Author Topic: Considering collecting for the TG-16, could use some advice...  (Read 2215 times)

esteban

Re: Considering collecting for the TG-16, could use some advice...
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2015, 12:41:17 PM »

I just thought perhaps you guys might know someone who sells minty CIB stuff, but not at evilBay prices.

Not gonna happen.  TG16 stuff is rare outside of ebay and the internet.  Most of the stuff you find at game shops are the more common titles like Bonks Adventure, Blazing Lasers, TV Sports.... etc and odds are you won't find them complete either.

BlueBMW suggested to buy an Everdrive and try playing all the games off that.  I strongly suggest you do it if you are here to enjoy and play the games.  If you're just looking to spend money to complete a whole CIB near mint set of games to set on a shelf.....good luck to you and your wallet.

Appreciate the insight.  I do want to play them, that's for sure.

I missed out as a kid, and as a 43 year old, I can now afford to go back and get to those games.

I don't see why people think there's something wrong with wanting a CIB collection though.  IMO, there's nothing wrong with wanting to play the games as well as have them complete as well.

Perhaps not for everyone, but it's not weird.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and oh so warm welcome.

I'm good for now, thanks.

Hahahahahshashs.

Comrade, as folks have already said, you need to have a thick skin around here when (1) you are new +  (2) you have only posted in buy/sell threads.

Participate in other sections of the forum (beyond buy/sell) and you will see that we actually like to talk about every aspect of playing/listening/touching/smelling/feeling games. :)

|    | 

Medic_wheat

« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2015, 01:45:32 PM »

Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God; It even has a watermark.

Orrimarrko

« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2015, 03:42:21 PM »
Hahahahahshashs.

Comrade, as folks have already said, you need to have a thick skin around here when (1) you are new +  (2) you have only posted in buy/sell threads.

Participate in other sections of the forum (beyond buy/sell) and you will see that we actually like to talk about every aspect of playing/listening/touching/smelling/feeling games. :)

I might be mistaken, but I don't believe that I've ever posted in the buy/sell forum.

This is my only post thread (unless I'm forgetting something), where I was trying to learn more about what system to get, how to approach collecting/playing for the Turbo/PC Engine.

So, while that's great advice for someone only looking to buy/sell, I don't believe that it applies in this instance.

I just received my modded PC-Engine DUO-R yesterday, and don't even own a game yet to play on it.

So, if that doesn't answer the question as to why I'm here, I don't know what will.

I want to play first, and collect second.

However, the OCD in me will want to collect them all, just like Pokémon.

Anyway, thanks.

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2015, 03:45:32 PM »

Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God; It even has a watermark.

American Psycho.  Perfect reference; Bravo.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

esteban

« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2015, 03:58:50 PM »

Hahahahahshashs.

I might be mistaken, but I don't believe that I've ever posted in the buy/sell forum.

This is my only post thread (unless I'm forgetting something), where I was trying to learn more about what system to get, how to approach collecting/playing for the Turbo/PC Engine.

So, while that's great advice for someone only looking to buy/sell, I don't believe that it applies in this instance.

I just received my modded PC-Engine DUO-R yesterday, and don't even own a game yet to play on it.

So, if that doesn't answer the question as to why I'm here, I don't know what will.

Anyway, thanks.

I was simply providing advice on how to proceed :)

Too many folks have spent all their time+energy in the buy/trade section...

Even if you don't have many (any) games yet, there are still things to discuss...no matter how random, non-PCE, or partial-PCE they may be.

:)
  |    | 

HailingTheThings

« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2015, 04:02:16 PM »
Even if you don't have many (any) games yet, there are still things to discuss...no matter how random, non-PCE, or partial-PCE they may be.

Yes, exactly, like how do you like your beej? For me its medium well. Blarg.

Orrimarrko

« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2015, 06:49:36 PM »

Hahahahahshashs.

Anyway, thanks.

I was simply providing advice on how to proceed :)

Too many folks have spent all their time+energy in the buy/trade section...

