Author Topic: Magic The Gathering: The trading card game  (Read 3745 times)

munchiaz

Magic The Gathering: The trading card game
« on: December 15, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »
Any of you guys playing magic? I've been playing off and on since 1998. I stopped around 2005 with betrayers of kamigawa and said i wouldn't get back into it, but here i am again, and now i am back into the game. I just picked it back up with Theros, and I'm having a great time so far. I do have a standard deck (some proxy cards) but what i really enjoy is drafting.

I feel that drafting is the best form of playing magic. It gets rid of the people who are willing to drop tons of money on cards to make the best deck being played. Its so strategic, much more so than standard or limited. You have to make sure you cut the right color, that the other 7 at the table aren't cutting, you also have to take risk. Like taking a good card thats a different color, so you may not have to deal with it later.

So what do you guys enjoy about magic. Share here. 

hoobs88

Re: Magic The Gathering: The trading card game
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 03:34:28 PM »
I've been playing Magic since 93. My favorite format is Sealed. I enjoy brewing new decks for Standard too. Especially with underdog cards that noone plays with. I recently won 1st place at an Invitational Qualifier with a Master of Cruelties deck.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 04:08:48 PM »
I play, but don't really keep up with the current shit because the sets are all kind of lame.  I just go cherry pick cards from the latest sets for my decks.

Standard sucks to me because it usually involves cards that I don't really like.

Mirage is my favorite era in Magic.   

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

jeffhlewis

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 04:17:31 PM »
I played MTG waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day (7th/8th grade maybe?). Started playing at the tail end of Unlimited and into Revised. Quit around the time that Fallen Empires came out. Chronicles made tournaments almost unbearable, that shit pissed me off when it came out.

Think I still have a few boxes of these bad boys laying around somewhere in storage. Should probably dig them out some time.

munchiaz

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 04:22:47 PM »
I've been playing Magic since 93. My favorite format is Sealed. I enjoy brewing new decks for Standard too. Especially with underdog cards that noone plays with. I recently won 1st place at an Invitational Qualifier with a Master of Cruelties deck.

Very nice. Whats your deck list. Right now im playing a mono black devotion, but i dont think i will be playing game tournaments with it, just because mutavaults are to hard to come by. I really like that master of cruelties decks ive looked at alot. I might have to look into building one myself

TheClash603

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 05:15:17 PM »
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLB_Showdown

Collectible card games began and ended with MLB showdown.

I played MTG for about a year when I was in 4th or 5th grade (circa 1993), but that was it.  Play Digimon for a while when I was probably too old to be playing Digimon.

Punch

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 10:20:39 PM »
I prefer Yugioh... ddddduel!

Not that I really have a stack of trading cards... I only play on videogames (I like Yugioh 5ds on the PS3, even being as half assed as it is). Can't find anyone interested in those card games.

turboswimbz

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 12:40:52 AM »
I play casually.  Never enjoyed the whole tournament thing.  I just bought a theros booster box to play with.  My brother and I will both make a deck from the cards we got and play em' for fun, then invite other people over to do the same.  I'll agree with ark that the newer sets are, well kinda lame.  I'm liking theros so far though.   Been fooling around with a minotaur deck recently.

Sealed is fine, but I only played a few times at the local magic place, which smells bad, and is cramped and full of people who give table top and video gamers a bad name.  The biggest problem at this place was that the players get to keep the cards they drafted, so I won easily both times becuase everyone else was just grabbing the rares, and ended up with no real deck.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

OldSchoolGamer

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 01:45:46 AM »
I used to play magic way back in the day(I started right after revised edition was going out but really started getting into it before/when ice age came out. I will never forget being new/stupid to the game and upon my first 3 ice age packs getting a jesters cap, than trading it off for 3 shit rares to a friends brother at the time who was really into the game and knew much much more than I did. HAHA stupid me but keeps the memories alive...

I played/collected Magic for YEARS...both for fun and in small tournaments that hosted drafting, actual tournaments w/ the updated sets, and w/(cant remember the name) the version of tournaments where you could use decks of older sets. I used to have decks worth $300-$600+ when I played in those tourny's back then.

