Author Topic: Considering collecting for the TG-16, could use some advice...  (Read 2246 times)

BlueBMW

Re: Considering collecting for the TG-16, could use some advice...
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2015, 02:22:06 AM »
Collecting complete in box turbo stuff is going to be very expensive.  The people I know who have done it without spending a fortune have been slowly collecting for decades.  If you want a collection fast, its going to cost a lot.  I know you say you want reputable sellers for mint stuff at a good price... Everyone would love that but there just isnt a great source to buy all the best stuff at a good price.  You want mint, its going to take a while and cost a ton.  There are no free lunches in turbo collecting.

My suggestion... Buy an everdrive, play some games, then collect the ones you like and dump the idea of collecting a mint complete set.  Youll save yourself some frustration and a ton of coin.  Plus youll have some fun playing some games along the way.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Orrimarrko

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2015, 04:55:46 AM »
Collecting complete in box turbo stuff is going to be very expensive.  The people I know who have done it without spending a fortune have been slowly collecting for decades.  If you want a collection fast, its going to cost a lot.  I know you say you want reputable sellers for mint stuff at a good price... Everyone would love that but there just isnt a great source to buy all the best stuff at a good price.  You want mint, its going to take a while and cost a ton.  There are no free lunches in turbo collecting.

My suggestion... Buy an everdrive, play some games, then collect the ones you like and dump the idea of collecting a mint complete set.  Youll save yourself some frustration and a ton of coin.  Plus youll have some fun playing some games along the way.

I appreciate the advice, I really do.  Unfortunately, it's not in my genetics. ;)

I'm OCD, and retentive to boot.  So, it's either CIB or nothing, and the aesthetics have to be there.  So, I like near mint or at least nothing detracting from the presentation.  To me, the box, etc. are just as important as the game itself.

If you're going to have something on your shelf, it should look nice. (Just like art, or any other decoration.)
I do play my games, but since I can't play them all at the same time, the rest are on the shelf by default.

So, I'll be looking for the goods - I guess it may take a while, but that's all part of it.

I just thought perhaps you guys might know someone who sells minty CIB stuff, but not at evilBay prices.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2015, 05:02:32 AM »
If people were sitting on piles of MIB games, what're the odds that they'd be selling them at dirt cheap prices and that no eBay resellers had cleaned them out already?  Use some common sense, man.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Orrimarrko

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2015, 05:07:56 AM »
If people were sitting on piles of MIB games, what're the odds that they'd be selling them at dirt cheap prices and that no eBay resellers had cleaned them out already?  Use some common sense, man.

First, no need to be condescending.  I'm a pretty smart guy, and don't expect something for nothing.

Second, I never said that someone was sitting on anything.  All I said was that I'm sure this community has reputable people who occasionally sell CIB games in excellent condition.  Who should I be looking out for?

As a collector of many libraries, I belong to many forums for each.  Usually, collectors in the same community will help each other out, and not charge top dollar when posting FS items on the boards.  I assumed it would be the same here.

I never said, dirt cheap prices.  I just said, not ebay prices.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2015, 05:53:59 AM »
First, no need to be condescending.

Necessary or not, it's fun.

I'm a pretty smart guy....

All available evidence points to the contrary.

Second, I never said that someone was sitting on anything.  All I said was that I'm sure this community has reputable people who occasionally sell CIB games in excellent condition.  Who should I be looking out for?

As a collector of many libraries, I belong to many forums for each.  Usually, collectors in the same community will help each other out, and not charge top dollar when posting FS items on the boards.  I assumed it would be the same here.

You specifically asked for a "dealer", which is hardly what one would call a fellow forum member selling off a few dupes.  :roll:

If you'd bother to look around, you'd see there are dedicated buy/sell/trade sub-forums, so stuff is obviously sold here from time to time.  It's up to you to decide it the prices are fair, and common sense (if you had any) would tell you that there are no known scammers to avoid and that you should ask for references if it's a new guy trying to sell stuff (my crystal ball is in the shop).

jordan_hillman

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2015, 06:13:17 AM »
First, no need to be condescending.  I'm a pretty smart guy, and don't expect something for nothing.

You definitely have to have thicker skin if you want to hang around this forum.

A lot of the members here are very wary of newer members posting "intro" or "wanted" threads looking for mint, CIB games and only participating on the Sales and Trades threads.

