Author Topic: TurboStick variants  (Read 1665 times)

nullity

TurboStick variants
« on: October 17, 2013, 02:49:24 AM »
I was doing my routing scout of Ebay when i came across something that struck me as odd.  One seller, who claims to have a R@RE sales sample tg16 case posted two Turbo Stick auctions... one is the standard orange gray and black, but the other is just gray and black.

I wasn't aware of any hardware revisions to the turbostick during the life of the 'bob.  Anyone know if this stick is legit or is it most likely just a turbostick that at some point had a different knob screwed onto it?

turboswimbz

Re: TurboStick variants
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 03:22:07 AM »
I was doing my routing scout of Ebay when i came across something that struck me as odd.  One seller, who claims to have a R@RE sales sample tg16 case posted two Turbo Stick auctions... one is the standard orange gray and black, but the other is just gray and black.

I wasn't aware of any hardware revisions to the turbostick during the life of the 'bob.  Anyone know if this stick is legit or is it most likely just a turbostick that at some point had a different knob screwed onto it?

Seen the case before, It is rarer . . . I believe Fifty here on the forum has a case like that one, as well as few others.   I have never seen the variant on the stick, perhaps someone else has seen it? I'd search the forums but that is a pain even with google.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

esteban

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 03:35:27 AM »

The BALL just screws on the SHAFT, so it would be easy for an ordinary person to replace the ball himself (verifying the TurboStick left the factory gray and black is tricky...). I don't think I've ever seen it (I've owned ~10 sticks over the past 20+ years), but anything is possible.

However, $280 for the case is just damn silly.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:48:58 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 03:51:20 AM »
I recall some discussion of early turbosticks with different coloring, but I thought they had different colored buttons too.

In any case, I'll only give a shit if he starts selling Bonk headed joysticks.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 05:38:55 AM »
I have an oddly colored Turbo Pad. It's as though a different version of the overlay was used.  I suspect there's quite a few variations controllers in circulation.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 05:46:46 AM »
I have an oddly colored Turbo Pad. It's as though a different version of the overlay was used.  I suspect there's quite a few variations controllers in circulation.

Take a photo and post it, STAT*!

* Or, at your leisure. 
  |    | 

hoobs88

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »
I have a case like that one but mine has molded plastic inside rather than foam.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

esteban

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 11:04:03 AM »
I have a case like that one but mine has molded plastic inside rather than foam.

Same here.

STATUS: We have the better one! Sure, it means that we have absolutely ZERO FLEXIBILITY, but therein lies the beauty...ONLY GLORIOUS TG-16 + paraphernalia can fit in our cases.

I always wanted the TurboExpress case, too. A few people here have had the hardcase for TE...I didn't know these hardcases existed until a few years ago when someone posted a pic on the forum.
  |    | 

RoyVegas

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 11:12:49 AM »
I didn't know these hardcases existed until a few years ago when someone posted a pic on the forum.

Pfft.  It's widely known that picture references never helped anyone!
All is well. :)

MotherGunner

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 11:34:55 AM »
I have yet to see a Bonk Head attachment.  Do these things even exist?
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 01:21:26 PM »

* Or, at your leisure. 

A photo didn't work too well in showing the difference, I made a video with a regular looking one (one that matches my other turbo pads and converted turbo pad) and the odd one.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 02:44:53 PM »

* Or, at your leisure. 

A photo didn't work too well in showing the difference, I made a video with a regular looking one (one that matches my other turbo pads and converted turbo pad) and the odd one.

Ha! I thought the difference was going to be more drastic than the video revealed.  I thought it was gonna be SUPAH WHITE-GRAY. You know.

Yes, I have seen subtle variations like the one you described...plus, I've seen turbo switches with varying grays, thinner/thicker printing of text, etc.

|    | 

MotherGunner

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 02:45:26 PM »
Are you sure that's not just the thin plastic film?
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

esteban

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 02:58:05 PM »

That would be hilarious!

But, still, there have been subtle variations in the color/printing of components on pads, sticks. 
  |    | 

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 03:31:50 PM »

It's a different type of plastic material on one from the other. The other doesn't have the film on it either.
--DragonmasterDan