Author Topic: Magic The Gathering: The trading card game  (Read 3818 times)

Bardoly

Re: Magic The Gathering: The trading card game
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2014, 11:37:11 AM »
have you guys been keeping up to date on the Journey into Nyx spoilers. There are some pretty crazy cards being released, like the new equipment, and the Ajani Planeswalker

This set looks pretty terrible except for the Mythics.

Depends on what type of decks you run.  I've seen quite a lot more to be excited about than I did in Born of the Gods.  I'm really looking forward to many of these cards.

Who's doing the Journey to Nyx Prerelease?  I'm planing to do a midnight, noon, then 5pm run of three tourneys on Saturday.

hoobs88

« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2014, 04:33:54 PM »
have you guys been keeping up to date on the Journey into Nyx spoilers. There are some pretty crazy cards being released, like the new equipment, and the Ajani Planeswalker

This set looks pretty terrible except for the Mythics.

Depends on what type of decks you run.  I've seen quite a lot more to be excited about than I did in Born of the Gods.  I'm really looking forward to many of these cards.

Who's doing the Journey to Nyx Prerelease?  I'm planing to do a midnight, noon, then 5pm run of three tourneys on Saturday.

I typically do the Saturday and Sunday events at each PreRelease. This set is shaping up to be better than the last set.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

munchiaz

« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2014, 10:08:37 AM »
I will most likely be doing pre release events all day Saturday, and maybe on Sunday. Heres a revision of my mono-black aggro with some of the journey into nyx cards in it

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-black-aggro-01-04-14-1/

hoobs88

« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2014, 11:32:53 AM »

Won 19 packs at the PreRelease over the weekend. Took 1st place in the 2 Headed Giant team event and the Sunday event and 2nd place on the Saturday event.

munchiaz

« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2014, 12:09:27 PM »
Very nice Hobbs. I took 10th place on Saturday's pre release event. There was over 90 players. I won 4 packs from that event. Ended up going 3-1 with a win loss record of 6-2. Went 2-0 first 3 games, lost the 4th game 0-2

On Sunday i got 12th place out of like 60 players. Went 2-1-1. Only lost to the guy that took 3rd. I won 3 packs that day and pulled an Ajani

Bardoly

« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2014, 07:26:09 AM »
I played in 3 'flights'.
1-1-1 in the first one (played red), 1-2-2 in the second (played black), and 4-0-1 in the third for first place (played white)!

My deck list for my first place deck is as follows:

Land (17)

Plains (9)
Forest (7)
Temple of Mystery

White (12)
Banishing Light
Chosen by Heliod
Dauntless Onslaught
Dawnbringer Charioteers
Dawnbringer Charioteers
Eagle of the Watch
Gods Willing
Lagonna-Band Trailblazer
Oreskos Swiftclaw
Oreskos Swiftclaw
Sightless Brawler
Stonewise Fortifier

Green (9)
Colossal Heroics
Desecration Plague
Golden Hind
Golden Hind
Pheres-Band Thunderhoof
Setessan Oathsworn
Snake of the Golden Grove
Voyaging Satyr
Vulpine Goliath

Multi-colored (1)
Ajani, Mentor of Heroes

Artifact (1)
Gorgon's Head

Banishing Light and Desecration Plague overperformed, while Sightlesss Brawler underperformed.  I didn't pull Ajani until my 5th match, and he was great!

I also pulled a Kiora in the 'flight' which I chose black, so I ended up playing a 3-color BuG deck which didn't do great, partially because the deck played rather slowly, and I got paired up against 2 durdly opponents, whom I could have beat if I had just had more time.

munchiaz

« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2014, 07:45:22 AM »
White def had the best promo in this set hands down. I do believe that black has the best common and uncommon cards though.

hoobs88

« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2014, 09:57:42 AM »
White def had the best promo in this set hands down. I do believe that black has the best common and uncommon cards though.

