Author Topic: Magic The Gathering: The trading card game  (Read 3771 times)

DarkKobold

Re: Magic The Gathering: The trading card game
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 01:20:43 PM »
I laughed at my friends who sold their black lotus cards.  I said "man, keep those. "

they were like NO I CAN GET 400$ FOR THEM.

yeah, now you could buy a f*cking house with one.

I sold mine for about that. I had a full P9 back in the day. C'est la vie.

I was *sure* MTG was going to die, that there was no way they could keep it fresh. Man, was I wrong.
Hey, you.

munchiaz

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »
I've been playing Magic since 93. My favorite format is Sealed. I enjoy brewing new decks for Standard too. Especially with underdog cards that noone plays with. I recently won 1st place at an Invitational Qualifier with a Master of Cruelties deck.

Very nice. Whats your deck list. Right now im playing a mono black devotion, but i dont think i will be playing game tournaments with it, just because mutavaults are to hard to come by. I really like that master of cruelties decks ive looked at alot. I might have to look into building one myself

I just PM'ed my decklist to you. Here's a photo of my prize for that tournament...

1st place at the Invitational is $500 and a case of the next set (Born of the Gods). The only way to get a ticket is to win one of the weekly tournaments so it will be steep competition.

Very nice. Best of luck to you man. Make sure you post results after the tournament here. I plan on updating this with results each week. I played in a draft this past Sunday and took 3rd place. Lost to a guy who pulled Elspeth and Spear. I was running a mono black deck. Had no rares, but did have 2 gray merchants. It did fine, even against the Elspeth guy

hoobs88

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 04:34:32 PM »
Very nice. Best of luck to you man. Make sure you post results after the tournament here. I plan on updating this with results each week. I played in a draft this past Sunday and took 3rd place. Lost to a guy who pulled Elspeth and Spear. I was running a mono black deck. Had no rares, but did have 2 gray merchants. It did fine, even against the Elspeth guy

I can post results here (although it is 2 months away). Hopefully, this thread remains active.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

munchiaz

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 04:51:19 PM »
I'll make sure it stays active. i do 2 drafts a week, and will be posting results from that. So worst case scenario, people can read my post

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 03:57:35 AM »
I played in a few tournaments around 1997-99 but nothing too serious.  I've bought hordes of cards and sold most of them over and over again.  Just last year I purchased 3,000 Magic commons for $5 at the Gencon Auction Hall... I just can't quit this stuff.

I started playing around 1994-95 with Ice Age.  Had a complete set of Fallen Empires and Homelands... lol

I graduated to Spellfire, Warlord and MagiNation soon after getting the CCG hook.  I still have all those cards...

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 05:01:07 AM »
I am not competitive enough to go to those things.   I've been told I build really interesting decks that shouldn't work, but do.

People try to get me to go to legacy tournaments.

But, the average legacy player is a socially retarded f*ckpump that needs to be hit with a shovel, so I don't bother.

I went to a local tournament thing once recently with a U/W phasing deck with mostly mirage cards.

The second I put down a card with phasing, they told me to leave.

The decklist is pretty comical.

I use Teferi's Honor Guard, Rainbow Efreet, supreme verdict, washout, (sometimes i swap in Teferi's Moat if the person I am playing is some green ramp deck), then I have a few one offs like Teferi's Drake and Sandbar Crocodile.

and then a dickload of draw and counters.   

I also occasionally sideboard in Confiscate or Desertion.

Desertion is one of the funniest things ever.   

"Oh, I play Akroma"

thats nice, I counter/take Akroma.   I win.

Usually though, I just block/phase out and stall long enough to blow the table up while my stuff is phased out, and then I Just phase back in and wail on you while you try to recover.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 05:04:45 AM by Arkhan »
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

munchiaz

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 09:39:37 AM »
So i went 2-1 last night at one of my local drafts. This draft is a bit different because like 20-30 people show up. so they have 7 people per table when we are actually picking cards, then all the players are mixed,and it is 3 rounds. I ran a W/G deck, main focus was heroic with wingsteed rider and staunch warrior. I had around 13 spells/bestow to target them, and that's how i won all my games.

