Author Topic: Which games came in/with something else other than just a regular jewel case?  (Read 756 times)

xelement5x

Re: Which games came in/with something else other than just a regular jewel case?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 10:35:24 AM »
Games like Monster Maker came in an extra thick jewel case, to fit an extra thick manual. You can't replace the door with a standard one.

I know exactly what you're talking about.  I've run into Saturn games like that as well.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

akamichi

Re: Which games came in/with something else other than just a regular jewel case?
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 04:53:18 PM »
Games like Monster Maker came in an extra thick jewel case, to fit an extra thick manual. You can't replace the door with a standard one.

I know exactly what you're talking about.  I've run into Saturn games like that as well.

The Arcade Card Pro came in a thicker than usual case too I believe.  Not sure about the AC Duo (maybe standard sized case).

Other items I can think of are:
Hyper Catalogs 1-6, DUO-RX catalog (same demos as Hyper Catalog 6)
Tengai Makyou Kabukiden demo mook (magazine/book)
Legend of Xanadu demo mook
Emerald Dragon demo mook
Lodoss War 1 mook (comes with actual game)
Lodoss War 2 demo mook
Lodoss War 1 & 2 also came in double jewel cases (possibly with maps or other extras, but I don't have the games in front of me)
Artist Tool - don't remember exactly, but I think the booklet is too big for the standard HuCard case.
Tsuru Teruhito no Jissen Kabushiki Bai Bai Game - Comes with a book about as thick as the HuCard case that I think includes stock info and companies from the game.  I'm probably wrong about that, but there is an extra booklet. http://www.pcengine.co.uk/HTML_Games/Tsuru_Teruhito.htm

There's also one Mahjong game by Face that came with a VHS tape.  Don't remember the name of the game though.  

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can remember.

- akamichi
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:55:49 PM by akamichi »

A Black Falcon

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 08:19:34 PM »
Street Fighter II's manual and game card both fit just fine in a normal case... there's no sane reason why it has a dual case, I think... just to make the thing look more impressive on the shelf, I guess?

turboswimbz

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 01:50:37 AM »
Bard I have a thread I started where I was looking for all the posters, we should just combind them since my thread has a lot of stickers ect. listed to.  I will Linky the thread sometime NOW

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=15112.0
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 01:59:33 AM »
Bard I have a thread I started where I was looking for all the posters, we should just combind them since my thread has a lot of stickers ect. listed to.  I will Linky the thread sometime NOW

how about updating your list with some of teh new info on there ;)
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 02:43:36 AM »
Street Fighter II's manual and game card both fit just fine in a normal case... there's no sane reason why it has a dual case, I think... just to make the thing look more impressive on the shelf, I guess?

I don't think the manual and fan book will both comfortably fit in a standard jewel case.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

turboswimbz

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 02:47:23 AM »
Bard I have a thread I started where I was looking for all the posters, we should just combind them since my thread has a lot of stickers ect. listed to.  I will Linky the thread sometime NOW

how about updating your list with some of teh new info on there ;)

Yes yes, I know, When I have a break from my 70+ Hour Work/school/travel week, and actually sign on when I'm not at work It'll be the first thing I do punki.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Digi.k

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, 11:50:46 AM »
can this be included I think Gradius and Salamander came with this little konami pamphlet.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2013, 12:04:54 PM »
Yuna 2 came with a cool metal sticker.

Tatsujin

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2013, 01:42:27 PM »

I don't think the manual and fan book will both comfortably fit in a standard jewel case.

THIS :idea:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

A Black Falcon

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2013, 05:11:12 PM »

Perhaps not, but still, just a thick jewelcase probably would have been fine... you see that a lot on the PS1 too, games which have dual-jewel cases for no particular reason other than that Sony never used single-thick 2-CD cases on the PS1.  I wish they had, it takes up space unnecessarially.  I know jewel cases are small to begin with, and like larger game packaging myself (like, I like US Sega CD or Saturn cases more than the Japanese small cases...), but only use the extra space if you're actually making use of it.  And if it's just a thin manual and two discs, which would have fit in a single-thick 2-CD case had Sony used the things?  Why use up an entire dual-jewel case?  Just to make it take up more room on the store shelf and look more impressive, I presume.  The same applies to Japanese Saturn games, and Turbo CD too; The Legend of Xanadu 1 (with thick manual and map) won't fit into a normal jewelcase, but will fit into one of those "thick jewelcase" cases.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 05:16:43 PM by A Black Falcon »

esteban

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2013, 09:14:35 PM »

At least one of the Wizardry games (III ?) had a case like this, to accommodate a THICK instruction manual. I know there are more, I just can't get my brain to work...
  |    | 

Ray

Cosmic Fantasy 3 included a map and an "Official Guide Book"(Which isn't really a guide book. It contains artwork and concept art from the first 3 games, information about the voice actors/developers and even a music sheet. Really interesting if you can read Japanese.) along with a normal manual. This is the reason why it's in a dual-case rather than the single case Cosmic Fantasy 1, 2, 4-1 and 4-2 came in.

Gulliver Boy includes a map.