Author Topic: Your most amazing score.  (Read 1599 times)

toktogul

Re: Your most amazing score.
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 12:45:48 PM »
Mine was last week. I have a pc engine duo in canada that is having trouble reading the music on super cd, so while i'm in Japan, I decided to ask my local shop if they have a pc engine duo for sale. They do not, but they offer to call another place. i go to the gym meanwhile. When i come back, he informs me that they do not have a pc engine duo, but they have a pc engine duo R if I want. I know that these usually command huge about of money for no real difference, so I was about to pass. Just for the laugh i ask how much they ask for it. He looks at his screen and i can see in his eyes that he is surprised by the high price. He said shyly ; " It's  ichi man (100$)".

My heart jumped. I ask calmly if its a complete set. He says that yes it comes with all cables and controllers. I proceed to ask him to call again the other store and order it for me. Meanwhile i walk around the shop and check for more pc engine games. He comes to me again with the phone and he looks sorry. I knew it was too good to be true. He says "I'm sorry, i made a mistake, it isnt complete. It doesnt include the box, but the manual is included" I tell him i dont mind, we finish the order, i sign a paper and go back home. 2 days later, i was the proud owner of a non yellowed pc engine duo R. that thing is soo beautiful!

that was my best score, that and finding castlevania rondo of blood for 55$ in the wild, which is what started my passion for the pc engine.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 01:42:10 PM »
cool stuff happened

Nice haul and Mallrats was the first Kevin Smith flick I watched BITD with a bunch of friends. Good times.

Desh

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »
Mine was last week. I have a pc engine duo in canada that is having trouble reading the music on super cd, so while i'm in Japan, I decided to ask my local shop if they have a pc engine duo for sale. They do not, but they offer to call another place. i go to the gym meanwhile. When i come back, he informs me that they do not have a pc engine duo, but they have a pc engine duo R if I want. I know that these usually command huge about of money for no real difference, so I was about to pass. Just for the laugh i ask how much they ask for it. He looks at his screen and i can see in his eyes that he is surprised by the high price. He said shyly ; " It's  ichi man (100$)".

My heart jumped. I ask calmly if its a complete set. He says that yes it comes with all cables and controllers. I proceed to ask him to call again the other store and order it for me. Meanwhile i walk around the shop and check for more pc engine games. He comes to me again with the phone and he looks sorry. I knew it was too good to be true. He says "I'm sorry, i made a mistake, it isnt complete. It doesnt include the box, but the manual is included" I tell him i dont mind, we finish the order, i sign a paper and go back home. 2 days later, i was the proud owner of a non yellowed pc engine duo R. that thing is soo beautiful!

that was my best score, that and finding castlevania rondo of blood for 55$ in the wild, which is what started my passion for the pc engine.

That's awesome!  I just paid $20 more from that with a non-working disc portion.  I'm still waiting for it in the mail so I'll be stoked if it's an easy fix.

I am super jelly of Rondo.  I don't have a (real) copy of it yet and am only willing to spend up to $100.00 CIC.  I'm sure patience will pay off eventually.

synbiosfan

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 02:33:42 PM »
I don't think I've ever had a amazing score but I did pick up a mintish Vectrex with 9 loose carts for $129 at a local resale shop.

toktogul

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2014, 02:44:41 PM »

That's awesome!  I just paid $20 more from that with a non-working disc portion.  I'm still waiting for it in the mail so I'll be stoked if it's an easy fix.

I am super jelly of Rondo.  I don't have a (real) copy of it yet and am only willing to spend up to $100.00 CIC.  I'm sure patience will pay off eventually.

Right now rondo of blood is 100$ cib on amazon japan, but if you can wait, im sure i csn find a better price on yahoo auction. I bought one for my friend for 65$ shipped the other day. its not as rare as peopoe want you to believe, but its worth every single bucks for it. its a very good game

Desh

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 04:15:48 PM »

Right now rondo of blood is 100$ cib on amazon japan, but if you can wait, im sure i csn find a better price on yahoo auction. I bought one for my friend for 65$ shipped the other day. its not as rare as peopoe want you to believe, but its worth every single bucks for it. its a very good game

I know it's not rare by any means just in high demand because it kicks so much ass.  I've played through it many times on my CD-R copy but that's not going to stop me from getting the real thing.  Seems like internet minimum these days is like $140.00.

schnuth

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2014, 04:25:04 PM »
I know there are quite a few members here that live in TurboGrafx saturated areas but here in NW Ohio it's amazing if you even see a loose Keith Courage at a game store or resale shop once a year.

Hey another Toledoan! I can only remember a couple times I found Turbo stuff in the wild around here.

In 1997 when I was going to school in Bowling Green I scored a TG-16 with a Turbobooster and around 25 games for $50 at Goodwill. That got the ball rolling. :)

My best ever find was in June of 2007 at the Goodwill on Reynolds Rd. Hidden in the CDs were about a dozen games including Dungeon Explorer II and Neutopia II for $3 a pop. No system, so I always suspected whoever bought it missed the games. Always check the CD bins!  I don't think I'll ever do that good at a thrift again. :)

Back in the late 90s Allied Records was a goldmine for games before collecting and eBay went mainstream. I truly miss those days, but Turbo stuff has always been hard to find around here. I only knew one person who had one while they were still current.

