Author Topic: Considering collecting for the TG-16, could use some advice...  (Read 2266 times)

Black Tiger

Re: Considering collecting for the TG-16, could use some advice...
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 07:51:20 AM »
Anyone know the best place to start shopping for a nice, complete Duo-R? (With or without mods?)  I don't care for eBay much, so I'd like to avoid there if possible.

People like to hate on eBay here but several of us have gotten our systems there. Sellers doujindance and hit-japan (where I got my unmodded Duo-R in 2008) seem popular here, but I think doujin's mod work has been questioned a few times. Also, shipping costs from Japan can get painful, $60-80 is not uncommon.

Once I finally got a chance to properly test my latest Duo from doujindance and compare the picture quality to the PCE system I had Apolloboy mod, it's confirmed that the s-video ouput is garbage and ruined in several ways. I will never buy from him again.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 08:03:28 AM »
Welcome, comrade.

|    | 

Orrimarrko

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 08:26:50 AM »
Anyone know the best place to start shopping for a nice, complete Duo-R? (With or without mods?)  I don't care for eBay much, so I'd like to avoid there if possible.

People like to hate on eBay here but several of us have gotten our systems there. Sellers doujindance and hit-japan (where I got my unmodded Duo-R in 2008) seem popular here, but I think doujin's mod work has been questioned a few times. Also, shipping costs from Japan can get painful, $60-80 is not uncommon.

Once I finally got a chance to properly test my latest Duo from doujindance and compare the picture quality to the PCE system I had Apolloboy mod, it's confirmed that the s-video ouput is garbage and ruined in several ways. I will never buy from him again.

Good to know... (sorry about your issue though.)

Orrimarrko

munchiaz

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 09:31:07 AM »
I wish apollo still did mods :(

SuperPlay

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 12:05:22 AM »
Hi Orri

Welcome :-)

Are you going to try to collect a full games set?  If so expect to pay some top (way over the top) $$$ for certain titles.

Also take a look at my links thread, although heavily PC engine focused there is plenty of Turbo goodness there.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9483.0

FiftyQuid

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 02:23:44 AM »
You want to locate:

A region modded USA TurboDuo that's had the sound caps replaced:  It will allow you to play all HuCards and all CD games.   The exception being you can't play SuperGrafx because that's a different console, and you can't play Arcade CD games unless you get the Arcade Card.

A region modded JP Duo-R or Duo-RX:  It will do the same thing as above.

Don't bother screwing around trying to find a Turbo Grafx-16 with working CD hardware.  That's an uphill battle, and a pain in the ass.  You will need to region mod it, and locate a system card just to play Super CD ROM games.    The Duo consoles all have that built in.

Start off with a USA TG-16 so you can play some staple HuCard games and get a feel for the thing, but then definitely upgrade to a Duo of some variety.   Only downside is, without a Turbo Booster (thing that clicks on the back), you can only use RF with the thing.    That kind of blows.

As for video connections.  The best you can get is RGB (with a mod), but it will require a display or an upscaler that can accept it.  If you have a CRT television, the composite will work fine with all of these consoles.   

go to www.pcengine.co.uk for a list of every game.

also go to http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/ for reviews and stuff.

Arkham nailed it.  The only thing I would add to what he said is avoid these guys;

wmacmonagle
canada
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

Orrimarrko

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 03:40:11 AM »
Hi Orri

Welcome :-)

Are you going to try to collect a full games set?  If so expect to pay some top (way over the top) $$$ for certain titles.

Also take a look at my links thread, although heavily PC engine focused there is plenty of Turbo goodness there.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9483.0

Thanks!  If I collect, it would be to complete a US set first, and then go from there.

Thanks for the link to your links page - helpful stuff!

Orrimarrko

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 03:40:51 AM »
You want to locate:

A region modded USA TurboDuo that's had the sound caps replaced:  It will allow you to play all HuCards and all CD games.   The exception being you can't play SuperGrafx because that's a different console, and you can't play Arcade CD games unless you get the Arcade Card.

A region modded JP Duo-R or Duo-RX:  It will do the same thing as above.

Don't bother screwing around trying to find a Turbo Grafx-16 with working CD hardware.  That's an uphill battle, and a pain in the ass.  You will need to region mod it, and locate a system card just to play Super CD ROM games.    The Duo consoles all have that built in.

Start off with a USA TG-16 so you can play some staple HuCard games and get a feel for the thing, but then definitely upgrade to a Duo of some variety.   Only downside is, without a Turbo Booster (thing that clicks on the back), you can only use RF with the thing.    That kind of blows.

As for video connections.  The best you can get is RGB (with a mod), but it will require a display or an upscaler that can accept it.  If you have a CRT television, the composite will work fine with all of these consoles.   

go to www.pcengine.co.uk for a list of every game.

also go to http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/ for reviews and stuff.

Arkham nailed it.  The only thing I would add to what he said is avoid these guys;

wmacmonagle
canada

Thanks for the warning.  Have to find a system first, so it's good to know who not to deal with. ;)

Otaking

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 04:04:24 AM »
If I collect, it would be to complete US set first
That will require deep pockets as US Magical Chase recently has gone for ludicrous amounts of money, the price seems to be going up and up.
I would recommend the cheaper PC Engine alternatives where the US priced games are silly.

Orrimarrko

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 04:06:33 AM »
If I collect, it would be to complete US set first
That will require deep pockets as US Magical Chase recently has gone for ludicrous amounts of money, the price seems to be going up and up.
I would recommend the cheaper PC Engine alternatives where the US priced games are silly.

I know; I saw the last one, which is why I'm 'considering' collecting the set.

Black Tiger

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 07:24:42 AM »
If you're into "set" collecting, the TurboGrafx-16 is still far cheaper and easier to put together than other popular console libraries. Magical Chase can be pricey on its own, but likely costs less than the 100 most expensive SNES games combined.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

jperryss

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 07:57:17 AM »
If you're into "set" collecting, the TurboGrafx-16 is still far cheaper and easier to put together than other popular console libraries. Magical Chase can be pricey on its own, but likely costs less than the 100 most expensive SNES games combined.

The smaller size of the TG set should make it easier, but it seems like there are far more people trying to complete a TG set (probably because it "looks easy" at only 150 titles) and therefore lots of demand and very little supply for those top titles like MC, DH, Beyond Shadowgate, Tonma, and the three boobie games.

In fairness, that probably applies to other consoles too. I wouldn't know because I don't collect fullsets, I collect to play. :D

The nice thing about TG/PCE collecting is that it's easier to find "complete" (case, manual, card) versions of games. I imagine very few people threw the case away when they got home, like you might do with the cardboard box your SNES game came in.

Orrimarrko

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 08:40:02 AM »
Ok, question (since I've seen this listed referred to twice now.)

What constitutes a 'complete set' of games?  There are US Hu Card and CD titles, but I thought that number was less than 150.  Am I mistaken?

What do you guys use when referring to 'the set'?  And what 'boobie games' do you mean?

Thanks,
Orri~

turboswimbz

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 10:15:43 AM »
Ok, question (since I've seen this listed referred to twice now.)

What constitutes a 'complete set' of games?  There are US Hu Card and CD titles, but I thought that number was less than 150.  Am I mistaken?

What do you guys use when referring to 'the set'?  And what 'boobie games' do you mean?

Thanks,
Orri~

OH JEEZ. NOT THIS ARGUMENT AGAIN

IT IS WHAT EVER YOU WANT IT TO BE.

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.