I originally thought White had the best promo but it always seemed underwhelming whenever someone played it against me and I abandoned White altogether when I chose it for my box color in favor of Black/Blue Constellation. I played mono white in the 2 Headed Giant event while my partner played mono blue. We had so much control, it was ridiculous! I always find it funny that the players that pull the big money cards do the worst especially since I always pull the bulk rares :( I did open 4 of my prize packs (keeping the rest for drafting) and managed to pull 2 of the gods (Iroas and Pharika).

munchiaz

« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2014, 10:10:42 AM »

I originally thought White had the best promo but it always seemed underwhelming whenever someone played it against me and I abandoned White altogether when I chose it for my box color in favor of Black/Blue Constellation. I played mono white in the 2 Headed Giant event while my partner played mono blue. We had so much control, it was ridiculous! I always find it funny that the players that pull the big money cards do the worst especially since I always pull the bulk rares :( I did open 4 of my prize packs (keeping the rest for drafting) and managed to pull 2 of the gods (Iroas and Pharika).

I think a lot of people who pull the money cards do bad because they try to build a deck around the card, even if the color isn't there. Just because you have one strong card doesn't mean you should build around it if you don't have the cards to do so

Bardoly

« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2014, 03:57:41 AM »

I think a lot of people who pull the money cards do bad because they try to build a deck around the card, even if the color isn't there. Just because you have one strong card doesn't mean you should build around it if you don't have the cards to do so

True, true.  That may be what happened with my black deck that splashed blue and green mostly for Kiora.

I will say that one of the funnest deck that I have ever drafted was the one that I drafted on last Friday night before the midnight prerelease - 5-color Chromanticore!  Since the packs were Born/Theros/Theros, when I cracked the first pack and saw Chromanticore staring back at me from the rare slot, I just knew that I had to try and force the deck.  Drafting was a bit different, because I was all about picking bombs, mana fixing, and fog effects (since removal was very scarce and to hold my opponents off until I could drop a bomb).  I don't remember the exact order of my picks, but I do remember some as follows:
P1P1 - Chromanticore
P1P2 - Silent Sentinel
P1P3 - Astral Cornucopia
P2P1 - Medomai the Ageless
P3P1 - Prophet of Kruphix

The Deck (43 cards total)*

White ( 3 )
Akroan Phalanx
Glimpse the Sun God
Silent Sentinel

Blue ( 8 )
Aerie Worshipers
Annul
Coastline Chimera
Griptide
Sudden Storm
Thassa's Emissary
Voyage's End
Wavecrash Triton

Green ( 5 )
Karametra's Favor
Nessian Courser
Nylea's Presence
Ordeal of Nylea
Voyaging Satyr

Multicolored ( 5 )
Chromanticore
Daxos of Meletis
Ephara's Enlightenment
Medomai the Ageless
Phrophet of Kruphix

Artifact ( 3 )
Astral Cornucopia
Burnished Hart
Pillar of War

Land ( 19 )
5 x Forest
6 - Island
1 x Mountain
5 x Plains
1 x Swamp
1 x Unknown Shores

Sideboard ( 19 )
Blue
Benthic Giant
Breaching Hippocamp
Fate Foretold
Sealock Monster
Sealock Monster
Swan Song
Thassa's Bounty
Thassa's Bounty

Black
Baleful Eidolon
Bile Blight
Marshmist Titan
Necrobite
Nighthowler
Returned Phalanx

Red
Akroan Conscriptor
Wild Celebrants
Multicolored
Akroan Hoplite
Battlewise Hoplite

*This deck ended up being 43 cards total.  If I had had more deck-building time, I probably could have cut this down to 40, but time was very tight.  What would y'all have cut and/or built differently?

