Author Topic: First impressions!  (Read 376 times)

Siskan

First impressions!
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:08:57 AM »
Getting 39 games at once is a bit overwhelming. I'd like to get into the games rather than just trying all of them out for five minutes, so I decided to limit myself to one HuCard game and one CD game for at least a few days. I went with Langrisser which is one of the games I've been most curious about (being a Fire Emblem fan). I haven't played the Mega Drive version either. As for HuCard, I picked Final Lap: Twin for the sake of contrast.

I love Langrisser so far. It has a nice variation when it comes to the objectives of each chapter scenario and the music is fantastic. The game froze two times in maybe eight hours of playing though, which is quite frustrating, especially in a game like this, where you don't get to save until you've finished a scenario. Is this "normal"?

I'm not as happy with Final Lap though. It reminds me a bit about Pole Position which I haven't played in ages, but it was more fun as far as I can remember. I may be missing something out here though. It seems like all you need to do is learning how to time pressing and releasing left or right in the curves and you're good to go. In  the quest mode however, buying all the parts in the starting town and doing more or less perfect laps still doesn't seem to guarantee winning the random encounter racing duels... I'd rather play F-Zero for a similar but more enjoyable experience.

The console itself... I wanted the regular Duo at first, simply because it looks a lot better. I gotta say my Duo R looks way better in reality than it does on pictures though. I can't logically explain this, as it's usually the other way around. Well, other than freezing and only having one controller port, it's nice. Doesn't make much noise either.

I posted this in another thread at first, so I'll comment on a couple of comments from there:
^ My Duo R never froze on me. But playing CD Rs on it will destroy it.

Try Final Lap Twin's RPG mode / story mode HEAVEN
Why is there no doubt it will come to that? What's the cause?
Also, that's what I played, I just forgot what it was called.

Froze?  Maybe it failed to load.

Or, did it just hang in the middle of like, clicking around?
I forgot when it happened the first time, but the second time was the moment the enemy's turn was supposed to start.

turboswimbz

Re: First impressions!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:32:25 AM »
The game froze two times in maybe eight hours of playing though

DID YOU TRY THE LID TRICK?
DO YOU KNOW THE LID TRICK?
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Siskan

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
DID YOU TRY THE LID TRICK?
DO YOU KNOW THE LID TRICK?

Nope, please teach a necomer to the PCE system : )

turboswimbz

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 10:50:27 AM »
When your game freezes, this happens a lot during games like langrisser that load a lot, with older lasers ect.  Hit the lid relesease button but hold down the lid so it only opens slightly up, not enoiugh to actually open the lid.  Press the lid back down. and the the CD will reload where it was at.  It works for me like 99% of the time.  I've done it with langrisser a few times.

Love that game.
Glad your enjoying it.

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

Siskan

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 10:58:41 AM »
Ah, thanks for the tip. I won't need to  worry as much about it now then I suppose.

I did however just get a freeze on Final Lap now... Which isn't even on a CD. I was just walking around on the map and The sound cut out and the whole picture jumped down one half of the screen. (Leaving the upper half of the picture on the lower half of the screen, with the upper half black.

The positive news is that I found out I had just missed the faster of the motors on sale somehow. I'll have to revise my views on this game soon.

turboswimbz

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 11:00:23 AM »
Ah, thanks for the tip. I won't need to  worry as much about it now then I suppose.

I did however just get a freeze on Final Lap now... Which isn't even on a CD. I was just walking around on the map and The sound cut out and the whole picture jumped down one half of the screen. (Leaving the upper half of the picture on the lower half of the screen, with the upper half black.

The positive news is that I found out I had just missed the faster of the motors on sale somehow. I'll have to revise my views on this game soon.

Yeah try cleaniing the HuCARD and the slot sometimes that is the issue there.  AND FLT is awesome.  Nice little game.  One of the Turbobs Surprises.

esteban

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 11:26:27 AM »
Welcome, Siskan.

Final Lap Twin has very basic mechanics, so once you master the controls, you are good to go.

I however, can do something stupid in FLT and end up fighting just to rank. Damn, it gets intense when you're struggling to survive.
  |    | 

bob

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 01:39:28 PM »
When your game freezes, this happens a lot during games like langrisser that load a lot, with older lasers ect.  Hit the lid relesease button but hold down the lid so it only opens slightly up, not enoiugh to actually open the lid.  Press the lid back down. and the the CD will reload where it was at.  It works for me like 99% of the time.  I've done it with langrisser a few times.

Love that game.
Glad your enjoying it.

I used to just tap on the lid gently which also worked 99% of the time.

pixeljunkie

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 04:01:42 AM »
If you like Fire Emblem hunt down Louga 2!

http://mercenaryforce.web.fc2.com/pcengine/pce/00350.html
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:03:37 AM by pixeljunkie »

Xak

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 04:03:30 AM »
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:11:25 AM by Xak »
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

Siskan

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 05:23:33 AM »
These suggestions are very appreciated, thank you!

syphic

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 12:47:18 PM »
Agree with you on the DUOR. Never liked it in pictures but in person its just oh so sexy!
Awesome trades and deals with:
Fiftyquid, thesteve, keithcourage, mothergunner, Bernie, turboswimbz, Bardoly, BlueBMW, Galam, Nullity, Jtucci31, sirhcman,  Elderboroom, dicer

turboswimbz

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 06:14:54 AM »

Love that game.
Glad your enjoying it.

I used to just tap on the lid gently which also worked 99% of the time.

My regular duo didn't like this, but I've tried this with the DUO-R and it works!

geise

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 01:45:29 AM »
Sounds like some people need new lenses or a slower burner.