Author Topic: YouTube PC Engine/Turbografx 16 Gameplay Home Movies  (Read 3805 times)

esteban

YouTube PC Engine/Turbografx 16 Gameplay Home Movies
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2006, 03:32:44 AM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
Quote from: "stevek666"
I just beat Genpei Toumaden 2 three minutes before making this post.
I'll have to practice this game harder before making any more vids of it.
OK, you can tell me how far I got in the game. I can get up to the boss at the waterfall -- the "whistle" music plays as the boss slowly descends.

Back in the day, I could beat him every now and then (pure luck), but now when I get to him, I just totally choke.

Did I at least make it halfway through the game? The map, IIRC, looked like I barely made it 1/4 - 1/3 of the way. :)
Yeah that's like Round 3.

This is one of those games where you really have to study boss patterns...
Ha! I knew I didn't make it far in the game. Yes, the kool thing about the game is that you actually do use all the different moves: blocking, up+swing vs. down+swing vs. swing, etc.

I know that you can jump over the "Red Gates" at the end of every stage. Sometimes there is a second gate to enter (and sometimes its a different color -- yellow? -- as well). Have you figured out any strategy to these gates? IIRC, they take you to different sub-stages.

Without spoiling things: are there many more parts with crumbling bricks that disappear from underneath your feet? I figure there must be :).
  |    | 

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2006, 04:19:14 AM »
I just beat Genpei Toumaden 2 three minutes before making this post.
I'll have to practice this game harder before making any more vids of it.
OK, you can tell me how far I got in the game. I can get up to the boss at the waterfall -- the "whistle" music plays as the boss slowly descends.

Back in the day, I could beat him every now and then (pure luck), but now when I get to him, I just totally choke.

Did I at least make it halfway through the game? The map, IIRC, looked like I barely made it 1/4 - 1/3 of the way. :)
Yeah that's like Round 3.

This is one of those games where you really have to study boss patterns...
Ha! I knew I didn't make it far in the game. Yes, the kool thing about the game is that you actually do use all the different moves: blocking, up+swing vs. down+swing vs. swing, etc.

I know that you can jump over the "Red Gates" at the end of every stage. Sometimes there is a second gate to enter (and sometimes its a different color -- yellow? -- as well). Have you figured out any strategy to these gates? IIRC, they take you to different sub-stages.

Without spoiling things: are there many more parts with crumbling bricks that disappear from underneath your feet? I figure there must be :).

I never actually tried jumping over the gates. Yellow gates are bonus rounds as previously mentioned after optional mid bosses are beaten.

There's more of those block crumbling stages ahead. But wait til you get the ice stages where the ground is slippery, and you'll have to play "hurdles".

There is one more certain stage to tell about though. It's very very easy. At the beginning, it gives you a sword power up, but all you'll be doing is jumping demon dogs and small platforms. Never attack ANYTHING, because at the end of that phase, there's a giant centipede that you can kill in several hits otherwise it'll take forever and it'll chase your ass down too if you try killing it with your standard sword.

esteban

« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2006, 09:15:19 AM »
I never actually tried jumping over the gates. Yellow gates are bonus rounds as previously mentioned after optional mid bosses are beaten.

There's more of those block crumbling stages ahead. But wait til you get the ice stages where the ground is slippery, and you'll have to play "hurdles".

There is one more certain stage to tell about though. It's very very easy. At the beginning, it gives you a sword power up, but all you'll be doing is jumping demon dogs and small platforms. Never attack ANYTHING, because at the end of that phase, there's a giant centipede that you can kill in several hits otherwise it'll take forever and it'll chase your ass down too if you try killing it with your standard sword.
Dude, you'll have fun jumping over the gates! Maybe the yellow gates only appear after beating the sub-boss (my memory is hazy), but there are definitely instances where a second red gate (or archway) can be accessed by hurdling over the first one.

ICE!? Noooooooo..... That actually sounds vaguely familiar, I wonder if I got that far in one of my lucky games back in the day.

Ninja, you've inspired me to re-visit this game!
  |    | 

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2006, 03:49:03 PM »
That's it. As soon as my dad gets in bed, i'm gonna record the rest of the game. If I die, oh well....

the reason I say that is that if he calls me for something, my video is ruined by just catching his voice.

BTW fun question. anyone got friend requests from different people on Youtube yet because of our vids?
I just got one just now.

Keranu

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2006, 04:45:14 PM »
I haven't got any of those friend requests yet, I wasn't aware of that feature either. It's nice to see that you got one though! Lets raid YouTube with more videos!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2006, 07:27:41 PM »
I just beat Samurai Ghost again. And I videotaped it from beginning to end.

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

Round 6

Final    

I'ma make GT2/SG fun for y'all. I guaranf*ckingtee.

Digi.k

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2006, 09:02:11 AM »
just need to know this cause i'm uploading stuff and this time recording from a proper camcorder but some of your gameplay footage is over 6 mins long.. how big are the mpeg files you all are uploading ??

Some of my stuff is around 2 mins but its already about 15 megs big.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2006, 09:26:10 AM »
they're all over 50Megs.

Because I died twice in Round 6 and been cautious on tactics, the round 6 video is at 98Megs.

Keranu

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2006, 01:03:48 PM »
I encode my videos from .avi format (which were around 50mb) to .mpg (which reduce it to around 20-30mb).
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Bonknuts

« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2006, 02:53:34 PM »
I'll add one. I don't have a camera, but I did input the PCE into the capture card 8)

Keranu

« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2006, 03:19:37 PM »
Haha, that's awesome.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2006, 03:21:44 PM »
Quote from: "Bonknuts"
I'll add one. I don't have a camera, but I did input the PCE into the capture card 8)

that's even better, my VCR > PC capture device for some reason won't do direct feed on old school systems. the preview screen would freeze and I can't capture anything. It can do it on Playstation 2 and XBox though.

Bonknuts

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2006, 07:00:07 PM »
my VCR > PC capture device for some reason won't do direct feed on old school systems.

Is it a composite to firewire/usb device or an actual internal card?

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2006, 07:01:40 PM »
Quote from: "Bonknuts"
my VCR > PC capture device for some reason won't do direct feed on old school systems.

Is it a composite to firewire/usb device or an actual internal card?

Composite to USB device.

Bonknuts

« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2006, 08:01:48 PM »
I guess it doesn't like the 240p signal of the old system :(

I remember some guys were using there Mini DV cams as capture devices. They'd hook up the composite signal into the external input of the camera, and run the firewire output to the PC/MAC  - instant capture device.