And people definitely help each other out here. You just have to be really patient :)

Hang out, check out all of the other threads, check out the homebrew sections and games, participate throughout the forums, and very slowly but surely you'll find some good deals if putting together a full run is your ultimate goal. :)

Just wanted to reiterate that you're going to need thick skin around here. ;)

Cheers! 

"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2015, 06:16:33 AM »
First, no need to be condescending.

I'm a pretty smart guy....

All available evidence points to the contrary.

You have a way with the members, gives me the warm & fuzzies.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 06:22:08 AM by EvilEvoIX »

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

Orrimarrko

« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2015, 06:32:22 AM »
I don't get into the back-and-forths; sorry, I have better things to do.

A moderator should act better than that though; I was a mod on another forum, and didn't feel the need to take jabs at people.

If you want to help, do so.  If not, don't.  It's really that simple.

I have thick skin, which is why I don't bother taking jabs at people.

Sorry if there have been many shady people only coming here looking for deals or whatever; I'm not one of them.

Just trying to learn the ropes for a system I've never owned, nor collected for.

Now, if you have something constructive to add...

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2015, 06:37:39 AM »
Ahhh, I am so happy to pass the torch along.  It's been fun to be in the spotlight but now it's time for me to move on into obscurity.  It's been real fun all these years and I mean that.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2015, 07:21:37 AM »

A moderator should act better than that though; I was a mod on another forum, and didn't feel the need to take jabs at people.

If you want to help, do so.  If not, don't.  It's really that simple.

Sorry if there have been many shady people only coming here looking for deals or whatever; I'm not one of them.

Just trying to learn the ropes for a system I've never owned, nor collected for.

Which one of your questions have I not answered, chief?

You have a way with the members, gives me the warm & fuzzies.

Ahhh, I am so happy to pass the torch along.  It's been fun to be in the spotlight but now it's time for me to move on into obscurity.  It's been real fun all these years and I mean that.

That's two off topic posts that are nothing but trolling, evo.  Tsk-tsk.

jordan_hillman

« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2015, 07:38:19 AM »

I'm just one new(ish) guy on the forum trying to help out another new guy so there's no need to get testy with me, or with anyone for that matter.

Like dropping thousands so you can have cardboard boxes on your shelf? Have fun with that weirdo.
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

wildfruit

« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2015, 07:56:35 AM »

Lol'd at this cos its true!

Flare65

« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2015, 08:02:05 AM »

I just thought perhaps you guys might know someone who sells minty CIB stuff, but not at evilBay prices.

Not gonna happen.  TG16 stuff is rare outside of ebay and the internet.  Most of the stuff you find at game shops are the more common titles like Bonks Adventure, Blazing Lasers, TV Sports.... etc and odds are you won't find them complete either.

BlueBMW suggested to buy an Everdrive and try playing all the games off that.  I strongly suggest you do it if you are here to enjoy and play the games.  If you're just looking to spend money to complete a whole CIB near mint set of games to set on a shelf.....good luck to you and your wallet.

Orrimarrko

« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2015, 08:06:08 AM »

I'm just one new(ish) guy on the forum trying to help out another new guy so there's no need to get testy with me, or with anyone for that matter.

Like dropping thousands so you can have cardboard boxes on your shelf? Have fun with that weirdo.

I actually thought that you were being helpful; past tense.

Orrimarrko

« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2015, 08:14:22 AM »

Not gonna happen.  TG16 stuff is rare outside of ebay and the internet.  Most of the stuff you find at game shops are the more common titles like Bonks Adventure, Blazing Lasers, TV Sports.... etc and odds are you won't find them complete either.

BlueBMW suggested to buy an Everdrive and try playing all the games off that.  I strongly suggest you do it if you are here to enjoy and play the games.  If you're just looking to spend money to complete a whole CIB near mint set of games to set on a shelf.....good luck to you and your wallet.

Appreciate the insight.  I do want to play them, that's for sure.

I missed out as a kid, and as a 43 year old, I can now afford to go back and get to those games.

I don't see why people think there's something wrong with wanting a CIB collection though.  IMO, there's nothing wrong with wanting to play the games as well as have them complete as well.

Perhaps not for everyone, but it's not weird.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and oh so warm welcome.

I'm good for now, thanks.