CD format, is okay but the series was starting to go downhill with this sequel, although it did have the option for two player simultaneous play it just wasn't good enough for me to truly recommend it.

Bloody Wolf - a great action packed game; trust me, just get it.

Blazing Lasers - Awesome vertical scrolling shmup action

CD games -
Dungeon Explorer II - A very good follow up to Dungeon Explorer. Based on the same formula it is a much larger, and longer game with more characters, animated cutscenes and cd audio of both remixes of songs from the first and new ones as well. Although I prefer the chipmusic of the first to the redbook audio of the second anyday.

Lords of Thunder - sequel to Gates of Thunder another great shmup

Beyond Shadowgate - CD sequel to the nes game Shadowgate, but much more awesome. Think adventure, semi-point and click game.

Dynastic Hero - Basically Wonderboy IV, a platformer, (or was it III, I forget) with new character designs, redbook audio, and basically just a big face lift. It's essentially the same game and some people prefer the genesis version(without the major face lift just called Wonderboy IV or III whichever it is). But I love Dynastic Hero, just good luck finding a domestic copy for a reasonable price.

Dracula X - Highly acclaimed and still considered to this day by many the best game in the castlevania series. 'Nuff said.

and too many more that I can't remember offhand.

Be prepared to spend a pretty penny obtaining some of these games as some, like Dynastic Hero domestic version and Dracula X, are EXPENSIVE. But if you do get them you won't regret it.

Happy Gaming shadowlife25!

esteban

I FINALLY got a DUO!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 05:46:54 AM »
Quote from: "Zeon"
Tricky Kick - awesome, challenging puzzle game, and no not of the "drop" variety (tetris, puyo puyo, etc.) Although there only a set number of puzzles, will keep you going for a long time, and it is even fun just to play through it again after you have beaten it.
Aha! A fellow Tricky Kick fan. Don't forget all the different characters you can choose and the different storylines! What a great puzzle game :)

I also heartily recommend Chew Man Fu (Be Ball) to the original poster if he's into fun action puzzle games.
  |    | 

FM-77

I FINALLY got a DUO!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 06:02:35 AM »
Dynastic Hero - Basically Wonderboy IV, a platformer, (or was it III, I forget) with new character designs, redbook audio, and basically just a big face lift. It's essentially the same game and some people prefer the genesis version(without the major face lift just called Wonderboy IV or III whichever it is). But I love Dynastic Hero, just good luck finding a domestic copy for a reasonable price.

Face lift? Where did you get that idea? Most of the graphics are identical!

There are some changes, but their artist was incompetent and the new stuff is just disgusting! Terrible!

Oh and the redbook audio is generic and extremely poor. Their musician was obviously incompetent as well.

If you want to play this (highly overrated) game, get the original. Wonder Boy in Monster World. Their level designer sure was incompetent as well.

Great team behind that game.  :roll:

Zeon

I FINALLY got a DUO!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 06:57:14 AM »
Ok, I do have to admit that I am a bit biased torwards Dynastic Hero. Played it as a kid way before I knew of it's origins. I do agree with you Seldane; however, on the point of the redbook audio being pretty generic and bland.

But I actually like the character designs in this version, and when I said face lift I meant graphics wise, although like you said, it was nothing major, mainly just the characters and I believe brighter colors.

Now that I look back on my post it seems that I did imply that it was a pretty big face lift which was not my original intent. Spray paint job would have probably sounded more appropriate. I haven't played the original that much (was it on the master system first or the genesis?).

Ironically, one of the main reasons I don't like the original as much is the fact that it doesn't have Dynastic Hero's characters. Call me crazy but to me it's just not the same. To each their own I guess. But I don't think anyone should pay the overly inflated evilbay price for it. ($500+, sheesh, I'm glad we bought it for $30 brand new back in the day!)

esteban

I FINALLY got a DUO!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 09:44:03 AM »
Ok, I do have to admit that I am a bit biased torwards Dynastic Hero. Played it as a kid way before I knew of it's origins. I do agree with you Seldane; however, on the point of the redbook audio being pretty generic and bland...
Oh, Seldane is just teasing you. There was an earlier discussion about the faults / merits of DH and Seldane soundly critiqued the game. His comments in this thread really aren't directed at you, personally, but are rather a general summary of his feelings towards DH.
  |    | 

Zeon

I FINALLY got a DUO!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 10:09:37 AM »
Oh yes I do realize that Seldane is teasing me, and I did read the other thread. Don't worry, I didn't take it personally, I just wanted to clarify my point of view.