hoobs88

« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2014, 06:35:40 AM »
Chromanticore seems like it would work well in a deck with Prophet of Kruphix. I had some spectators laughing about my board state at last week's FNM when I had Prophet of Kruphix, Mercurial Chemister, Aetherling, Zhur-Taa Druid, and Ral Zarek on the battlefield. I had just gotten 3 extra turns from Ral Zarek, drawn 4 extra cards with Mercurial Chemister, and attacked with an unblockable Aetherling while my opponent had 1 card in hand and no permanents on the battlefield except for lands...and he didn't scoop!

munchiaz

« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2014, 02:38:05 PM »
Chromanticore seems like it would work well in a deck with Prophet of Kruphix. I had some spectators laughing about my board state at last week's FNM when I had Prophet of Kruphix, Mercurial Chemister, Aetherling, Zhur-Taa Druid, and Ral Zarek on the battlefield. I had just gotten 3 extra turns from Ral Zarek, drawn 4 extra cards with Mercurial Chemister, and attacked with an unblockable Aetherling while my opponent had 1 card in hand and no permanents on the battlefield except for lands...and he didn't scoop!

Yeah.... i would have extended the hand in defeat. Tomorrow my local shop is doing a Theros cycle draft (journey,born Theros) for the release of Journey into Nyx. I may buy a box tomorrow. or i may just buy a fat pack, not to sure yet. I want to buy the new kirby game, so i may just go with the fat pack

munchiaz

« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2014, 05:00:17 PM »
Heres a new deck idea im working on. Its Black/white aggro/midrange. Let me know what you guys think

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/blackwhite-mid-range/

Bardoly

« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2014, 05:26:57 PM »
Heres a new deck idea im working on. Its Black/white aggro/midrange. Let me know what you guys think

Interesting deck...  I don't know your local metagame, but here are my thoughts.

1.  Precinct Captain's double-white mana cost seems rough with only 11 non-come-into-play-tapped white sources.  Maybe there is a better creature for his slot?

2.  Because of its Legendary status, your 2 Spear of Heliod might be better served as a 1-of with 1 Hall of Triumph.

3.  You call your deck Black/White mid-range, but it looks like you're trying to be aggro, which leads to point 4.

4.  There's so much good mono-black aggro, why not splash just enough white for Athreos?  I mean, with 4 Gnarled Scarhide, 4 Rakdos Cackler, 2-4 Thoughtseize, & 4 Tormented Hero for your 1-drops; 0-4 Pack Rat, 3-4 Pain Seer & 3-4 Spiteful Returned for your 2-drops; and 4 Herald of Torment & 2-4 Master of the Feast for your 3-drops, you don't even need to run any 4-drops, so you could just run 17-18 Swamps with 4 Mutavaults for mono-black, or swap out 6-8 Swamps for Black/White mana sources to support 2 copies of Athreos.

munchiaz

« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2014, 05:45:45 PM »

Interesting deck...  I don't know your local metagame, but here are my thoughts.

1.  Precinct Captain's double-white mana cost seems rough with only 11 non-come-into-play-tapped white sources.  Maybe there is a better creature for his slot?

2.  Because of its Legendary status, your 2 Spear of Heliod might be better served as a 1-of with 1 Hall of Triumph.

3.  You call your deck Black/White mid-range, but it looks like you're trying to be aggro, which leads to point 4.

4.  There's so much good mono-black aggro, why not splash just enough white for Athreos?  I mean, with 4 Gnarled Scarhide, 4 Rakdos Cackler, 2-4 Thoughtseize, & 4 Tormented Hero for your 1-drops; 0-4 Pack Rat, 3-4 Pain Seer & 3-4 Spiteful Returned for your 2-drops; and 4 Herald of Torment & 2-4 Master of the Feast for your 3-drops, you don't even need to run any 4-drops, so you could just run 17-18 Swamps with 4 Mutavaults for mono-black, or swap out 6-8 Swamps for Black/White mana sources to support 2 copies of Athreos.

Makes a lot of since to go with the mono black aggro with the splash white for Athreos. Something i def want to playtest