Author Topic: YouTube PC Engine/Turbografx 16 Gameplay Home Movies  (Read 3804 times)

handygrafx

YouTube PC Engine/Turbografx 16 Gameplay Home Movies
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2006, 09:42:07 AM »
hell i could be another  "me too" and say, 'yeah the Genesis and SuperGrafx versions  of Ghouls 'n Ghosts were really great ports of the arcade, nearly arcade perfect'  and be done with it.   but then, that would be boring, untrue and not helpful to someone who wants a detailed comparison.  :lol:

all this 'passion'  (lol) goes back to me as a little kid being HORRIFIED and dismayed that Genesis Altered Beast was not 'exactly' like the arcade-- my first look at the Genesis version, i instantly saw how it was different, not as good as the arcade game that i had been playing every chance i could.

Keranu

« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2006, 11:16:23 AM »
Welcome back, SuperGrafx/handygrafx/Airraidx/etc..! It's nice to see that you boldly posted that you weren't dissing the Genesis or Super Grafx versions in any way but honestly saying that they aren't arcade perfect.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

handygrafx

« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2006, 11:37:14 AM »
exactly!    i love the SuperGrafx, Genesis, TurboGrafx/PC-Engine, TurboDuo
etc.

i'm just against the liberal use of any word, phrase or implication that games are identical to the arcade if they're not.

NEC and Hudson never really pushed those false ideas, but Sega did in the beginning with Genesis  (and im a huge Sega fan).

GameFan was one of the worse magazines in that regard but there were many others.  
(i still enjoyed GameFan and many of their staff are kewl including ECM)

i also hate censorship.  on neo-geo.com forum, they're really like little laughing hinena NAZIs over there. its disgusting.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2006, 12:36:38 PM »
Quote from: "handygrafx"

all this 'passion'  (lol) goes back to me as a little kid being HORRIFIED and dismayed that Genesis Altered Beast was not 'exactly' like the arcade-- my first look at the Genesis version, i instantly saw how it was different, not as good as the arcade game that i had been playing every chance i could.

Hahah even though I enjoyed the Genesis version, I know what you mean. If you were playing two player on the arcade version (in which one of my friends has a cabinet of in his own house) and both of you were werewolves, the game would have an insanely hectic pace if you just kept doing the dash attack non stop. Genesis version didn't have that because it could only go so fast.

Bonknuts

« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2006, 04:03:24 PM »
now, i've got a samsung digital camcorder that can obviously make superior videos than what i did with a 3.1 megapixel digicam. it uses mini-DVD-RW + SDcard.

Like I said fetish... but it's okay :D

Seriously though, the more PCE vids (and SGX too) the better  :wink:

Double Dragon II and Bloody Wolf videos uploaded.

No link?

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2006, 07:35:56 PM »
Quote from: "Bonknuts"

No link?

I figured since there's enough PCE/TG videos uploaded, all you gotta do now is just type in "PC Engine" and they're there.

masvil

« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2006, 12:06:11 AM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
More Ninja Gaiden vids.

Ehi, final boss of level 6 is very hard to beat. Congratulation!
MasviL

sunteam_paul

« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2006, 02:35:16 AM »

No link?

I figured since there's enough PCE/TG videos uploaded, all you gotta do now is just type in "PC Engine" and they're there.

We're far too lazy for that.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

masvil

« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2006, 03:34:47 AM »
Here it is.
Dracula X action.

I would like to watch a level 4 final boss gameplay, please  :)
MasviL

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2006, 04:09:51 AM »
Quote from: "sunteam_paul"

No link?

We're far too lazy for that.

Yeah, good point now that I think about it.

Double Dragon II

Bloody Wolf

handygrafx

« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2006, 11:11:35 AM »

Hahah even though I enjoyed the Genesis version, I know what you mean. If you were playing two player on the arcade version (in which one of my friends has a cabinet of in his own house) and both of you were werewolves, the game would have an insanely hectic pace if you just kept doing the dash attack non stop. Genesis version didn't have that because it could only go so fast.

well yeah true, but there's alot more to it than that.   not only are the Genesis graphics VERY significantly different (downgraded or cut out) from the arcade, i.e.  sprites, color, animation, missing FX. etc. -  but also the pacing and the gameplay difficulty are far different on Genesis.  the Genesis Altered Beast is MUCH easier than the arcade, and generally goes at a faster pace because of this.  although the arcade is more hectic as you said because enemies don't die as easily.

the one thing the Genesis version had that the arcade did not, was parallax scrolling.  but that did not make up for the overall downgraded, washed out graphics with smaller sprites, less animation, missing scaling/zooming effects. etc.

of course, the Genesis version is overall the best home version of the arcade overall.  the music is very close to the arcade.  music from Sega System16 to Genesis did not suffer much downgrade.

the PC-Engine HuCard (never saw the CD-ROM version) although not on par with the Genesis version in many areas (music, parallax)  the developer (NEC Avenue?)  actually tried to be more faithful to the arcade
in other ways, than Sega's own Genesis version. more color, sprites that look more like arcade, effects that attempt to immitate the arcade more.
still, the Genesis version was superior overall, dispite this.  neither system could reproduce the System16 arcade - i would've loved to have seen the SuperGrafx try though, with a 16 meg SHuCard.

i was pretty pissed when, years later, the Sega Smash Pack for Dreamcast and PC  had the Genesis versions of Altered Beast and Golden Axe instead of the arcade.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2006, 02:40:34 PM »
Aight fellaz, keep the NEC/Hudson love flowing through youtube.

While you're at it, I'm gonna be doing Sega master system videos for a bit, Keranu and I saw there's not enough of those either :D. the hands on retro action shall be spread!

Keranu

« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2006, 04:37:52 PM »
And after I do some more PCE videos, I'll be doing some 3DO and PC-FX ones! :)
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Digi.k

« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2006, 04:57:28 PM »
way ahead of ya with the sega saturn video stuff (although I suck at the radiant silvergun)

Ahem* i 'll try and get some more PCE stuff later this may ^__^

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2006, 05:23:05 PM »
Yeah I just put up Time Soldiers and Kenseiden vids.