:)  Thanks.

I really didn't come here to argue.  Just to learn the 'ropes' of how to proceed on Turbo/PC gaming, and some collecting.

Thanks,
Orri~

MrFulci

« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2015, 02:30:51 AM »
Orrimarko,

CIB games, TG-16 is at the point now, where the prices are really stupid. They MAY settle down later, they may not. It depends if people are still keen on them as time passes.

10 years ago, there were some good deals. Telegames/Direct4games cleared out their stock of new games. I picked up Darkwing Duck through them. yeah, it sucked, but, I didn't have it, and I probably paid no more than $15USD shipped for it, from the UK..

TZD is gone. Red Frog bought the last of their stock, had some stuff for OK prices, then they had some sort of legal thing, which made them shut down. I'm not sure where that stock went, or if it is tied up in some legal limbo?

It used to be, about 10 years ago, the craziest price out there, was when is aw a CIB Magical Chase sell for $500. A year or 2 prior to that, (2002?) I think it was going for about $200-$300.

Now, TG-16 is "cool" with more people. Supply and demand. I said it here before, if I were JUST getting into TG-16, I'd get a flash cart. I have one now, for PCE stuff I never bothered importing or buying from ebay.

During the first 10 years after a system's death, that's when you can get OK prices, especially the first 5 years after it's gone. I've noticed, after 10 years, prices tend to go up. Re-releases help, such as the Virtual Console TG-16 stuff, then again, they can also make more aware of games, systems, etc, and that can increase demand. blah blah blah.

I noticed, after the virtual console stuff on the Wii, TG-16 prices went up quickly. It's stayed that way.

To own all the games, and such, for TG-16, you're not going to find it cheap. Ebay took care of that. Goodwill now tends to check prices for things before putting them in their stores. Heck, even with books, not many carry them anymore, and instead sell them in bulk to book resellers who buy the books, by weight, so they can resell them.

I miss the days, when I could find all sorts of stuff at goodwill stores, yard sales, etc. I purchased the Atari 2600 game, "Quadrun", years ago, at a parking lot neighborhood flea market, for a $1 or something, back in the late 90s. I didn't even know the game was rare, at the time. I don't expect to encounter that again.

Deals, through people here, when you're new, you'll have a hard time with that. It's been witnessed before, people buying stuff, getting good deals, then reselling stuff on ebay. Also, some people go for it, get really into the system, then decide, they want to dump it, due to lack of interest, bills to pay, etc, and they tend to go to ebay. Don't be bothered much, that people are a bit guarded about things.

Not much more to say, that hasn't already been said....
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Orrimarrko

« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2015, 03:27:41 AM »
Thanks; I long for those days where retro games were not a fad and were still cheap/reasonable.

I don't know what an everdrive is or how to play games with a flash cart, but I'm not one for emulation.  Just something about the real thing.  Yep, crazy, I know.

Appreciate the advice.

esteban

« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2015, 05:17:55 AM »

Thanks; I long for those days where retro games were not a fad and were still cheap/reasonable.

I don't know what an everdrive is or how to play games with a flash cart, but I'm not one for emulation.  Just something about the real thing.  Yep, crazy, I know.

Appreciate the advice.

Flash cart = best of both worlds.

I haven't figured out how to use mine yet, but I will.

Play on real hardware.
  |    | 

MrFulci

« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2015, 05:34:36 AM »

Appreciate the advice.

The flash cart, you load the image files from the games onto, plug into your actual hardware; TG-16, PCE, Duo, whatever, choose what you want to play, let it load, and play.

My advice, if you really want to play the games, get a flash cart, load it with games, and play the entire libraries of both PCE and TG-16 HuCards. Focus yourself on the CD games, then you have the actual CD games. Most of those US CD games lacked boxes, however a lot (All?) of the Japanese stuff had spinecard, so that's like a box... It just depends how much extra display stuff you really want, and what you want to focus on. Spend some money on complete HuCards, in box, if you catch a good deal, and must have it with the display box. Best chance for deals on that stuff, is to bid on lots on ebay, and sell off what you don't want. Keep buying lots, then sell fo duplicates.

