Author Topic: Intermittant CD-ROM2 problem  (Read 553 times)

Everblue

Intermittant CD-ROM2 problem
« on: July 11, 2014, 08:41:57 PM »
Last week I got myself a nice PC Engine / CD-Rom2 setup. It reads CD-Rs without any issues but something happened (three times so far) which is a tad weird, maybe someone has an explanation for this.

Two days ago, I inserted a disc to play, but then I hit the RUN button, I got the usual WAIT A MOMENT message, but nothing happened, I couldn't hear the drive spinning, nor any ticking noises. I switched off the machine and switched it back on, tried it again, voila, worked.

I didn't give it much thought but it just happened again. I re-opened the lid several times (to be able to press RUN again), but it still got stuck with "WAIT A MOMENT" with disc not spinning problem every time. In the end I switched it off, and back on- had to do this a few times before the disc decided to work.

Any ideas? Cheers!

PS:  I am using a 3rd party PSU - one of those 7.5v/9v/12 adapters - it says regulated on the bo

Keith Courage

Re: Intermittant CD-ROM2 problem
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 09:41:23 PM »
Sounds like the Gearing for the lens doesn't want to move. Lots of times restarting and hitting run a few times gets it moving again.

Most likely your middle gear needs to be replaced and or have the whole drilled out to make it work well once again.

However, this can also be the sign of a weak lens or potentiometer adjustment.

It's just that since you said that you heard nothing that would point me to the Lens gearing.

Everblue

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 10:55:58 PM »
Thanks a lot for your reply =)

I was thinking about the possibility of a weak laser, but considering that sometimes (and only sometimes) the CD-Rom doesn't even spin, points elsewhere. I would guess if it was a weak laser, the disc would spin and then give me an error that it is unreadable or something like that?

Another thing that crossed my mind (other than that the gear needs replacement) is that, maybe, the PSU I am using is not outputting enough power? In theory it is set to 9v and 1.7A which is more than enough. I was wondering if it is worth buying a step down converter (220-110v (I am in europe)) and use the original PSU it came with?

wolfman

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 11:20:59 PM »

Another thing that crossed my mind (other than that the gear needs replacement) is that, maybe, the PSU I am using is not outputting enough power? In theory it is set to 9v and 1.7A which is more than enough. I was wondering if it is worth buying a step down converter (220-110v (I am in europe)) and use the original PSU it came with?

Using a stepdown conv doenst make any sense....i live in europe too and i can assure you any psu with sufficient amps can get you going. I would buy a stabilized psu, they usually are advertised for laptops, with less interference. I am using them myselfy conrad electronic has one in store with 3 amps @ 9 volts which is switchable....pretty cool.

Your issue could be old caps as well, i replaced them on one of my drives and the issue went away. I would try that first, and do a complete relube of the whole sled. That may help as well.
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Everblue

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 11:33:55 PM »
Using a stepdown conv doenst make any sense....i live in europe too and i can assure you any psu with sufficient amps can get you going. I would buy a stabilized psu, they usually are advertised for laptops, with less interference. I am using them myselfy conrad electronic has one in store with 3 amps @ 9 volts which is switchable....pretty cool.

Can you give me the link for it, I will buy one straight away!

Your issue could be old caps as well, i replaced them on one of my drives and the issue went away. I would try that first, and do a complete relube of the whole sled. That may help as well.

I could do that but I would have to ask a friend to do it for me as I do not know how to solder. Is there a list somewhere for a list of capacitors I need to buy to replace them all on the CD-Rom2?

Thanks a lot =)

wolfman

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 04:58:28 AM »

Can you give me the link for it, I will buy one straight away!

I could do that but I would have to ask a friend to do it for me as I do not know how to solder. Is there a list somewhere for a list of capacitors I need to buy to replace them all on the CD-Rom2?

Thanks a lot =)

Sure, here it is:
http://www.conrad.at/ce/de/product/513942/Notebook-Netzteil-Goobay-53999-36-W-5-VDC-6-VDC-75-VDC-9-VDC-12-VDC-135-VDC-15-VDC-3000-mA?ref=searchDetail

Regarding the caps just take look into the repair threads pinned to this forum section,there you find them marked on photos with a list attached.

Where are you based?
CryptoCoin Warrior

Everblue

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 05:33:44 AM »
Thanks a lot! I am in Malta :)

Just wondering, is there any one based in the EU here that offers fixing services? I would like to have my CD-Rom2 Unit recapped, CD rail lubricated and the gear replaced (I already have a replacement for it).

wolfman

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 05:35:42 AM »
Thanks a lot! I am in Malta :)

Just wondering, is there any one based in the EU here that offers fixing services? I would like to have my CD-Rom2 Unit recapped, CD rail lubricated and the gear replaced (I already have a replacement for it).

Send me a pm, maybe I can help you.

CryptoCoin Warrior

Everblue

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 05:48:07 AM »
Thanks, will do!

Everblue

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 09:29:02 AM »
Regarding the caps just take look into the repair threads pinned to this forum section,there you find them marked on photos with a list attached.

I'm probably slow being the weekend and everything, but I can't find the link for the CD-Rom2 caps replacement. :/

wolfman

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 09:55:27 AM »

I'm probably slow being the weekend and everything, but I can't find the link for the CD-Rom2 caps replacement. :/

Here ist the link:
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=7012.0

Take a look into the top section of the "Mod" Forum section. There you find all repair instructions, that are sticky. Remember: Turbografx CD and PC Engine CDROM2 are basically the same design, but different color ;)
CryptoCoin Warrior

Everblue

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 09:21:02 PM »
Thanks a lot :)

Update, it happened again this morning. Switched it on/off/on a few times and it worked. Pity this problem 'rarely' happens because if it did every time it would be much easier to fix I guess (and be sure it is fixed). Ordering a replacement PSU now.

Everblue

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 09:01:12 PM »
A couple of days ago I received a replacement PSU and for a few times it worked perfect. I thought, great problem solved. Unfortunately this morning when I booted my machine it got stuck on the WAIT A MOMENT screen. Usually I switch it off and on until it works, but this time I left it on.... and after 3 minutes or so "WAIT A MOMENT" the game loaded just fine. (I didn't touch the PCE at all).

Any ideas? Thanks!

wolfman

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 03:35:45 AM »
A couple of days ago I received a replacement PSU and for a few times it worked perfect. I thought, great problem solved. Unfortunately this morning when I booted my machine it got stuck on the WAIT A MOMENT screen. Usually I switch it off and on until it works, but this time I left it on.... and after 3 minutes or so "WAIT A MOMENT" the game loaded just fine. (I didn't touch the PCE at all).

Any ideas? Thanks!

Well, from this far I can´t really judge what it is. But it might be cap-related. Could also be a misaligned laser, that has a hard time reading the disc....

Just my 2 cents.
CryptoCoin Warrior

Everblue

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 04:23:58 AM »
Guess I will have to get it fixed. Sending you PM!