Author Topic: Which games came in/with something else other than just a regular jewel case?  (Read 760 times)

Bardoly

I know that most all of the PC Engine games (both HuCard and CD) came simply with game, manual, jewel case, and spine card (for the CD games, but not for the HuCard games, I believe).  I would like to create a comprehensive list of all of the PC Engine games which came in (like in a magazine) and/or with (like included extra stickers) something extra.  The few that I know are as follows:

The below came in something larger than the standard jewel case.
3x3 Eyes - had a regular single CD jewel case release & one which came in a larger box with a VHS tape
Anearth Fantasy Stories (Seiya Monogatari) Taikenban - came included in Dengeki CD-ROM & BOOK Vol.3
Bakuretsu Hunter - came included in a Bakuretsu Hunter book, and you had to cut out the CD case front and back insert from the magazine
Forgotten Worlds - came in a larger box with an Avenue Pad 3 - a 3-button controller
Motteke Tamago - came included in Super PC Engine Fan Deluxe Vol. 2 magazine (This issue also included a PC-FX disk of some sort, I believe.) You had to cut out the CD case front insert from the magazine.  This game did not have an official CD case back insert issued.
Pachio Kun Maboroshi no Densetsu - had a regular CD jewel case release & one which came in a larger box with a pachinko PCE controller

The below included something extra inside the regular jewel case sealed game.
Detana!! Twin Bee - sticker sheet insert
Galaxy Fraulein Yuna - had a double jewel case re-release with a HuVideo disk
Gradius II - sticker sheet insert
Legend of Xanadu - poster
Populous - HuCard game which had a spine card
Princess Maker - had a double jewel case release with a mini audio CD and guide book
Snatcher - sticker sheet insert and a biography/lore booklet
Street Fighter II - HuCard game which had a spine card
Tengai Makyo (Far East of Eden): Fun Kabuki Den - poster
Urusei Yatsura (Lum): Stay with you - had a regular single CD jewel case release & a double CD case release which included a soundtrack CD

*Edit:  Added to the list.

Tatsujin

spine cards for the two hueys "street figher II'" and "populous" :)

www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

roflmao

I think it was pretty common for Konami shooters to include sticker sheets.  My Gradius II has one (sadly my TwinBee does not).

ElSeven

Snatcher came with a page of stickers
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

Ray

Tengai Makyou Kabuki-Den and The Legend of Xanadu came with free posters.
Also, Snatcher came with 2 booklets; The first contains biographies and lore while the second contains the controls and a manga.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 09:48:08 PM by Ray »

cabbage

3x3 Eyes boxed set with a disturbing VHS promotional video
Galaxy Fraulein Yuna double jewel case re-release with HuVideo disc
Pachio-kun (CD) boxed set with the pachinko controller
Princess Maker double jewel case with mini audio CD and guide book
Sangokushi Eiketsu Tenki Ni Nozomu boxed set with...??? a poster and fancy guidebook?

Bardoly

Galaxy Fraulein Yuna double jewel case re-release with HuVideo disc
Pachio-kun (CD) boxed set with the pachinko controller
Princess Maker double jewel case with mini audio CD and guide book
Sangokushi Eiketsu Tenki Ni Nozomu boxed set with...??? a poster and fancy guidebook?

Which one(s) of the Pachio Kun series came with the pachinko controller?  The internet is telling me Pachio Kun Warau Uchu and/or Pachio Kun Maboroshi no Densetsu, but it's not clear at all.

Ray

Which one(s) of the Pachio Kun series came with the pachinko controller?

Maboroshi no Densetsu came with the controller. Both games were sold separately as well.

Also, from the games you have listed, these came in double jewel cases:
Legend of Xanadu
Populous
Snatcher
Street Fighter II
Kabuki Den

Only rarely do these cases contain a second CD. Usually, they were meant to support larger manuals for RPGs or complicated games like Populous, but sometimes add in extras like posters or maps.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 02:47:27 AM by Ray »

Bardoly

Which one(s) of the Pachio Kun series came with the pachinko controller?

Maboroshi no Densetsu came with the controller. Both games were sold separately as well.

Also, from the games you have listed, these came in double jewel cases:
Legend of Xanadu
Populous
Snatcher
Street Fighter II
Kabuki Den

Only rarely do these cases contain a second CD. Usually, they were meant to support larger manuals for RPGs or complicated games like Populous, but sometimes add in extras like posters or maps.

Thanks for the clarification on the pachinko controller.

I wasn't planning on listing all of the double jewel cases, just the ones which included something outside the norm, but maybe that would be an interesting list to create - the list of all PC Engine games which came in double jewel cases.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Which games came in/with something else other than just a regular jewel case?
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 04:39:00 AM »
I wanna get one of those Urusei Yatsura soundtrack discs (more Lummy!).  Are the tunes any good?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Otaking

Re: Which games came in/with something else other than just a regular jewel case?
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 05:39:52 AM »
Here's a few more not mentioned

Akiyama Jin
Circus Lido
Develo Starter Kit - BASIC 
Develo Starter Kit - Assembler
Idol Hanafuda Fan Club    

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 06:37:51 AM »
The manga was very dark
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Otaking

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 06:43:34 AM »
All the Game Express games came in a modified jewel case with their own system card.

Black Tiger

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 01:16:12 AM »
Games like Monster Maker came in an extra thick jewel case, to fit an extra thick manual. You can't replace the door with a standard one.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum