Author Topic: Elements of a PCE Beat 'em up  (Read 1558 times)

exodus

Re: Elements of a PCE Beat 'em up
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 01:53:33 PM »
as the person who wrote this, I'm gonna peace out of these forums for a while. any woman looking at this thread would instantly know she's not welcome. have fun with that!

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/173227/

Nando

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 02:31:51 PM »
What I've always thought would be perfect for a beat 'em up, is an ACD game with a unique sprite for every enemy. Maybe a couple guards or a group in military gear now and then would look the same. Perhaps the unique enemies could be cobbled together by a decent assortment of torso, arms, legs and just have entirely unique heads, in order to keep enough memory for stunning backgrounds.

Would that allow one to show cosmetic changes like armor upgrades and what not?

bob

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 02:43:33 PM »
Even some generic Genesis games like POW or even Two Crude Dudes or something....

Wait, is there a POW port for genny?

Gillian Seed

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 03:38:48 PM »
4-player, RPG, street fighter moves, loot that you fight over, multiple paths, lots of environmental weapons, Double Dragon Neon-like soundtrack.

I think I might be asking too much from the PCE though :P

Nando

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 01:48:50 AM »
4-player, RPG, street fighter moves, loot that you fight over, multiple paths, lots of environmental weapons, Double Dragon Neon-like soundtrack.

Are you?

For me, the standard would be Final Fight and Streets of Rage. Those, I think, could be done on the PCE.

Design wise, one could copy/adapt the play mechanics of most of Capcom's beat 'em ups and be in pretty good starting shape.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 02:42:15 AM »
Even some generic Genesis games like POW or even Two Crude Dudes or something....

Wait, is there a POW port for genny?

No, I don't think so- but I seem to remember something like "G.R.O.W.L." or some brawler that was some mindless fun...  wish we had more of that in OBEYland

as the person who wrote this, I'm gonna peace out of these forums for a while. any woman looking at this thread would instantly know she's not welcome. have fun with that!

exodus, I think that's jumping the gun a bit-  I know of one (perhaps more?) female poster on this forum that would simply know when someone is joking and I would consider them to be pretty good friends even after sharing a few forum jabs at one another.

Where did that "Game of the Week Club" thread go anyway?  :P

bob

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 02:56:43 AM »
Quote from: _joshuaTurbo

exodus, I think that's jumping the gun a bit-  I know of one (perhaps more?) female poster on this forum that would simply know when someone is joking and I would consider them to be pretty good friends even after sharing a few forum jabs at one another.

Where did that "Game of the Week Club" thread go anyway?  :P

I wouldnt bother responding to him.  He clearly "peaced out".
Besides, i feel like that link was trying to cleanse this place or something.  That was one of the most horrible pieces of shit i have ever read half of.

TITS!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:56:22 AM by galam »

Gillian Seed

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 03:03:07 AM »

Are you?

I don't know. I assume a 4-player beat em' up would be very demanding of any system from the time, and to correct myself it should be a 5-player game :P

nodtveidt

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 03:21:38 AM »
A PCE brawler is more constricted by sprite size than inputs. A four-player brawler with Riot Zone sized sprites on the PCE is impossible even on the SGX just due to the sheer number of pixels being thrown around; Riot City would become Flicker City and it wouldn't be any fun to play. Make the sprites small (say, 32x32 sprite blocks) and a four-player brawler is perfectly doable.

And boobs. I don't care who doesn't like it. Boobs. f*ck the manginas and Anita Sarkesians of the world.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 03:52:44 AM »
And boobs. I don't care who doesn't like it. Boobs. f*ck the manginas and Anita Sarkesians of the world.

Amen.  Besides, male protagonists are treated similarly as hulking beefcakes with skin tight clothes or in a loin cloth and topless, yet zero f*cks are given.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 04:20:08 AM »
A PCE brawler is more constricted by sprite size than inputs. A four-player brawler with Riot Zone sized sprites on the PCE is impossible even on the SGX just due to the sheer number of pixels being thrown around; Riot City would become Flicker City and it wouldn't be any fun to play. Make the sprites small (say, 32x32 sprite blocks) and a four-player brawler is perfectly doable.

Next project!  Sign me up for voice acting!!

*TWISTER!*

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 04:53:33 AM »

On the contrary, my girlfriend laughed at me posting about Donatello jamming his bo staff up April's ass.  She said that is what she gets for teasing the poor, dickless TMNTs with her reporter outfit that's never buttoned.

Don't you think it's a bit sexist to think all females are politically correct pansies that are afraid of anything that isn't toddler friendly?

That whole female-game-argument is retarded.

Females are misrepresented:  Uh, they've had Samus Aran representing females since the 80s.  She's one of the best protagonists ever made.
Roberta Williams:  Duhr.  Games.
Boobies/Skimpy outfits:  Ever walk outside?  Some chicks dress skimpy.  They cosplay with their tits out.  They pose for facebook photos with their racks sticking out and angled down.
Some chicks play shooters, enjoy killing stuff, blowing stuff up, swearing, and Tomb Raider.

also, believe it or not, when you're exerting yourself, you often sound like you're giving or receiving some kind of sexual thing.   It's probably hard to believe for someone who's never done anything but write poorly thought out, accusatory articles on the internet.

I want to be Lara Croft.    She can swan dive off 300 foot tall cliffs with perfect precision, and backflip while shooting dinosaurs with double-glocks.  So what if she's stacked and wears tight clothes.   Not all females are flat chested.   If you've got huge boobs, everyone's going to know unless you wear a tent for a shirt.  Would you rather she wear drapey clothes so she has no freedom of movement and gets her tarpy pants caught in a trap as shes trying to run through a room?   That'd be cool.

Person 1: "How'd Lara die?" 

Person 2:"Oh, well, her pant leg got caught on this swinging blade trap and she got flung into a wall and fell 700 feet to her death!"

Person 1: "Well, why was she wearing dangly clothes?  Why wasn't she wearing something made for movement, like tight pants or shorts?"

Person 2: "Because some pussies on the internet might take offense if you can see her legs."

Way to see the entire thing from one shitty, rose tinted glasses point of view.  You don't seem to understand that there are a lot of females who disagree with your article and think the entire problem is only a problem because some crybabies said it is.  So, you're basically trying to convince the people you're trying to protect that there is something wrong.   Good luck with that.

Kinda ironic that your name is exodus. 
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

nodtveidt

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 05:18:21 AM »
People who bitch about women in video games need a more relevant hobby. If you don't like how it works, make something different. The rest of us aren't going to bend to your hypersensitive bitchfest. If I wanna make a game with ten chicks with massive naked tits, I'm going to, and there's not a f*ck in the world anyone can do about it. Don't like it? Don't play it or buy it. My art won't be stifled by your puritanical bullshit. I like boobs and butts in my video games, and I don't care about your opinion.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 05:19:35 AM »
They already made Pia Carrot, dude.

lolol
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Gillian Seed

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 05:24:17 AM »
I don't really agree with either side. I think it's okay when it's just harmless jokes, but I also think it's fair to criticize the portrayal of most women in video games.

Less fighting, more talking about the 4 or 5-player PCE game Old Rover is going to make :P