Author Topic: That TV Series You're Watching  (Read 10483 times)

esteban

That TV Series your watching
« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2016, 09:52:16 AM »
X-Files is back and I'm hyped. I've already seen all of the episodes from earlier seasons and both movies.

Due to REASONS (my son wakes up at night and will disassemble lamps/do dangerous stuff, he's four + special), I watched more TV in last few weeks than I have in the last decade or two. It's crazy. :)

My 6th grader & wife and I are watching original X-Files series and really having fun. We are in Season 2. I barely remember any of these storylines (when they krgianlly aired).

I saw one of the X Files movies (the first) in the theatre, but I don't remember much of that, either. It must have been late 90's?

I watched every episode of "The In-betweeners" (British) on Netflix a few weeks ago and I thought it was pretty entertaining.

EVEN BETTER was the supremely wonderful THE DETECTORISTS (British) on Netflix. I only watched first season...I hope Netflix will sign a contract for the second season!

TWIN PEAKS....I'm wrapping-up the second season. Again, I didn't remember 90% of this stuff, although I had vague memories of the weird events/storylines.  I know I enjoyed the film...so I will watch it immediately after finishing up the next 3(?) episodes.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:56:24 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

Re: That TV Series your watching
« Reply #166 on: February 01, 2016, 10:26:51 AM »
Maude.

esteban

« Reply #167 on: February 01, 2016, 10:54:24 AM »
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #168 on: February 01, 2016, 11:19:33 AM »
No. Maude. The one with all the vest/housecoat things. Norman Lear. 1972. First appearance of Florida and James Evans.

Did you know Conrad Bain had an identical twin brother? That kinda surprised me.

TheOldMan

« Reply #169 on: February 01, 2016, 11:42:03 AM »
No. Maude.  1972. First appearance of Florida and James Evans.

You sure about that? Wasn't their son Lionel a friend of the meathead/Gloria on Archie Bunker?  I could swear Archie went to meet Lionels parents one time, looking for Gloria....
Coulda been post-72 though.

Wow, that makes me old.

(For you Young-uns: IIRC, Maude's hubby Phillip was originally a drinking buddy/ co-worker of Archies. Maude and Edith became friends...Which led to the Maude spin-off. Don't remember how Florida and Maude met (probably at a women's lib meeting), which led to the "good times" spinoff.  Then, iirc, Maude moved into an apartment building, where she met Sherman Hemsley (don't remember the characters name) and the maid (don't remember her name either), who eventually ended up with their own series.... Yeah Normal Lear ruled the 70's sitcoms :)

NightWolve

« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2016, 02:20:35 PM »
Paul Giamatti. Word.

Forget what he did in that "Amazing Spider-Man 2," pretend it never happened and always just think of him from "Shoot 'Em Up"

I might be alone in my appreciation for Lady in the Water.  That's what I think of first when I think of Paul Giamatti.

Nope, that's a fine choice too! I bought a DVD of it. That was way back when M. Night Shyamalan still had his mojo. Was a promising director, kinda sad to see him go downhill like that after a string of successes.

johnnykonami

« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2016, 02:32:36 PM »
Nope, that's a fine choice too! I bought a DVD of it. That was way back when M. Night Shyamalan still had his mojo. Was a promising director, kinda sad to see him go downhill like that after a string of successes.

Nice!  Me too.  I watch all of his movies eventually, still need to see The Visit though.  When it shows up on streaming I will catch it then I guess.  I also enjoyed Wayward Pines, which came out pretty recently.

Warbucks

« Reply #172 on: February 02, 2016, 02:07:04 AM »
I have been watching a few shows.

Black Sails- Just watched Season 3 episode 3
Lucky Man- New Marvel show about an English dude with a gambling problem that gets something to turnlucky 2 episodes out
The Magicians-3rd episode just released
Billions-3rd episode just released
Second Chance

gheebee

« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2016, 07:47:04 AM »
Lately I've been working my way through the 21 Jump Street series and am currently on season 4. It's a pretty hit and miss show as it sometimes focuses too much on some drama with the main characters rather than an actual case and sometimes the conclusions are pretty unsatisfying but overall I like the show. The quality is pretty low on the DVD set but still not too bad when you consider it was $15 for an entire series.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2016, 10:07:35 AM »

TWIN PEAKS....I'm wrapping-up the second season. Again, I didn't remember 90% of this stuff, although I had vague memories of the weird events/storylines.  I know I enjoyed the film...so I will watch it immediately after finishing up the next 3(?) episodes.

I went through Twin Peaks about two years ago... and still haven't watched the movie.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

That TV Series your watching
« Reply #175 on: February 02, 2016, 12:19:22 PM »
Lately I've been working my way through the 21 Jump Street series and am currently on season 4. It's a pretty hit and miss show as it sometimes focuses too much on some drama with the main characters rather than an actual case and sometimes the conclusions are pretty unsatisfying but overall I like the show. The quality is pretty low on the DVD set but still not too bad when you consider it was $15 for an entire series.

I intended to watch the entire 21 Jump Street series when it was onNetflix (7-8 years ago?), but I didn't make it too far.

It was fun watching the episodes, but I made the mistake of assuming it would always be available.

I like the silly show. Also, do you get to see the anti-drug PSA's at the end of the episodes?

1-800-COCAINE

This has always struck me as an absurd-yet-hilarious phone number for a drug/crisis hotline.

I went through Twin Peaks about two years ago... and still haven't watched the movie.

The movie was enjoyable and focused more on elements from the first season, which is better, IMHO.

Aesthetically, I think the movie format (and high production values) elevated the content above its TV soap opera drama roots.

But...I look forward to seeing it if it holds up as well as I hope it will.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 12:23:52 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

gheebee

« Reply #176 on: February 02, 2016, 07:21:41 PM »
I intended to watch the entire 21 Jump Street series when it was onNetflix (7-8 years ago?), but I didn't make it too far.

It was fun watching the episodes, but I made the mistake of assuming it would always be available.

I like the silly show. Also, do you get to see the anti-drug PSA's at the end of the episodes?

1-800-COCAINE

This has always struck me as an absurd-yet-hilarious phone number for a drug/crisis hotline.

I only remember one PSA from the DVDs, it was right before the closing credits on one episode; you're making me wonder if I shouldn't just skip to the next episode as soon as the credits come up... I hate when that happens on Netflix, but if you made it through the first two seasons then you've already seen most of the better episodes, imo.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #177 on: February 03, 2016, 03:46:52 AM »
Dunno if it counts as a tv series, but been watching The Man in the High Castle. Pretty good stuff yet disturbing.

Bloufo

« Reply #178 on: February 03, 2016, 04:05:25 AM »
Dunno if it counts as a tv series, but been watching The Man in the High Castle. Pretty good stuff yet disturbing.

An alternate history story that is not only eery but plausible.

Recently finished watching the last few episodes of the one and only season of Stalker. Pretty bummed that CBS didn't renew for a season 2.

I enjoyed the series as it was different to any other show on current TV. I liked the focus on a different part of the police. Most shows are portraying homicide or cyber or special victims, so this was an interesting angle. The cast were were well suited to their characters and thought the show gave a good scare. Sad to see it go.

johnnykonami

« Reply #179 on: February 03, 2016, 04:57:50 AM »

It counts in my book.  I only watched the very first couple of episodes so far.  I'll have to see the rest.  Love that haunting opening theme.