Author Topic: Nintendo Power Magazine  (Read 1083 times)

Medic_wheat

Nintendo Power Magazine
« on: July 08, 2014, 04:44:53 PM »
Who here collects, owens, read(s), or generally liked Nintendo Power?

Yes yes a Turboplay thread might sound better and our inner obey would release its death grip on our very souls just a hair more.    BUT     I am working to complete a Nintnendo Power magazine collection......and just scored a BIG chuck towards that for a reasonable price of $1 an issue.

In 2010 got lucky with issues 1-49 from a guy looking to sale his original subscription he had as a kid.  Got it for $120. At the time felt a little heavy in the wallet but soon it was announced that the magazine would be discontinued.  Knowking there was a start and stop the idea at that point of collecting an entire run seemed obtainable (especisally since it was less then 300 issues total).  Where as initaly I thought just getting issues 1-100 would be neat.

Then about two weeks ago I scored issues 234-285......

Yes there is a big gap between it all but I feel it is progressing smoothly enough....

So have at it folks....post your thoughts, reminiscent memories of reading with POWER or post pictures of your own library of magazines.....

Also if you are looking to off load some magazines feel free to offer them up here. Maybe I or someone else would like them for a set price, cost of shipping or what have you...

I will post pictures of my run, and who knows maybe I'll have it completed before long...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 08:56:42 AM by Medic_wheat »

HailingTheThings

Re: Nintendo Power Magazine
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 05:01:41 PM »

Medic_wheat

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 05:44:13 PM »
Crazy... I have 50-233 I picked up a few years back from goodwill. Would you be willing to trade obey or "favors" for my intendo powers? :lol:

Lol. I don't think my knees could hold out for any favors lol. As for obey there is most likely nothing I have that isn't common being fairly new to al, that is obey...

But if you are looking to off load those issue pm me.

esteban

Nintendo Power Magazine
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 01:18:04 AM »
#50-233 were the least enjoyable issues of Nintendo Power.
  |    | 

hoobs88

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 01:31:09 AM »
I used to have #1-50 but gave them away a while back. A friend of mine gave me a 1 year subscription a few years ago so I still have those 12 issues.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

xelement5x

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 03:53:12 AM »
I have some from when I was a kid sitting around, but I have a lot more copies of Sega Visions instead.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

bob

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 04:26:59 AM »
I have these available...

Medic_wheat

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 05:40:34 AM »
I have these available...

PM sent

Medic_wheat

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 09:03:45 AM »
I have some from when I was a kid sitting around, but I have a lot more copies of Sega Visions instead.

That's the funny thing for me as well.

As a kid I didn't have the money nore was my parents about to wast money on a magazine subscription so I alwasy would read various gaming magazine's at the local grocery store looking for that one already unsealed by someone else.....My strongest memories of Nintendo Power Magazines was the hand me downs from other family members, or reading one a cousion might have laying around.  This was mostly during the NES and SNES era, as durign the N64 and Game Cube I would just by what ever looked intersting and research on line what might be a good buy versus reading a magazine.......Which is exactly the reason why something like a gaming magazine now failes because the disemilation of information via the internet as a way to market mass media is simply to strong. 

It wasn't until the GC, XBOX, and PS2 that I used my own money to buy gaming magazines, but by then I would always gravitate to the Xbox and PS2 because they offered demo disk's typically....some times music and other times neat little things that made me feel like it was more worth my time and money.  Granted even then I never bothered with subcriptions.

In fact apart from Playboy, HeavyMetal, and the one I get from Gamestop for being a member I have never really bothered with subcriptions...usually at most I would pick up a GQ, Photograpy, Photoshop, Ink Art, Anime mag, or what have you on a whim while at a book store ....

and even then it would be just to have something to look at while I eat a pice of cheese cake or drink a coffee to wast away my Saturdays......

But now there seems to be some interested "retro" gaming magazines, but the subscription price keeps me from wanting to even pick one of these up so far....I don't know.....maybe one day I'll find a modern, retro gaming magazine that will have me throwing my money at it like it has the herp.

I have enjoyed reading through the varoius Nintendo Power Magazines as it give a very distinct slice of life/culter from the period it was published, and the systems featured in it.

I liked how in the final Nintendo Power magazine they did a some what high resolution view at past Nintendo Power Magazines, but I feel that it simply felt light in content.....You would think the final issue would be some monsturas 100 page epic, with all the ads "fat" trimed out...seeing how it felt like a Penny Arcade (web comic) show case with all his old ESRB ads and what not, it seemed like a wasted potenital.

