Author Topic: PCE/SGFX joypad port cover ?  (Read 319 times)

rtyper

PCE/SGFX joypad port cover ?
« on: September 23, 2013, 06:47:38 AM »
Hello fellow engineers,
Looking at some PCE consoles that have been advertised for sale via different methods (ebay, private sales and mail order shops)
and I have noticed that some that are advertised as 'new' / 'old stock' have pictures that differ as some appear to be fitted with an orange joypad port
cover that matches the 'ext bus' cover. I have been advised that nec either supplied this with earlier white consoles, then stopped. OR nec supplied this
with later releases of the white PCE. Can anyone supply an answer and what are the chances of picking one of these up as most sellers/previous owners
seem to dispose of the orange 'ext bus' cover as well, which I find quite suprising. Then again, considering the condition of used games in the UK / outside
of the Japanese sellers maybe not that much.

(Off Topic Rant)
What is it with people that obviously have an interest in import games/consoles but treat them like trash.

Does anyone have a PCE with the joypad port cover?
Looking to pick up a 'new' PCE but the ones with the joypad port covers on ebay are way beyond my buying price, but they look much cooler.
thanks for your time.

Otaking

Re: PCE/SGFX joypad port cover ?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 08:11:32 AM »
As far as I'm aware the only two PC Engine models that had pad port covers were the LT and the original white engine.
I sold my white engine last year on eBay, I had originally bought it as NOS and it had the orange pad port cover, It didn't seem to sell for any more than usual.

ElSeven

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 11:16:53 AM »
hah i'm relieved that you brought this topic up b/c i coulda sworn that i saw pce systems with these joypad covers... but i could not find any when i searched online.  glad to know i'm not going crazy.  :dance:
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

rtyper

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 06:44:22 AM »
hello again, in reply to HardcoreOtaku: a few months ago an ebay seller (Jump2Japan) advertised/sold a new pce complete with joypad port cover @ $700 (UK£437.22)
looking on ebay now there are new pce at buy now approx UK£300 minus joypad port cover. Nothing special, but ebay sellers are usually aware of prices acheived for similar
items (the sudden large increase in pce games prices from all sellers) and whether the new old stock advertised is genuinely untouched if contents vary from other sellers.

Why would nec remove the cover, the cost/savings would be negligable.   :?

Otaking

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 06:58:20 AM »
I sold my white engine complete with pad port cover for about £60-£70 on eBay, didn't seem to effect the price or perhaps I was just unlucky.

tggodfrey

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 12:23:52 AM »
Why would they bother with a cover.......its pointless.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

rtyper

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 08:41:28 PM »
posted by tggodfrey
Why would they bother with a cover.......its pointless.

I wouldn't say it was pointless, it's a dust cover, same as the flaps on cartridge systems (md/snes/n64 etc) and the door on the duo systems.
How many systems can you name that had a joypad port cover? It's all part of the pce attraction.
Are the spinecards useless, they are just part of the packaging. (displaying the UPC) try telling that to collectors

esteban

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 07:42:46 AM »
PCE JOYPORT COVERS?

Can someone list pics (I don't think I've ever seen them...)
  |    | 

esteban

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 01:31:39 AM »
ATTENZIONE! I still would love to see these mythical PORT COVERS. Even if it is from a magazine advertisement...
  |    | 

rtyper

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 12:09:56 AM »
These images are from a sold unit on ebay:

Sorry about the size.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 12:25:41 AM by rtyper »

esteban

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 09:49:50 AM »
These images are from a sold unit on ebay:

Sorry about the size.

Holy cannoli! I love that PLUG.

Henceforth, it shall be known as the PCEplug.

Thanks for pics.
  |    |