Author Topic: Opinions of Vasteel?  (Read 1258 times)

Keranu

Opinions of Vasteel?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2006, 07:33:49 PM »
Dude, those songs nod recommended were all awesome (plus the ice track I listened to afterwards)! It wasn't nearly jazzy as I thought, even though the songs will have that really jazzy part in them, but it sounds excellent! I can see the space-age jazz in it a bit, but it was totally different than I expected. Worst game soundtrack? No way, not by a long shot!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

motdelbuort

Opinions of Vasteel?
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2006, 09:01:31 AM »
I just started playing Vasteel again. I'm playinga as Falail and I'm on the 4th or 5th map. For me it's the second space map. The graphics do get noticeably better in the space levels for some reason. Too bad they didn't make them a bit more complicated on the planets. I still hold that this combo strategy/arcade battle is a great formula. If it was a straight up strategy game like Military Madness I would probably not do as well. I like being able to get good at holding cities and things with weak mechs, and then pummeling the enemy with a bunch of heavies.

FM-77

Opinions of Vasteel?
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2006, 09:43:52 AM »
Oh man ... I gotta agree with GUTS. Worst soundtrack ever.   :lol:   Typical generic PC Engine CD elevator music*.    :?  

* Now that's a new genre for you. Also found in The Dynastic Hero. :wink:

Sorry...  :P

Keranu

Opinions of Vasteel?
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2006, 12:18:26 PM »
Quote from: "Seldane"
Oh man ... I gotta agree with GUTS. Worst soundtrack ever.   :lol:   Typical generic PC Engine CD elevator music*.    :?

So that makes Lords of Thunder generic elevator music? :lol:
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

Opinions of Vasteel?
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2006, 02:44:42 PM »

* Now that's a new genre for you. Also found in The Dynastic Hero. :wink:

Sorry...  :P
Well, most video game soundtracks *are* MUZAK (from SegaCD, TGCD, SNES and up)... but I'd never single out the PCE-CD library and say it was a major purveyor of muzak (moreso than other consoles).

The reason I love old-skool chiptunes is that they (often) weren't sophisticated enough to sound like muzak -- even if they tried! SNES is the exception here, since it had fantastic sound capabilities and really offered polished soundtracks.

Vasteel simply doesn't offer you your preferred flavor of muzak, that is all ... :)
  |    | 

FM-77

Opinions of Vasteel?
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2006, 12:52:25 AM »
Well I meant that the PCE usually rely on "high" quality sound instead of high quality music. Usually it is just regular NES style muzak played on a low-quality synth. Better sound quality than chip music, but still terrible music.

I'm not saying EVERY PCE title does this, but many of them do. Same goes for other early CD-systems.

Keranu

Opinions of Vasteel?
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2006, 09:29:37 AM »
Are you kidding? Many PCE CD games have awesome soundtracks, to me one of the biggest trademarks of the PCE entirety is it's awesome music; it was one of the first things that attracted me to the system! :D

esteban

Opinions of Vasteel?
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2006, 07:47:14 PM »
Well I meant that the PCE usually rely on "high" quality sound instead of high quality music. Usually it is just regular NES style muzak played on a low-quality synth. Better sound quality than chip music, but still terrible music.

I'm not saying EVERY PCE title does this, but many of them do. Same goes for other early CD-systems.
The golden age of video game music is Famicom / NES, IMO. An absolutely unbelievable breadth and variety of music pumped out of that venerable console -- defying the technical specs and everyone's expectations.

GOLDEN AGE, I tell you! It will never be matched again, in the history of video game music.

Anyway, to get back to the issue at hand: I like a lot of the muzak that you think is terrible, I think. First, I accepted that VGM was muzak. This allowed me to appreciate it for what it is, instead of comparing it to the "real" music that I love. Perhaps I'm a music snob, but it was important that I made this distinction.

I'm sure others have made a similar dichotomy -- if only because we're all trying (subconsciously) *not* to be flaming nerds :).
  |    | 

Keranu

Opinions of Vasteel?
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2006, 07:49:27 PM »
Quote from: "stevek666"
The golden age of video game music is Famicom / NES, IMO. An absolutely unbelievable breadth and variety of music pumped out of that venerable console -- defying the technical specs and everyone's expectations.

I think I can agree with that :) . NES is pretty much the golden age of video gaming itself.

akamichi

Opinions of Vasteel?
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2006, 09:26:01 PM »
Quote from: "stevek666"
Anyway, to get back to the issue at hand: I like a lot of the muzak that you think is terrible, I think. First, I accepted that VGM was muzak. This allowed me to appreciate it for what it is, instead of comparing it to the "real" music that I love. Perhaps I'm a music snob, but it was important that I made this distinction.

What makes video game music different from "real" music?

Keranu

Opinions of Vasteel?
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2006, 09:41:10 PM »
Vocals are usually never in video game music (then again, some genres of music lack vocals all together). Video game music is also designed so it can repeat better.  8)

FM-77

Opinions of Vasteel?
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2006, 12:31:18 AM »
When I said NES style, I meant early stuff like Donkey Kong and Ice Climber (I.E. EXTREMELY lame). Guess I should have mentioned that earlier.

Other than that, NES music can be very nice.

akamichi

Opinions of Vasteel?
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2006, 05:13:55 AM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
Vocals are usually never in video game music (then again, some genres of music lack vocals all together). Video game music is also designed so it can repeat better.  8)

Really?  So real music isn't really designed to repeat?  I mean, there's a verse, then a chorus, then verse, then chorus... then... etc etc. :)

I get what you're saying.  However, with all the talk about NES music and old school console tunes, the focus seems to be that VGM = chiptunes from the 80s and "real" music (whatever that is) isn't VGM.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this.  I just don't think there's a distinction between VGM and any other form of music which would make VGM any less than the others.

Whatever, ramble over. I'm going to sleep. :?

nodtveidt

Opinions of Vasteel?
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2006, 05:20:38 AM »
There's a great distinction between lyrical music and the music used in video games. Lyrical music is designed to be foreground music...in other words, the music is intended to be heard for what it is. Video game music is intended to be background music...intended to either elicit or to intensify a particular emotion or train-of-thought attached to another form of stimulation (usually graphics or storyline). Furthermore, the repeating aspect is true...lyrical music, while it does often follow its own self-repeating style, it not specifically designed to repeat itself when the music ends. Video game music IS designed (or should be designed) to repeat itself when it ends or, in the case of non-redbook tracks, just repeat itself period.

You don't even have to be a first year Juliard student to understand these very basic concepts of music theory. :D

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot...there is a game out there which outright breaks the unspoken rule that in-game music must never have lyrics...it's called Waku Waku 7 for the Neo Geo. Listen to the music played in Arina's stage...it clearly has lyrics in it.

FM-77

Opinions of Vasteel?
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2006, 07:29:46 AM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
Oh, I almost forgot...there is a game out there which outright breaks the unspoken rule that in-game music must never have lyrics...it's called Waku Waku 7 for the Neo Geo. Listen to the music played in Arina's stage...it clearly has lyrics in it.

Or Katamari Damacy. All of the songs have vocals in them. Horrid vocals, but vocals none the less.

And Tales of Legendia. Vocals on the overworld! That is the most idiotic idea I've ever seen (or heard) in a video game. It gets SO annoying.