BUT seeing those high resolution scans of past magazines made me think...hey....offer these as downloadable content to be read on a tablet (with it in mind like you see the newer cbr file comics)...that would be pretty nice....

I doubt that would happen any time soon if at all, but it would be pretty RADICAL
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:11:24 AM by Medic_wheat »

bob

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 09:12:31 AM »
I have a bunch of old magazines I'm willing to part with.  The problem is, they are super expensive to ship due to size/weight.  Ten mags cost about $13 just to ship in one of the "medium" priority flat rate boxes.  And that's the cheapest since they can't go media.

toktogul

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 12:27:57 PM »
I have about 2-3 years of magazines back in Canada. I believe its 2001-2002-2003. it still has the badass posters, of games i didnt care back then( castlevania gba for exemple) I missed on soo much. I couldnt read english, i i bought those for the images and review scores hahah.

now that i can read, its very interesting to look at it and see what i missed on.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 01:02:59 PM »
I have about 2-3 years of magazines back in Canada. I believe its 2001-2002-2003. it still has the badass posters, of games i didnt care back then( castlevania gba for exemple) I missed on soo much. I couldnt read english, i i bought those for the images and review scores hahah.

now that i can read, its very interesting to look at it and see what i missed on.

What would be a good example of a game you learned about that you can now read through your stock pile of magazines?

MrFulci

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 03:00:18 PM »

That's the funny thing for me as well.

As a kid I didn't have the money nore was my parents about to wast money on a magazine subscription so I alwasy would read various gaming magazine's at the local grocery store looking for that one already unsealed by someone else.....My strongest memories of Nintendo Power Magazines was the hand me downs from other family members, or reading one a cousion might have laying around.  This was mostly during the NES and SNES era, as durign the N64 and Game Cube I would just by what ever looked intersting and research on line what might be a good buy versus reading a magazine.......Which is exactly the reason why something like a gaming magazine now failes because the disemilation of information via the internet as a way to market mass media is simply to strong. 

It wasn't until the GC, XBOX, and PS2 that I used my own money to buy gaming magazines, but by then I would always gravitate to the Xbox and PS2 because they offered demo disk's typically....some times music and other times neat little things that made me feel like it was more worth my time and money.  Granted even then I never bothered with subcriptions.

In fact apart from Playboy, HeavyMetal, and the one I get from Gamestop for being a member I have never really bothered with subcriptions...usually at most I would pick up a GQ, Photograpy, Photoshop, Ink Art, Anime mag, or what have you on a whim while at a book store ....

and even then it would be just to have something to look at while I eat a pice of cheese cake or drink a coffee to wast away my Saturdays......

But now there seems to be some interested "retro" gaming magazines, but the subscription price keeps me from wanting to even pick one of these up so far....I don't know.....maybe one day I'll find a modern, retro gaming magazine that will have me throwing my money at it like it has the herp.

I have enjoyed reading through the varoius Nintendo Power Magazines as it give a very distinct slice of life/culter from the period it was published, and the systems featured in it.

I liked how in the final Nintendo Power magazine they did a some what high resolution view at past Nintendo Power Magazines, but I feel that it simply felt light in content.....You would think the final issue would be some monsturas 100 page epic, with all the ads "fat" trimed out...seeing how it felt like a Penny Arcade (web comic) show case with all his old ESRB ads and what not, it seemed like a wasted potenital.

BUT seeing those high resolution scans of past magazines made me think...hey....offer these as downloadable content to be read on a tablet (with it in mind like you see the newer cbr file comics)...that would be pretty nice....

I doubt that would happen any time soon if at all, but it would be pretty RADICAL

I read through plenty of gaming magazine at the supermarket while waiting for a parent to shop.

I never subscribed to any. I would occasionally get good deals, such as someone selling a bunch of magazine for cheap at a yard sale r something.

I once had a lot of Nintendo Power magazine, from issue 1, to issue 75? 100? I remember an issue with a thick cover. It was toward the end of the SNES, beginning Nintendo 64. I got 2 large collections, from some people dumping theirs for cheap. like, 50 magazines for $20 or something.

I gave them away in 2003 or so. Pretty stupid of me.

Nintendo power had some good maps in some magazines, I still have a few around.

I also did similar with using my money for magazines that gave me more for the money. PC Gamer had a CD-rom full of game demos and such. First time I played Heroes of Might and Magic 2 was because of a PC Gamer demo. A friend and I played that a lot for a few months.

