Author Topic: Black & White picture on DUO-RX  (Read 500 times)

LeeT

Black & White picture on DUO-RX
« on: April 08, 2006, 01:00:49 AM »
I've just purchased a Turbo Duo-RX (Japanese) through eBay.  It comes with the typical red, white and yellow leads to connect to the tv.  As I have a scart connection, I used my Xbox SCART converter to link them up and I just get a black & white picture through the AV channel.

I've tried tuning it through the normal channels and get nothing.  Does anyone have any hints on what to do to get a colour picture (I'm using a Bush TV)?

Thanks in advance  :)

FM-77

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 01:13:53 AM »
I assume you're in Europe (or at least in a PAL region).

PAL TVs generally don't accept NTSC signals (60Hz) -- it'll be in black and white. There's one solution to that: RGB. Unfortunately, the Duo doesn't output RGB (natively), but a mod can fix that.

Pinouts: http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/duoav.htm
RGB mod: http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/duorgb.php

LeeT

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 01:17:13 AM »
Thanks for that info - Yes I'm in the uk.  I'm not too good with techy stuff and I would probably blow up the machine, so I'll have to look for a tv that accepts both PAL and NTSC signals, I guess!  :)

FM-77

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 01:23:00 AM »
Quote from: "LeeT"
Thanks for that info - Yes I'm in the uk.  I'm not too good with techy stuff and I would probably blow up the machine, so I'll have to look for a tv that accepts both PAL and NTSC signals, I guess!  :)

Okay, but PAL TVs that will display NTSC composite video (red, white and yellow leads) in color are quite expensive.

On top of it all, RGB picture is HIGHLY superior to ANYTHING. RGB picture is THE best you can get. You should try to find someone in the UK to mod the system for you, it is cheaper than getting a new TV -- AND you get better picture!  :wink:

Superfamifreak (on this board) lives in the UK and he might do it for you.

LeeT

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 01:40:54 AM »
Thanks again - I've sent him a pm.  :)

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 03:34:00 AM »
Superfamifreak doesnt post here very often. You'll get a better chance of reaching him at Neo Geo.com.

Oh yeah I got your Myspace invite.

Digi.k

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 04:29:08 AM »
I'm assuming you are using one of these scart plug/convertors right ??

Probably the reason why you are getting a B&W image is that some of the pins on the SCART end are arranged differently for the XBOX so you may need to order a more general scart convertor.. I got mine from lik sang a loong time ago though...

But it works ..

I'm planning  to get it converted to true scart as composite has too much "mesh" for my liking but I'm afraid of soldering myself..

Still if you want to get it done by a supplier and don't mind paying a bit you can try out these guys in South London.

http://www.ravengames.co.uk/

I've used them in the past although I plan on going back there sometime in the future.

If you are still getting B&W pictures then maybe it might be time to chuck out that Bush TV..  

I'm gonna get a HDTV sometime this year (or early next) but I hear you need to order an upscan converter as old machines look nasty on high res TVs...

malducci

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 08:23:18 AM »
but I hear you need to order an upscan converter as old machines look nasty on high res TVs...

Yeah, any low res looks nasty on HDTV. Ofcourse I'm in the US so I don't if it's the same for EU or UK. Even when the new systems output low res ( 240p) it looks nasty - megaman x collection is a good example of this. PSX and Saturn also look pretty nasty.

I usually run the emus to the TV instead. I also run it via composite instead of component output so I get that old school filtering on top of the emu filters.

Oh yeah, check out this link for upscan options.

Superfamifreak

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 09:07:44 AM »
Quote from: "Seldane"
Okay, but PAL TVs that will display NTSC composite video (red, white and yellow leads) in color are quite expensive.

Not necessarily.

The Sony KV28HX15U which is what I have is only 249.99 from Currys online or 269.99 in store.

That has worked with everything I've thrown at it and is well worth it for the price. My PCE which is running through composite loooks good on it. I'll do a pic at some point over the weekend.

As for getting it modded, DO NOT use Raven Games. They well overcharge, as do Console Passion.

I'd have to look at the cost of parts before doing any mod but I can pretty much undercut either of those places.

To give you a rough idea, my usual charges in UKP are:

SNES - region free & 50/60Hz switch - 10 + return postage
Master System 50/60Hz switch - 5 + return postage
Mega Drive double switched & cart slot widened - 10 + return postage
NES region free mod - 5 + return postage

On the Master System & mega Drive I can also add Composite & Audio Jacks, although if you have a switched system, it's pointless as you may as well get a RGB lead.

Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
Oh yeah I got your Myspace invite.

I invited you as well :D

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 10:09:59 AM »
Oh snap, word up SFF!

FM-77

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 10:18:22 AM »
Quote from: "Superfamifreak"
I'd have to look at the cost of parts before doing any mod but I can pretty much undercut either of those places.

You don't really need any parts for RGB modding a PCE. The only parts I used when I modded mine was a female DIN-8 plug, some wires and a Saturn RGB cable that I modified (added a male DIN-8 plug and rearranged the wires a bit).

And I believe the Saturn natively outputs 1080i if you're using RGB.

Digi.k

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 01:09:31 PM »
Oh the other thing that came to my mind is how many AV channels does your TV have ??

Because some TVs have like; AV1, RGB, AV2, YC2 etc.. might try flicking through those if you got it and see if you get a colour pic in any of them especially if your TV has multiple scart sockets and connections..

interesting link there Malducci ^^

Superfamifreak

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 09:16:25 PM »
I'm guessing the TV only has one  scart socket.

Usually on newer TV's, there is AV1 which is also the RGB socket, AV2 and composite inputs on the side or front.

I'm just guessing that his TV can't accept a 60Hz signal.

LeeT

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 01:06:37 AM »
I'm guessing the TV only has one  scart socket.

Usually on newer TV's, there is AV1 which is also the RGB socket, AV2 and composite inputs on the side or front.

Yes my telly has one SCART socket - Tried the RGB channel and there is no picture at all (whereas the SCART channel has a b&w picture).

I've bought a SCART socket for the RGB to go into with a 'Input/Output' switch - Fingers crossed, it might work.  If not, modding will be the answer!

Thanks all!  :)

Drazic

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 06:58:30 AM »

Much TV's do accept PAL 60Hz but still dont accept NTSC 60 Hz.