Anyway, I have not been following magic anymore since I gave it up so I have no idea what's going on now/whats new etc. Once they hugely changed the rules to me it killed the game itself and turned a 15+ year player away for good. Taking away mana burn, calling the in play area "the battlefield" and everything else they did killed it bigtime for me. That is just one man's feelings/opinions. I sold off/gave away all my cards/decks for little to nothing after that. I WAS going to keep my Chaos Orb card just for remembrance and shit but I decided everything was going so that sold for cheap as f*ck(less than $30) as I didn't care.

If you still play yugiohmagic the gathering(as I call it) than good for you and I hope you are having fun. Magic used to be a very fun, strategic, and entertaining game to play...for fun or serious. I wont ever get back into it(my buddy who stopped playing than restarted tried hard to get me to go back to the tourny's w/ him and play/get back into it...but I refuse as I truly hate w/ a passion what they did to the game and what its become. He's doing well though...winning tourny's and loves drafting.

I admit I miss it a little at times but it passes. Was cool to see this post...been awhile since I talked about it/thought about it and I had no idea anyone on here was into it.
(14:42:34) OSG: real life should have such things as achievements
(14:43:11) OSG: You just banged 2 girls at once.... ACHIEVEMENT!
(14:43:48) chop5: not only that,theres gonna be hidden adds too
(14:47:59) OSG: You ate a girl out...ACHIEVEMENT! (in the background theres a poster... "Hungry? Come eat at TGI FRIDAYS!"

jeffhlewis

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 03:05:11 AM »
Anyway, I have not been following magic anymore since I gave it up so I have no idea what's going on now/whats new etc. Once they hugely changed the rules to me it killed the game itself and turned a 15+ year player away for good. Taking away mana burn, calling the in play area "the battlefield" and everything else they did killed it bigtime for me. That is just one man's feelings/opinions. I sold off/gave away all my cards/decks for little to nothing after that. I WAS going to keep my Chaos Orb card just for remembrance and shit but I decided everything was going so that sold for cheap as f*ck(less than $30) as I didn't care.

If I remember correctly I traded a f*cking Time Walk for something from Legends that got reprinted in Chronicles (part of the reason I hated Chronicles so much). That set murdered card values.

I was a player first and a collector second, but values were important in the trade market when you were trying to get elusive and more powerful cards to complete a deck. This is of course back before they gimped all of the rules. I got smoked in tournaments all the time by guys who had 3-4 Black Lotuses in their deck.

But hey I was in middle school. Mowing lawns isn't going to buy you a set of moxes.

munchiaz

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 04:46:50 AM »
Yeah ita crazt that they changed the rules for ma a burn and legendary cards. But i think they did it to bring in more players. Casuals dont like to think about damaging themselves while playing. It sucks for the players who grew up with these rules in play. But with so many TCGs out there, things had to change to stay compeitive

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 04:52:58 AM »
I laughed at my friends who sold their black lotus cards.  I said "man, keep those. "

they were like NO I CAN GET 400$ FOR THEM.

yeah, now you could buy a f*cking house with one.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

vestcoat

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 05:31:21 AM »
Speaking of now being able to buy a house, I starting playing during Beta and sold all of my cards in '98 for $500. I had every blue card from Beta to Alliances (i.e. Time Walk, Time Twister, Ancestral Recall), 2 Moxes, 40 dual lands, a Dark set, most of Arabian Nights (Diamond Mine, Jazum Djinn, Guardian Beast), etc., etc. Got the beta Time Walk in one of my first six booster packs.

It's hard to imagine how much could get for them now and I try not to think about it, but I'm still glad I sold them. I was pretty fanatical and it was destroying my life. As soon as I got rid of that shit I started my first band and haven't looked back.

xelement5x

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 05:34:31 AM »
A friend of mine runs a MTG and CCG/board game shop out here and does quite well.  I tried to learn how to play it back when around 97ish maybe?

However, instead I discovered and became all about ANI-MAYHEM!

I've got a full set of all the cards still which is pretty bitchin.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

hoobs88

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 12:54:02 PM »

Very nice. Whats your deck list. Right now im playing a mono black devotion, but i dont think i will be playing game tournaments with it, just because mutavaults are to hard to come by. I really like that master of cruelties decks ive looked at alot. I might have to look into building one myself

I just PM'ed my decklist to you. Here's a photo of my prize for that tournament...

1st place at the Invitational is $500 and a case of the next set (Born of the Gods). The only way to get a ticket is to win one of the weekly tournaments so it will be steep competition.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns