Author Topic: Diggers begin quest to unearth Atari's E.T. games and...succeed... UPDATED!  (Read 1577 times)

Phase

Re: Diggers begin quest to unearth Atari's E.T. games...
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 06:30:11 PM »
Yeah someone better try those mummy carts out, they look in good condition in that pic.

MrBroadway

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 07:23:53 PM »
I'm just curious as to how they're going to make an entire documentary out of this.
It'll probably be mostly about how "Atari ruined the video game industry" and how "ET directly led to a crash" sort of thing that's usually bandied about, culminating in the final big dig to see if what we've known for a while now is true.

Tatsujin

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2014, 11:14:59 PM »
I'm just curious as to how they're going to make an entire documentary out of this.
It'll probably be mostly about how "Atari ruined the video game industry" and how "ET directly led to a crash" sort of thing that's usually bandied about, culminating in the final big dig to see if what we've known for a while now is true.

plus the whole planning of this operation until accomplished etc. which can be, if made well, quite exiting stuff. sure must be mixed together with some (made up-)drama etc.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2014, 11:36:06 PM »
In 2020 there'll be a remake done by Michael Bay.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Otaking

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 02:23:10 AM »
I wonder if this will have a positive or negative effect on the upcoming AVGN movie.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 02:50:01 AM »
I was thinking the same thing.  The movie is almost finished, and AVGN fans will buy it or go see it no matter what.  If anything it will probably promote the movie and help sales.  Google is smart, but not that smart so it'll pull up ET landfill and the AVGN movie tie in.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

InfraMan

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 03:38:46 AM »

plus the whole planning of this operation until accomplished etc. which can be, if made well, quite exiting stuff. sure must be mixed together with some (made up-)drama etc.

That makes sense. I guess if they can make a riveting documentary about two guys competing for a high score on Donkey Kong, the scapegoating of E.T. could be stretched into a good 90 minutes of entertainment.

Black Tiger

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 04:18:31 AM »

Just do a documentary about the rise and fall of the early video game market, then fill up time hyping the crap out of the urban legend, then drag out the detective work leading to the spot and excavation.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Punch

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 04:26:07 AM »
I'm not sure why this is a "legend". They had to destroy their huge overstock, and they can't magically make them disappear.

NightWolve

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 04:39:32 AM »
I wonder if this will have a positive or negative effect on the upcoming AVGN movie.

Ah, interesting, he even worked-in the actual E.T. programmer into the movie.  I wonder though if he'll try to update his plot now that some games have been unearthed... Looks like he's in post-production with it, could be too late and it seems like he might've went with the notion that the big grave was all bullshit (well, I assume that from listening to the programmer)...

Tatsujin

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 05:58:57 AM »
I'm not sure why this is a "legend". They had to destroy their huge overstock, and they can't magically make them disappear.

they could have burned them. in an incineration plant ^^
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

TheClash603

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 07:23:08 AM »

Ah, interesting, he even worked-in the actual E.T. programmer into the movie.  I wonder though if he'll try to update his plot now that some games have been unearthed... Looks like he's in post-production with it, could be too late and it seems like he might've went with the notion that the big grave was all bullshit (well, I assume that from listening to the programmer)...

I heard he was making a movie a few years ago and I figured it was just talk.  Now I watched that video and I will say at the very least, the guy is ambitious.  I might give it a watch and hope it is "Troma good," just to support a fan of video games and independent movies.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 12:01:01 PM »
Oh wow! Check the updated headlines! They've found pallets of TTI games (including magical chaise!!) that had been dumped from the regional distribution center. I sure feel sorry for all the suckers who paid thousands for these late release rarities, but it seems to be a kind of poetic justice that after all these years the platform's most sought after titles will again be available now that it has finally gotten the respect that it deserves (in the NA market that is).

lol

HailingTheThings

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2014, 12:35:48 PM »
Oh wow! Check the updated headlines! They've found pallets of TTI games (including magical chaise!!) that had been dumped from the regional distribution center. I sure feel sorry for all the suckers who paid thousands for these late release rarities, but it seems to be a kind of poetic justice that after all these years the platform's most sought after titles will again be available now that it has finally gotten the respect that it deserves (in the NA market that is).

lol

yah... nobody took the bait. Made me sad.

Might be because of the whole steam roller "legend" with MC err something.

MrBroadway

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 03:24:15 PM »

lol

yah... nobody took the bait. Made me sad.
I chuckled, but didn't think chuckling was worth a whole post.