Author Topic: Download vs. Download 2  (Read 575 times)

Mathius

Re: Download vs. Download 2
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 01:38:49 AM »
I can't vote as I haven't played the 2nd game yet. But from what I have seen the art style in DL2 can't touch the awesomeness of DL1's art. Add in the stellar parallax for Hu Card and I think DL1 is going to be the clear winner. A true gem.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

A Black Falcon

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 06:35:23 PM »
The second game actually has a fair amount of parallax too.  In that regard it's not too different from the first one, I think.

Flare65

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 09:30:38 AM »
Anyone have a translation of the second game?  I've beaten it a few times and I'd like to know what the story is about and what actually happens at the end. 

From what I can tell, someone has Hitler's brain in a box and in the end the lead character's brain gets zapped by his own ship.

Black Tiger

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 10:19:37 AM »
I can't vote as I haven't played the 2nd game yet. But from what I have seen the art style in DL2 can't touch the awesomeness of DL1's art. Add in the stellar parallax for Hu Card and I think DL1 is going to be the clear winner. A true gem.

It's kind of the opposite actually. Some people prefer the character designs/art style of the minimal cinemas in the original Download, but Download 2 has more cinema content than the average PCE RPG and is very detailed and animated. The in-game art and parallax in Download 2 is also a major upgrade, with the best two stages for parallax in the first game being recreated in the sequel, separate from some of the more advanced parallax Download 2 employs in other places.

I'd have to play them again back to back to compare gameplay, but Download 2 will always be my favorite because of the art, style and Black Sabbath soundtrack. This game is what a Heavy Metal movie should have been. It's one of those unique "only-on-PC Engine" games that sets the console's library apart from others.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Mathius

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 11:33:19 AM »

It's kind of the opposite actually. Some people prefer the character designs/art style of the minimal cinemas in the original Download, but Download 2 has more cinema content than the average PCE RPG and is very detailed and animated. The in-game art and parallax in Download 2 is also a major upgrade, with the best two stages for parallax in the first game being recreated in the sequel, separate from some of the more advanced parallax Download 2 employs in other places.

I'd have to play them again back to back to compare gameplay, but Download 2 will always be my favorite because of the art, style and Black Sabbath soundtrack. This game is what a Heavy Metal movie should have been. It's one of those unique "only-on-PC Engine" games that sets the console's library apart from others.

Okay you've sold me. I gotta try it now. :)
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

awack

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 08:22:59 PM »
Black Tiger is right, Down load 2 has much better parallax scrolling, one level has 4 over lapping scrolls, which are on top of a line scrolling desert, and behind all that you have clouds scrolling at a different speed than the mountains below, very similar to the 3rd level in Macross 2036, but not quite as good. I haven't played the first DL game in a long time, so going just by aesthetics alone, DownLoad 2 blows the 1st game away, better  in game art/use of color, better animation etc.

shubibiman

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 04:24:39 AM »
It's hard for me to vote as I like both.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 04:46:38 AM »
Download is the best because of this

and this

/end thread
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Black Tiger

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 06:13:18 AM »
Cackling-mecha-Hitler-brain-spider-fetus-squirter alone is more epic than anything in the first Download game, let alone all the details packed into its stage.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Nando

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 08:30:21 AM »
Interesting, I've never played the 2nd one but REALLY like the 1st one. It has that classic 90's Neo-Tokyo futurist vibe that we all love and grew up with.

Dang it, another game to add to the never ending list!  I need to check out the art on #2.

Thanks for the review BT!