I also copied lots of codes from some magazines. When Heretic was new, for those who don't know, the DOOM cheats would cause your Heretic character to die, lose weapons, other bad stuff.

Luckily, all the cheats codes were in some magazine at the time. So I went to a local supermarket, took a piece of paper, pen, and jotted down all the codes from the magazine in the store. A friend helped me. Then we went back home and tried it out on our Heretic games. We didn't buy the magazine, as all we wanted were the Heretic Cheat codes.

I bought magazines from time to time, but they had to really interest me. I'd most always rather use my money on something else. Though, if the deal was good, I had no problems with back issues.  A favorite specialty guide I have, is called,  "The Guide to fighting game special moves" or something like that. I think it's from Brady Games. It listed special moves for 12+ fighting games. MK trilogy, World Heroes, Street Fighter, a lot of stuff. I happily paid the $13 or so for that when I saw it. I still have it, it's just a bit worn. :)
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

toktogul

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 03:36:39 PM »

What would be a good example of a game you learned about that you can now read through your stock pile of magazines?

What i mean is that there is a lot of games that i wasnt aware of back when I received those magasine, and only started learning about them once i got into game collecting. Then going back to those magasines, i realise that they were widely publicized, it simply didnt appeal to a younger me. Most of the games are now super famous rpg, but keep in mind that at the time, i didnt speak english, so there is no appeal to an rpg if you dont understand the dialogs. Its painful to figure out what to do and you miss on great stories.

Examples would be Golden sun Gba,Castlevania (im the biggest fan now) and other story driven games. Back then, as a unilangual teenager, i would play sports games like nhl/tony hawk, mario games or fps. Legend of zelda was an exeption, i guess the puzzles arent as much hidden in dialogs so i was able to play zelda games.

So even though i had snes growing up, i never played a final fantasy, chrono trigger or mario rpg during that time. I discovered them very late. To give you an example, i rent final fantasy 7 back in the days, and couldnt kill the first boss (scorpion). for some reason he would always kill me. I gave it a shot few years ago, to realise that in the dialogs before the fight, someone tells you his weakness. Exploiting the weakness made the fight easy and i was finally victorious. It seems like a small thing, but its a burden when you cant understand those small things.

Anyway, point is, nintendo power back in the days was a way for me to discover games through pictures, but there is a lot of "complicated" looking games that i skipped, that only today as a collector/gamer i'm aware of how great they are. I learned english by playing WoW, that was the kick in the butt i needed to force myself to learn it. Nowadays, kids in Quebec canada have games in French (new law, games have to be in french with a french manual). Before, you would look at manual and it was moon languages. I rememer going to the rental store and trying to fgure out if the game is worth it base on the terrible small pictures on the box. Nintendo power was conveniant because it gave me bigger pictures and scores ;) , so i could make a wiser choice based on that.

Sorry the post is dragging way too long.

One last thing. I've been in Japan for 2 years, and i have been doing the same thing. I bought famitsu magasine and tried to make sense of what was written, I avoided text intensive games even though they are great and cheap here. its not all bad because i got way better in Japanese than before, and also i discovered 2 genres that i wasnt a fan of before ; shmups and fighting games. they require no japanese skills and are easy to jump in for small sessions of play. The pc engine became my favorite console, and the saturn, my second.

Before coming to Japan, i had a terrible image of saturn, and i didnt know anything about the pc engine. In a way, i'm glad that the language barrier brought me to discovrt those 2 amazing consoles.

again sorry for that long wall of text. i felt inspired by ur question

MrBroadway

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 05:35:44 AM »
I used to have a complete collection up to the 70s when I was a kid, but it got inherited by my younger siblings and eventually, to my dismay, thrown out. I've tried to collect them again, and got quite a few, though large gaps still exist. I'm not that big of a fan of the N64 ones—their style is off-putting—but I decided to go all the way to 100 at least. Plus, I have the final issue, which I'm keeping in plastic for now.

Volumes missing still:

2-3, 5-12, 24, 30, 32, 39-40, 44-45, 47-49, 54, 59, 67, 69-71, 73, 76-79, 82-84, 86-90, 93-94, 97-100.

I'm not really concerned about acquiring the later ones, but I really would like to reget all the early ones, especially up to the SNES. My goal, once I have them all, is to compile the top lists in the back, analyze the data for the best games of all time, and then actually play everything, including sports, that made it into it.