Author Topic: TurboStick variants  (Read 1657 times)

jelloslug

Re: TurboStick variants
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 06:26:27 AM »
I have several turbo pads and there are obvious differences between some of them.  I noticed this back in the day and found that the pads that came with the system were different than the ones that were packaged individually.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 07:49:57 AM »
I was doing my routing scout of Ebay when i came across something that struck me as odd.  One seller, who claims to have a R@RE sales sample tg16 case posted two Turbo Stick auctions... one is the standard orange gray and black, but the other is just gray and black.

I wasn't aware of any hardware revisions to the turbostick during the life of the 'bob.  Anyone know if this stick is legit or is it most likely just a turbostick that at some point had a different knob screwed onto it?

The BALL just screws on the SHAFT, so it would be easy for an ordinary person to replace the ball himself (verifying the TurboStick left the factory gray and black is tricky...). I don't think I've ever seen it (I've owned ~10 sticks over the past 20+ years), but anything is possible.

I can confirm this as I mutilated a old snes agvantage arcade stick to take the knob off as I didn't like the orange knob that came with my turbostick.

esteban

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 11:16:51 AM »
ASIDE: Bigus, I loved the WEIGHT of the ADVANTAGE...I was disappointed that the TurboStick lacked this heft.

|    | 

roflmao

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 03:39:26 PM »
ASIDE: Bigus, I loved the WEIGHT of the ADVANTAGE...I was disappointed that the TurboStick lacked this heft.

Me too! Back in the mailing list days I bought an Advantage modded for pce use and it was the bomb. Sadly, I sold it during a moment of stupidity. Not my first, nor my last. If any of the modders here ever added that to their repitoire, I'd send my current advantage to them in an instant, as I don't play my nes nearly as much as I obey. ;)

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 03:53:08 PM »

Me too! Back in the mailing list days I bought an Advantage modded for pce use and it was the bomb. Sadly, I sold it during a moment of stupidity. Not my first, nor my last. If any of the modders here ever added that to their repitoire, I'd send my current advantage to them in an instant, as I don't play my nes nearly as much as I obey. ;)

Someone was selling modded advantages on here a while back too.

I also prefer the advantage to the Turbo stick, it feels sturdier.
--DragonmasterDan

MrFulci

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 07:09:23 PM »
Those hard plastic cases were rental cases. I know, as I acquired mine from a store that rented out the TG-16, when they were getting rid of stock, and let me have the case and system in it.

What is REALLY rare, that I have NEVER seen outside of the time I saw it for display in that store, was the TG-16 system rental poster. I can't recall how exactly it was worded, but something to the effect of pay X amount of money to rent the system, and get 3 games to rent also. or, it was rent ZX amount of games and get a system rental also. The entire poster was one of those word+picture sentence puzzle things. It ended with the line, "It will [Picture of a guy with a leaf blower blowing leaves] away".    It will blow you away. I recall some TG-16 ads used a similar ad style for their magazine ads.

I actually asked TZD about the cases, when they were still around. I can't recall all he told me about them, just, yeah, rental cases, and I think he said they may have been available outside of that, though I am not sure where. I do remember him telling my the TG-16 folks hired a gun case manufacturer to manufacture the cases for the systems.

Mine is hard plastic all around, no foam. I have seen two variations on the molded plastic. Mine has space for a Turbo Booster. I think the other variation I saw lacked that space.

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

esteban

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 11:25:32 PM »
Those hard plastic cases were rental cases. I know, as I acquired mine from a store that rented out the TG-16, when they were getting rid of stock, and let me have the case and system in it.

What is REALLY rare, that I have NEVER seen outside of the time I saw it for display in that store, was the TG-16 system rental poster. I can't recall how exactly it was worded, but something to the effect of pay X amount of money to rent the system, and get 3 games to rent also. or, it was rent ZX amount of games and get a system rental also. The entire poster was one of those word+picture sentence puzzle things. It ended with the line, "It will [Picture of a guy with a leaf blower blowing leaves] away".    It will blow you away. I recall some TG-16 ads used a similar ad style for their magazine ads.

I actually asked TZD about the cases, when they were still around. I can't recall all he told me about them, just, yeah, rental cases, and I think he said they may have been available outside of that, though I am not sure where. I do remember him telling my the TG-16 folks hired a gun case manufacturer to manufacture the cases for the systems.

Mine is hard plastic all around, no foam. I have seen two variations on the molded plastic. Mine has space for a Turbo Booster. I think the other variation I saw lacked that space.

Awesome, I love hearing about these things. 

My case has hard, molded interior with room for TurboBooster, too.

The "rental poster" can be dated to the end of NEC/beginning of TTi, perhaps...I base this on the first appearance of the pictograph advertisements:

BALLISTIX, GUNBOAT & NIGHT CREATURES Pictogram Advertisement (3 pages)

TG-16 + BONK'S REVENGE  Pictogram Advertisement (1 page)

Harnessing the Power of Pictograms to Achieve a Your Marketing Goals
  |    | 

MrFulci

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2013, 01:12:26 AM »

Awesome, I love hearing about these things. 

My case has hard, molded interior with room for TurboBooster, too.

The "rental poster" can be dated to the end of NEC/beginning of TTi, perhaps...I base this on the first appearance of the pictograph advertisements:

BALLISTIX, GUNBOAT & NIGHT CREATURES Pictogram Advertisement (3 pages)

TG-16 + BONK'S REVENGE  Pictogram Advertisement (1 page)

Harnessing the Power of Pictograms to Achieve a Your Marketing Goals

I noticed one of those pictogram advertisements included the guy with a leaf blower. Not a figment of my imagination! I imagine, most rental stores trashed these posters. They weren't like movie rental posters, which some customers would (At least at some rental places I went to would allow) write their info on a rear corner, so when they were being swapped, the customer could then pick-up. If I ever saw one on ebay, I'd bid $25 tops for it.

I think it also was  a last gasp for TG-16 in the USA, as that store had for rent Order of the Griffon, World Sports Competition, etc. TTI games.

Forget about those silly pay-outs for Magical Chase, a TG-16 rental poster is where the rarity is!

* Searching online for, "Turbo grafx Rental poster" leads to a post of mine. Here is info on the store - http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=695.msg8586#msg8586

Vrolokus' (Spelling) link is dead, then again, from 2005. However, I do recall printing it out. Wow, 2005? It's almost 2014? Getting old(er)? Us all!??!?!

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

esteban

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2013, 01:20:36 AM »
I noticed one of those pictogram advertisements included the guy with a leaf blower. Not a figment of my imagination! I imagine, most rental stores trashed these posters. They weren't like movie rental posters, which some customers would (At least at some rental places I went to would allow) write their info on a rear corner, so when they were being swapped, the customer could then pick-up. If I ever saw one on ebay, I'd bid $25 tops for it.

I think it also was  a last gasp for TG-16 in the USA, as that store had for rent Order of the Griffon, World Sports Competition, etc. TTI games.

Forget about those silly pay-outs for Magical Chase, a TG-16 rental poster is where the rarity is!

* Searching online for, "Turbo grafx Rental poster" leads to a post of mine. Here is info on the store - http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=695.msg8586#msg8586

Vrolokus' (Spelling) link is dead, then again, from 2005. However, I do recall printing it out. Wow, 2005? It's almost 2014? Getting old(er)? Us all!??!?!

Seriously, time flies.

That was funny reading about Bullseye...I had forgotten about that silly person.
  |    | 

MrFulci

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2013, 01:41:19 AM »

Seriously, time flies.

That was funny reading about Bullseye...I had forgotten about that silly person.

Looking in my file cabinet to see if I printed out his posting... I don't see a print-out from his blog. I may have it somewhere else, or may have trashed it thinking, "Oh, it's on his blog, if I want to see it again".

Speaking of years back, Esteban, remember that guy who spray painted his Duo-R black?

esteban

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 02:11:51 AM »
Dear Lord (of Thunder), what a painful, painful memory!

It is so difficult to get the finish to look nice with spray paint...and black reveals any imperfections...
  |    | 

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2013, 04:10:00 AM »

Well it didn't stand the rage and fury of what was my brother when he lost to a game. Sad, but true.

MrFulci

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2013, 01:13:45 PM »
I found some pics I saved from when I saw a variation of the hard case on ebay. The one I have has space for less games, but has space for an attached turbo booster.

Also, I found the printout I mentioned above. Glad I saved it, since that site is no longer around.

MrFulci

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2013, 01:14:44 PM »