Good luck!

HailingTheThings

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 07:51:42 PM »
Seems like internet minimum these days is like $140.00.

I paid about $75 for mine a year ago on amazon. I just looked around and that $140 price tag seems to almost be a thing.

$109 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dracula-X-Pc-Engine-/251565761933?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3a927ce58d

MrFulci

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 11:03:06 PM »
I know there are quite a few members here that live in TurboGrafx saturated areas but here in NW Ohio it's amazing if you even see a loose Keith Courage at a game store or resale shop once a year.

Hey another Toledoan! I can only remember a couple times I found Turbo stuff in the wild around here.

In 1997 when I was going to school in Bowling Green I scored a TG-16 with a Turbobooster and around 25 games for $50 at Goodwill. That got the ball rolling. :)

My best ever find was in June of 2007 at the Goodwill on Reynolds Rd. Hidden in the CDs were about a dozen games including Dungeon Explorer II and Neutopia II for $3 a pop. No system, so I always suspected whoever bought it missed the games. Always check the CD bins!  I don't think I'll ever do that good at a thrift again. :)

Back in the late 90s Allied Records was a goldmine for games before collecting and eBay went mainstream. I truly miss those days, but Turbo stuff has always been hard to find around here. I only knew one person who had one while they were still current.

Good luck!

Yeah, in thrift stores, the areas where CDs are kept sometimes have TG-16 stuff.

I found Keith Courage and Neutopia n a thrift store's CD area once, Priced about $2 or $3 each. This was in 2000 or so. I haven't been to thrift store's much since the early 2000's, since now most of the goodwill stuff is checked out for ebay first, and there are also more people who go to the thrift store's looking for either this type of stuff for their self, or to resell.

There were times, I could find awesome stuff in goodwill, but that ended in the late 90's, early 00's. I remember finding a huge amount of MAD Magazine paperback books. 50 or so. I bought all of those. I also recall a large shelf/bin that had easily 100+ Atari 2600 games, I bought lots of those. I guess someone's collection in their parent's basement was dumped at goodwill.

Every so often I go to look in a thrift store, but it's only at certain ones where I don't think they scan everything for ebay first before putting it out there for sale. Even then it's only twice a year or so I visit a thrift store.

Now, thrift stores are becoming more mainstream and "Cool". It's even got a song now!
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

MrFulci

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2014, 11:59:46 PM »
cool stuff happened

Nice haul and Mallrats was the first Kevin Smith flick I watched BITD with a bunch of friends. Good times.

It had no idea what to expect, but after the intro, I had an idea what I was in for. The intro where he talks about the cats. That intro right there set the tone.

I recently watched for the first time the extended edition. Wow, other than a few scenes, it is not as good as the theatrical release. It's also missing that entire intro. An instance where I prefer theatrical, the extended release.

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Desh

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 03:30:19 AM »

Good luck!

That's awesome!  I always look in the CD sections at thrift stores for this very reason.  My score from my first post was actually at Allied on Reynolds.  I have also gotten a few items from Mike at Video Game Underground.  He used to have a large collection he sold years back but he's sold me a few leftovers he's found here and there.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 09:24:57 AM »
I've gotten lots of good deals, but nothing really stands out head and shoulders above the rest.  There's been many good deals from peeps here (sealed Bazzy, Dead of the Brain, Faucet Armor, Illust/Print Boosters, LA and pacs, and I've won a couple raffles too), lots of nice stuff from TZD during their sales (including a TurbobExpress bundle with link, ac adapter, car adapter, and a couple games for $150ish), quite a few sealed Turbobs from those UK peeps a few years back (around $13 each shipped), and of course plenty of generous goodies from Secret Santas.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

reson8er

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2014, 09:44:41 AM »
To be honest, I usually don't remember things like this, but I do remember buying a brand new Y's Book I&II from TZD back in the day. Not PCE/Turbo related, but I picked up a LOT of Sega Saturn stuff as it was being discounted, including a few JP releases and the US Panzer Dragoon Saga for not a lot of money. How I wish I had done this during the later days of the Turbo. ](*,)

Black Tiger

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 10:07:27 AM »

Duo R/RX systems do not suffer the same leaky capacitor problem that the regular Duo does and are much sturdier. Any time you buy a regular Duo you should have the caps replaced unless you can confirm that it's already been done.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

HailingTheThings

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2014, 10:17:21 AM »
cool stuff happened

It had no idea what to expect, but after the intro, I had an idea what I was in for. The intro where he talks about the cats. That intro right there set the tone.

I recently watched for the first time the extended edition. Wow, other than a few scenes, it is not as good as the theatrical release. It's also missing that entire intro. An instance where I prefer theatrical, the extended release.

Yeah the intro narration from Brody (Jason Lee) definitely gives you a pretty good idea what's in store. 

As for the extended edition, I only watched it once. For a reason. lol the whole extra storyline was not necessary and I'm glad they axed it.