Only good rare pull was a Xenagos. Its funny because at my table of 7, 2 people pulled Xenagos,and one other person pulled Elspeth

hoobs88

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 02:48:07 PM »
So i went 2-1 last night at one of my local drafts. This draft is a bit different because like 20-30 people show up. so they have 7 people per table when we are actually picking cards, then all the players are mixed,and it is 3 rounds. I ran a W/G deck, main focus was heroic with wingsteed rider and staunch warrior. I had around 13 spells/bestow to target them, and that's how i won all my games.

Only good rare pull was a Xenagos. Its funny because at my table of 7, 2 people pulled Xenagos,and one other person pulled Elspeth

Was that record good enough to win any prize? Still, the Xenagos is a nice pull. I like Staunch Warrior/Centaur Battlemaster in draft since they become so big that noone can handle them unless they have a Sip of Hemlock or Divine Verdict. I'm off to a Commander tournament tomorrow. I'm running Thrun, the Last Troll as my commander since he can't be countered, is hexproof, and regenerates.

munchiaz

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »

Was that record good enough to win any prize? Still, the Xenagos is a nice pull. I like Staunch Warrior/Centaur Battlemaster in draft since they become so big that noone can handle them unless they have a Sip of Hemlock or Divine Verdict. I'm off to a Commander tournament tomorrow. I'm running Thrun, the Last Troll as my commander since he can't be countered, is hexproof, and regenerates.

Since there are so many people i didn't get a prize. They just give out to top 6. So what is commander. i have never played it before?

hoobs88

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 02:33:49 AM »
Commander was originally called EDH (elder dragon highlander) but had to change the name due to copyrights. It was a multiplayer casual format but some stores hold tournaments and occasionally play 1vs 1. You can choose any Legendary creature from Magic:the Gathering to be your commander then add 99 cards to your deck (no duplicates except basic lands) that match your commander's color identity. You start with 40 life instead of 20. Your commander can be played from the command zone as if you had him in your hand and if he dies or gets exiled, you can return him to the command zone and pay 2 extra mana to recast him. You can win the game by the normal ways (reducing oppoent's life to zero, 10 poison counters, forcing them to draw a card when their library is empty) or by dealing 21 points of combat damage with your commander (no matter what their life total is). I chose Thrun since he seems hard to deal with.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2013, 05:57:49 AM »
I use atogatog, because I have problems.

I hate playing EDH at gamestores though.  There are too many dickbags there with however many $$$ legacy cards they can find, so it's not really a game of fun, it's a game of "lol look at all my $$".  They're not interested in seeing the interesting stuff you come up with.  It's all about bragging about the pricetag, at least, around here.

but, it's satisfying to win with an Atogatog deck.

Skyship Weatherlight + Predator Flagship save the day usually. 

It's really funny when you send a mob of atogs across the table and then have them eat your entire board and the have atogatog eat all of them.  "Ok, Atogatog is a 25/25 now.  You lose."

....or they swords to plowshare him and you're basically f*cked at that point.  lol

BUT,  even losing is worth it when you have :

I started making a Teferi EDH deck, too.  I used it once and was told I was never allowed to use it again because it was basically a bunch of counters/draws/recurrable ways to screw the other player up (capsize, mind games, isochron scepter + snap).

hoobs88

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2013, 05:52:45 PM »
I've been wanting to do a 5 color EDH deck. Atogatog sounds fun. All of the mono blue commanders (vendilion clique/venser/teferi) are tough to deal with. I was about the beat my opponent when he "miracled" a Devastation Tide to bounce Thrun back to my hand then played Vendilion Clique to put Thrun on the bottom of my deck.

munchiaz

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »
atogatog brings back memories when i first started playing magic. I got a draft this Sunday. Wish me luck guys

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2013, 11:38:49 PM »
5 color EDH is a disaster.   It hardly ever works, but when it does, people start laughing.

munchiaz

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2013, 02:39:13 AM »
So i only went 1-2 at my draft this Sunday. I still got 1 pack because me and my brother played for 3rd place and we decided to split, and then we just played it out and he beat me. Only good pull was a Nylea God.