Author Topic: (Winner Chosen!) DoxPhile - fansite launch and "Club Turbo" raffle invite  (Read 763 times)

nullity

Gentlemen,

At risk of being flagged a spammer, I wanted to share with you something which I've been working on over the last few months, but dreaming about doing for over a decade...

http://DoxPhile.com

At this time, the site is incomplete but should still have enough content to keep you modestly entertained for a short while and give you an idea of what is to come in the future.  And to bribe you into visiting,  I'll be giving away a Club Turbo catalog on Halloween Night to one lucky individual who registers an account and makes at least one post so I know they aren't a spambot.

I had hoped to have the "killer feature" ready for launch, but the reality of parenthood and my day-to-day grind made me realize that I had to launch now, otherwise the raffle would be over with only a handful of PCEngine community chat patrons in the running for it.  See, I'd foolishly announced this raffle thinking the site would be 100% ready to launch weeks ago.

In any event, without further rambling, the stuff that's there right now:
[ul][li]9 game magazines are available for browsing, with tags leading back to each of the...[/li][li]144 game info pages, which each contain a discussion forum and also have the tags leading back to the...[/li][li]183 page scans (with 278 tags in all at the moment)[/li][/ul] Every week I've been adding a magazine or two to the Media Archive, and virtually every day more information is added to our Games Database

The killer feature that isn't there just yet is the ability to put a checkmark in the "i own that" box next to anything in the database (including sub-items like case, manual, sleeve, map, etc...) and have it linked to your forum profile where you can earn achievements (goofy titles, badges, ect..).  Beyond just building a personal collection database, I also plan to allow users to flag items in their collection as available for sale or trade, so that everyone may browse each others' offerings in a marketplace of sorts. 

So there you have it.  My long winded way of saying "hey, look what I made... come tinker with it!".  I know not everything I'm offering is unique among sites in this community, but I hope you'll find the whole is more than the sum of its parts.

--------------UPDATE-------------
Random.com chose a winner for this raffle:

Thanks to all who entered, and thanks to everyone else who checked out the site!  I hope to see you all around there in the future- but don't get your hopes up, I'll still be around here as well!  Hahha

I've prepared a consolation prize for everyone, too, in the form of uploading the 17th magazine to the site.  Turbo Play #13 (June/July '92):

http://DoxPhile.com/?action=magazines&magazine=1&issue=13

enjoy!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 06:11:55 PM by nullity »

nodtveidt

Re: DoxPhile - fansite launch and "Club Turbo" raffle invite
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 05:10:31 PM »
About time ya launched it 4 realz. :)

Retrocool

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 05:47:39 PM »
(THUMBS UP)
It is what it is and it will be what it will be!

Looking for some games, but I will prolly never find.  Sapphire, Magical Chase (US)

kiketonto

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 07:04:48 PM »
Another web dedicated to the greatest console ever?
That's great! Let's go to see your work!

KingDrool

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 03:13:26 AM »
Wow! I really like the site. I'll give it some more time later, but I love the whole look of it. Nice work!
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

turbokon

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 03:48:30 AM »
Looks awesome, I will certainly sign up for sure.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Sparky

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 04:46:46 AM »
ya i like the design, the name would have not been my first choice but i will sign up :)

roflmao

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 06:17:44 AM »
Wow, you've been busy!  It's looking great, null!

sunteam_paul

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 06:38:05 AM »
Anyone that clicks 'I own this' on Deep Blue should get insta-banned from the forums.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

FiftyQuid

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 06:58:29 AM »
Looks good.  :)  Registered.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

420GOAT

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 07:47:54 AM »
i cant get past the visual security code. whats up?
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

MotherGunner

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 08:20:26 AM »
i cant get past the visual security code. whats up?

It must be the glaucoma!  ( ;  I'll change it to an easier to see captcha... that one threw me for a loop a few times, too, and honestly, i don't think it has deterred too many spambots despite being fiendishly difficult to decipher.

Same here, I exceeded my attempts and no joy.  My vision is decent!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

MotherGunner

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 09:28:16 AM »
I'm registered, thanks!  Awaiting approval.

=)
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

420GOAT

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 11:01:27 AM »
site looks good, and i was able to register.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

esteban

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 06:36:35 PM »
I will explore it more closely tomorrow, but you KNOW I love projects like this, especially the magazine scans!

|    |