Author Topic: Video Game Rehab eh?  (Read 550 times)

esteban

Video Game Rehab eh?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 04:58:09 AM »
Ha! What a great article.

1. I agree with PC Gaijin who asserted that the article was overly sensational  (as most coverage of violence / sex in games has been) and that the fellow Bakker clearly has an interest in legitimizing video game addiction. Well, it goes further than that: He wants to legitimize the "medicalization" of VG addiction. Don't worry, we'll see drugs incorporated  into the overall therapy (this is a troubling trend, the medicalization of everything). Counseling is a good thing, though.

2. I also feel that you can be addicted to anything. So, in that sense, I am not trying to debunk video game addiction.

Back in the day, I was addicted to video games / computer. I'd tell my friends I couldn't go out, just to play some more NES. I'd sneak downstairs when everyone was sleeping and play at night. If I was working on a project on the computer (I made demos and basic text adventure / shooting games), I would spend every spare second working on it until I burnt out. As soon as I got some sleep, though, I was back on the Apple ][ like a zombie.

There should be some sort of "litmus test" to determine if you really have a severe addiction. When you start lying to your friends and family, sneaking around, and developing elaborate ploys just to satiate your compulsion, I think that it qualifies as an addiction.
  |    | 

Keranu

Video Game Rehab eh?
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 06:02:01 PM »
Hahaha! Steve, you and your 80's stories rock! :D
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).