You hang around here, you'll get some deals, here and there. Keep in mind, people will only go so far under ebay prices. It's happened enough, where someone gets a deal, then instead of turning back to the forum, to sell what they got tired of, they turn to ebay, for max $.

Orrimarko. just be patient. TG-16 stuff has not been like this before, and who knows if it will last. I'm curious how the prices will be in 10 years from now. 2025!

Up until 2007, prices were decent. Not always great, but better than now. I looked up how much Quadrun sells for now. Less than I sold mine for, in 2004 or so. So, the price has gone down on that. Who knows, maybe in 10 more years, TG-16 prices will take a bit of a dump, also.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

MrFulci

« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2015, 05:50:03 AM »
RoyVegas, the lucky ****, opened a complete set of sealed games and shared the pics with the community.  Can't beat this for reference of which games came with what.

http://s667.photobucket.com/user/royvegas/library/Turbografx%20Games%20Reference

I skimmed through this thread a bit more, since I didn't read the entire thing before posting replies. That's a good reference, however, some games had different pack-ins. I recall I had two Super Star Soldiers(?) Each one, had a different TG-16 advertisement in it. The Turbo gear type advertisement things. I guess they were a bit random packing them in there, which advert it would be? I think it was that game. Why I had 2 sealed, it was because I opened 1 years ago, then got another sealed, opened that one, then sold off my older one. One less sealed SSS out there!

Also, I recall someone selling a Bomberman 93 on ebay, years ago, i saved a pic from the auction, since it came with a pack-in paper I had never seen before. It was a Bomberman 93 specific pack-in, on white paper, with black text, bomberman 93 logo, etc. . The picture is low resolution, so I can't really make out the text on it, and I never bothered to ask the seller what that pack-in paper was all about. I'll post a pic here, sometime.

So, there are some variation in stuff that got packed in with games, though  posters, stickers seem to be about the same for all the games that included them.

Orrimarrko

« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2015, 05:51:31 AM »
RoyVegas, the lucky ****, opened a complete set of sealed games and shared the pics with the community.  Can't beat this for reference of which games came with what.

http://s667.photobucket.com/user/royvegas/library/Turbografx%20Games%20Reference

I skimmed through this thread a bit more, since I didn't read the entire thing before posting replies. That's a good reference, however, some games had different pack-ins. I recall I had two Super Star Soldiers(?) Each one, had a different TG-16 advertisement in it. The Turbo gear type advertisement things. I guess they were a bit random packing them in there, which advert it would be? I think it was that game. Why I had 2 sealed, it was because I opened 1 years ago, then got another sealed, opened that one, then sold off my older one. One less sealed SSS out there!

Also, I recall someone selling a Bomberman 93 on ebay, years ago, i saved a pic from the auction, since it came with a pack-in paper I had never seen before. It was a Bomberman 93 specific pack-in, on white paper, with black text, bomberman 93 logo, etc. . The picture is low resolution, so I can't really make out the text on it, and I never bothered to ask the seller what that pack-in paper was all about. I'll post a pic here, sometime.

So, there are some variation in stuff that got packed in with games, though  posters, stickers seem to be about the same for all the games that included them.

Great info - thank you.  Definitely good to know.

Groover

« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2015, 07:48:48 AM »
This thread has been a good reference for me as well. I had a friend that had a TG16 so I knew of it growing up. I always wanted a TurboDuo and I got one but buying games has been slow. I really like how there are people I can talk with about this system here.

Lately I have been wanting to pickup a Duo-R with a region and RGB mod. I'm getting a Framemiester in the mail for xmas. Also I really like like the size of the PC-Engine (Original,Core,CoreII). I can also see myself getting a SuperGrafx someday. I really feel like I should have purchased games 15 years ago at least.