Author Topic: Dungeon Explorer Help...  (Read 368 times)

NeoFreak

Dungeon Explorer Help...
« on: May 01, 2006, 06:50:32 AM »
how do you defeat the Tiger boss in the Water Dungeon ? He just rushes me and my 5 lives are gone before I know it. [Playing single player] Thanks. BTW, this game rules. There is so much personality in these little character sprites, and they animate quite well. I think its hilarous that the thief is a total fat ass.

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

Keranu

Dungeon Explorer Help...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 10:34:43 AM »
I know I have beat him, I just can't remember at all what he was like and how to beat him. And yes, the fat ass thief is great :D .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Digi.k

Dungeon Explorer Help...
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 11:38:51 AM »
I'm sure you just had to keep at the old shoot and run tactics... its had and you might need to continue but you can do it.  Might be nice to work on VIT too.

PC Gaijin

Dungeon Explorer Help...
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 01:07:14 PM »
Been literally more than a decade since I played DE, but if I remember right: upgrade your speed. You need to be able to run as fast as the tiger does when he charges you. Run while he's charging and after awhile he'll slow down some. Turn around and shoot him a few times, then start running again. Rinse, repeat until tiger is dead.

The strategy Digi.k mentioned also works if I remember right. Boost up your VIT and you can outlast the tiger. Or boost your attack power and blow him away. Not dying and hanging on to all those upgrades throughout the game is the key. Sucks to die late in the game and walk slow as shit again.

DE is awesome, I want to hear more on the 360 game (I'm guessing it will be an Arcade title?) I love the music that plays in that tower where the boss starts out as a beautiful woman then turns into a corpse as you kill her.

NeoFreak

Dungeon Explorer Help...
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 03:00:07 PM »
Thanks for the tips; I was just able to defeat him. I'm in the tower now with that girl that you mentioned. Thanks again.

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

PC Gaijin

Dungeon Explorer Help...
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 06:24:29 PM »
BTW, which character are you using? The thief? I always had the easiest time with the fighter in solo play. After posting earlier I booted up DE (wow, memories, this was the second Turbografx-16 game I ever bought, got it for my 15th birthday :D). It was tougher than I remembered. I died twice before reaching the Water Tower, so I didn't have the speed upgrades. However, I was able to just blast away while the tiger was charging and kill him while dying once. I was playing the fighter and used his black magic on my first life.

I didn't remember that the tower with the corpse boss was right after the Water Tower, sorry if I spoiled that for you. Love the music in that tower though. The soundtrack for DE is terrific.

NeoFreak

Dungeon Explorer Help...
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 01:48:49 AM »
haha, no its ok. I'm playing as the warlock actually, but I probably should be playing the warrior since I'm soloing. However, I enjoy the challenge this way. I'm going to try and go through the tower tonight.

BTW, how long of a game is DE? how about DE2?

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

PC Gaijin

Dungeon Explorer Help...
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 04:21:34 AM »
Both pretty long. I think DE has at least 13 or 14 bosses? So the tower you're at is about 1/3 of the way through the game maybe.

hizaygizirlz

Dungeon Explorer Help...
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 07:42:29 AM »
Neo Freak,

Bump this thread when you are a little further or when you have passed the game i am also playing DE right now i'm about 9-11 bosses into it i know i'm near the end b/c i beat it when i was younger.  My friend and i are playing right now and we dont' know where the next dungeon is we look forever and can't seem to find it.  The king doesn't tell u north/south etc.  I don't know the exact message he says but i will get it and bump the thread when i go home tonight.
Thanks
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

NeoFreak

Dungeon Explorer Help...
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 01:53:38 AM »
hizaygizirlz; just updating you. I finished cherry tower, and now im heading east...there is this long gauntlet that you have to run with shit loads of spawning spiders, dwarves, and mountain men. I didnt have much time to play last night, its not that tough, but i'm being impatient and trying to rush through to the dungeon entrance. I'm going to take it slow next time...also, I didnt realize that dude opens the gate next to his house, so to get to that east area i was going ...through the rock maze, into water dungeon, all the way through that, through the second rock maze, and THEN to the gauntlet area in the east forest. [when in fact all i had to do was go west from the castle and then up one screen.]

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

hizaygizirlz

Dungeon Explorer Help...
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 05:12:34 AM »
Yeah when they start opening those gates it saves alot of time i believe i'm still two or three dungeons ahead of you when i get home tonight i will post the exact messsage i get from the king that way you can remember the path u take when u get there.  Its not gonna have to many spoils as the king usually just says "head east to blank" or "go through blank to get to blank" so when i go home ill post the message as you should be hitting the part soon.
Thanks
MP
Gypsies did it.

Keranu

Dungeon Explorer Help...
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 09:31:09 AM »
I still haven't beat this game. Last summer I became addicted to it and played to the last boss, but I could never beat him! I think I still have my password written down somewhere, I'll try again if I find it. I tried playing this game with five players and oh man it gets tough :) ! Lots of team work required.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

PC Gaijin

Dungeon Explorer Help...
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 12:49:58 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
I still haven't beat this game. Last summer I became addicted to it and played to the last boss, but I could never beat him! I think I still have my password written down somewhere, I'll try again if I find it. I tried playing this game with five players and oh man it gets tough :) ! Lots of team work required.

Does the difficulty scale with the number of players? More or harder enemies or something? I've never played DE in multiplayer just solo. I would think the game would be easier with five players since you'd get to take advantage of everyone's magic, but if the difficulty scales...

I'm probably going to finish replaying DE sometime in the next few days too since this discussion rekindled my interest in the game. :D I stopped the other night right after Cherry Tower. It's hard in solo play with a total melee character like the fighter because there's no way to heal except finding a potion or halo drop.

Anyone remember the secret "ending" you get if you go sit on the throne? :lol: Whoever localized the game had a sense of humor unless that was in the original Japanese release too.

bt

Dungeon Explorer Help...
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 01:40:58 PM »
Quote from: "PC Gaijin"
Does the difficulty scale with the number of players? More or harder enemies or something? I've never played DE in multiplayer just solo. I would think the game would be easier with five players since you'd get to take advantage of everyone's magic, but if the difficulty scales...

No, the game is not any harder -- but keep in mind that all the continues have to be shared between the players, so it really boils down to one of those double ship versus 2 single ships (Galaga) sort of strategy questions.

Of course, if you tell your buddy he cannot play because he sucks, there may be bigger issues to deal with.

-bt

hizaygizirlz

Dungeon Explorer Help...
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 03:12:49 PM »
Of course, if you tell your buddy he cannot play because he sucks, there may be bigger issues to deal with.

Funny

No, the game is not any harder -- but keep in mind that all the continues have to be shared between the players, so it really boils down to one of those double ship versus 2 single ships (Galaga) sort of strategy questions.

Funnier, I love galaga gambled against my buddy during work w/ it for a week
Gypsies did it.