Add Parasol Stars to the list of games to play. That game was a blast and about the only game my mom would play. In fact, she beat it before even me, my brother, or my dad did (granted she discovered the 99 continue bracelet trick, but it was impressive anyways).

As for another great shooter(the PCE/DUO has tons of 'em), you have to try Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire or Sapphire for short. Bear in mind it is also very expensive and you will need an Arcade Card Duo. Correct me if I am wrong but on an american Duo you need a converter for the Arcade Card Duo, right?

C'mon help me out people, I know I am forgetting a bunch of great titles.

vestcoat

I FINALLY got a DUO!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 01:56:47 PM »
super raiden super raiden super raiden!  
hell yeah.  that game should be enough to satisfy all of your gaming needs for the next few months, especially if you cannot find or afford Sapphire.

I'd also recommend Bloody Wolf.  totally boss.

Bomberman 94 is the best of the series.  also better than the SNES versions, IMO.

Faceball is the best FPS on the system, hands down!   :wink:

Ninja Spirit

I FINALLY got a DUO!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 05:52:12 PM »
However since you got an American Duo, until you get a converter, a Coregrafx on the side, or a region switch mod, you're at a total disadvantage as far as Hucards go. Yes, there are tons of great TG16 cards, but the real Hucard action is on the Japanese side. You're forced to miss out on:

Konami's PCE shooters. (Gradius, Parodius, Twinbee, Salamander/Life Force) Notice there have been NO Konami releases for Turbografx 16.
Ninja Gaiden
Barunba
City Hunter
Dragon Saber (sequel to Dragon Spirit)
Street Fighter II
Batman (not like the one on the NES, plays like Pac Man somewhat)
Son Son II
Super Dodge Ball
Xevious

In some cases, Japanese versions of the Turbografx 16 games are cheaper than the "rare" US counterparts. I don't know could language barrier be part of it? For some reason, the prices I've gotten my Japanese Hucards for reminded me of my days of collecting 8-bit Famicom games. I used to do Famicom and Super Famicom, but lately I put those aside and am doing just PCE as we speak.

Yeah, I admit, when it comes to video games these days, I'm "anti-American". I take the library that has the most, and that's Japan.

After all that, I'm still happy for ya.

shadowlife25

I FINALLY got a DUO!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 08:38:40 PM »
I really appreciate all the congrats! I have wanted a Duo since I saw it on the commercial originally on tv!
Games I currently own for TG-16/CD/Duo are as follows:

Advanced Variable Geo (U) CD
Akumajou Dracula X (J) CD
Blazing Lazers (U) HuCard
Bloody Wolf (U) HuCard
Bonk's Adventure (U) CD (3in1)
Bonk's Revenge (U) CD (3in1)
Bonk's Adventure (U) HuCard
Bonk III (U) CD
Cosmic Fantasy 2 (U) CD
Cotton : Fantastic Night Dreams (U) CD
Download 2 (U) CD
Dragon Slayer : The Legend Of Heroes (U) CD
Exile (U) CD
Exile 2 : Wicked Phenomenon (U) CD
Gate of Thunder (U) CD (3in1)
Hi-Leg Fantasy (J) CD (no card :( Games Express)
JJ and Jeff (U) HuCard
Lords of THunder (U) CD
New Adventure Island (U) HuCard
Power Golf (U) HuCard
Shadow of the beast (U) CD
Spriggan Mark II: Terraforming Project (J) CD
Super Raiden (J) CD
System card 3.0 (J) HuCard
Tennokoe Bank (J) HuCard
Ys Book I and II (U) CD
Ys III : Wanderers From Ys (U) CD
Ys IV : The Dawn of Ys (J) CD

That's my collection so far. Still alot of work to be done though...

Oh, Blazing Lazers is addictive as Hell!! I've been playing it on my Express.

FM-77

I FINALLY got a DUO!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 09:08:08 PM »
You got your first system a couple of days ago and you've already got all that? There are quite a few expensive titles in there as well.

Maybe you had some of those games before you got the system? I had some Falcom games before I got my Duo, hehehe.  :roll:

Keranu

I FINALLY got a DUO!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 09:36:17 PM »
Wow, Shadow! That's definitely a nice collection to start with! I think I'd chill out a bit before buying any more games, you have enough games to last you for awhile and they are top games too! :)
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).