Author Topic: Warning Do Not Store Your Looseies In One Of These !!!  (Read 1178 times)

Nec.Game.head

Warning Do Not Store Your Looseies In One Of These !!!
« on: March 13, 2014, 06:09:02 AM »
Hey everyone so I'm sharing this little information for anyone that is looking to store their loose HU Cards or have them in a convenient storage space. I recently discovered that using credit card holders to store your HU Cards can cause permanent damage to them. I've been using this form myself to store some of my games and recently discovered a clear sticky film on them from the plastic on the holders. At first I noticed they were kinda sticking in the little separate compartments of the holder but didn't think much of it. I just the other day took out a few cards to play on my TG16 and to my surprise I noticed they were in bad shape! I tried several forms of cleaning off the residue with methods of safe cleaning which I have performed for many years now and I had nothing but upsetting results. I'm not too sure but it almost seems as if their is a chemical reaction happening with the clear coat on the HU Cards and the plastic from the holders. When trying to rub off the residue it takes everything including the print on the Hueys right off. I now have about 15 non rare easily replaceable Hu Cards that are permanently ruined. A fair warning to anyone considering this form of storing their precious Hu Card games !!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:24:31 AM by Nec.Game.head »
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

RoyVegas

Re: Warning Do Not Store Your Looseies In One Of These !!!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 06:13:32 AM »
Wow, that really sucks.  Sorry to hear about that.  I used to keep mine in one similar to yours. Luckily it was only for a short period before I switched to putting them in those baseball card sheets that hold 9 per page.  Glad I did. Yikes
All is well. :)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 06:17:05 AM »
You have to make sure the plastic used to store HuCards is safe for plastics. 

Even 9 page baseball card sheets are not safe, if you buy shitty ones.

Your best bet is to get some from Fantasy Flight or Ultra Pro or something.   Anyone who's all about protecting gaming bits.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

schweaty

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 06:18:24 AM »
Wow, that really sucks.  Sorry to hear about that.  I used to keep mine in one similar to yours. Luckily it was only for a short period before I switched to putting them in those baseball card sheets that hold 9 per page.  Glad I did. Yikes

IIRC baseball card holders are the same type of plastic as what is in the pics. 

if you are committed to using plastic pages to store your hueys, i would recommend they always be kept climate controlled.  when those plastic sheets get hot all sorts of reactions start to happen to what is inside them.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:21:20 AM by schweaty »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 06:25:47 AM »
if you are committed to using plastic pages to store your hueys, i would recommend they always be kept climate controlled.  when those plastic sheets get hot all sorts of reactions start to happen to what is inside them.

The ones designed for Magic cards/Etc don't have this issue.   They're made specifically to protect 5000$ cards stored in basements/attics/cars/etc. 

I've seen those sheets sitting in trunks for weeks at a time in humid 90+ degree weather and they're fine.

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 06:40:45 AM »
So that everyone is aware it dose not happen right away. They need to sit in those sleeves for sometime before it starts to happen. I didn't play my games for over a month and that's when it caught me slipping !! It's not worth it to even store them in these temporarily. It truly bums me out but one victim is better then several being screwed over by this ...
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 06:48:07 AM »
Yeah dude, really though, even the official rubbery sleeves have gone retarded and get sticky/melty and goo up the cards.   

RoyVegas

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 07:01:06 AM »
I keep my everdrive in a ESD bag; no such problems yet! ^_^

Shouldn't it be kept in your Turbo?  [-(

Black Tiger

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 07:02:19 AM »
This really sucks, but thanks for help the rest of us avoid a similar situation.

I've kept mine in UltraPro pages for years without any issues.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

syphic

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 07:11:14 AM »
I use the same one and haven't had any issues but definitely taking em out when I get home!
Awesome trades and deals with:
Fiftyquid, thesteve, keithcourage, mothergunner, Bernie, turboswimbz, Bardoly, BlueBMW, Galam, Nullity, Jtucci31, sirhcman,  Elderboroom, dicer

RoyVegas

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 07:11:24 AM »
I keep my everdrive in a ESD bag; no such problems yet! ^_^

Shouldn't it be kept in your Turbo?  [-(

Not when Sapphire is GotW! (:

Forgiven. lol

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 07:14:53 AM »
I didn't play my games for over a month and that's when it caught me slipping !!

Hmm, perhaps it's not the plastic sleeve's fault; your games were getting lonely, depressed, suicidal.  :shock:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

hoobs88

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 07:51:14 AM »
This really sucks, but thanks for help the rest of us avoid a similar situation.

I've kept mine in UltraPro pages for years without any issues.

Same here.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

johnnykonami

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 08:05:29 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about you hu-cards.  That really sucks.  Even though common, that's 15 less games in good condition, especially if you buy replacements for all of them.  I was planning on buying some of SeyMorOnion's replacement sleeves, and I know they were made with care and good intentions for sure.  But I can't help wonder if over time a similar issue might occur.  Did anyone buy some of those?

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 08:09:39 AM »
When I got one of those cheap sealed Blazing Lazers from ebay last year, the card and its sleeve were pretty sticky.

Getting rid of the messy sleeve and cleaning the Hu-Card with alcohol did the trick. I also found a local source for decent quality credit card sleeves that are doing their job fine enough.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no