Author Topic: Problems with PC Engine and AV Booster  (Read 412 times)

mdmx

Problems with PC Engine and AV Booster
« on: June 10, 2006, 05:35:39 AM »
Hello everyone :)

this is my first post here. I own a japanese PC Engine since 5 years and I'm very happy with it. Unfortunately I have a problem with a recently bought AV Booster. I don't have much experience with the PC Engine hardware and I hope someone is able to help me :)

The problem is that I get no picture from the AV Booster. Sound ist ok. The AV Booster works fine with a PC Engine of a friend. So I think there is a problem with the expansion port of my PC Engine.

The AV Booster has a RGB mod. Unfortunately I don't have the RGB cable.

I opened up my PC Engine and I found out that it's modified. I don't know for what it's good for. Maybe someone knows? And could this the problem that the AV Booster doesn't work with my PC Engine?

Here are some pictures:

grahf

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 06:16:04 AM »
About the AV booster,
There is a very very good posibility that if it is modded for RGB, then RGB is the only thing that will output. The standard composite (yellow) plug is most likely not getting a signal.

Unfortunatly, i cant offer you any advise about the inside of your PC Engine. I have only owned Duos myself. However, i have heard that the  PAL PC Engines have extra hardware in order to produce a PAL signal. This is what it looks like to me.

Try posting these pics at the GAMESX.com forum if you dont have any luck here.

mdmx

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 09:34:08 AM »
Quote from: "grahf"
About the AV booster,
There is a very very good posibility that if it is modded for RGB, then RGB is the only thing that will output. The standard composite (yellow) plug is most likely not getting a signal

hmm, I don't think so, because it works fine with the PC Engine from my friend. However his Engine is a japanese unit.

I bought mine on a second hand market here in Germany. I think it's a japanese unit, because on the backside is some japanese text. Possibly it's modded to produce a PAL signal.

Digi.k

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 10:26:46 AM »
that might be exactly it!

Your PC Engine is modified to play in PAL 50hz signal?

I dunno if it can go back to its original NTSC 60hz signal then.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 11:14:54 AM »
Quote from: "Digi.k"
that might be exactly it!

Your PC Engine is modified to play in PAL 50hz signal?

I dunno if it can go back to its original NTSC 60hz signal then.

This sounds likely. If it is a PAL machine, you can tell because all the colours look like similar shades of pale blue, greek and pinkish (the original PAL conversions were not too good).
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

mdmx

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 10:23:01 AM »
the image quality isn't really good because the RF port is a bit loose. That's the reason why I bought the AV Booster.

Should I remove all the cables or is it a better idea to sell these PC Engine as a PAL modded on ebay and buy an original NTSC-J instead?

The_Riddler

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 10:14:47 AM »
Unfortunatly your system is definetly a PAL mod. The very small board attached to the engine hosts the clock for 50Hz. The original clock has been removed. I bought one from Ebay, too. Tried to tap RGB but did not work in the end (colores were missing). My suggestion: Leave it as it is and buy one which is not fixed.

mdmx

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 11:01:10 AM »
Thanks for the hint. I will have a look for another unit on ebay.

grahf

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 04:18:55 PM »
Let me know if you decide to sell it. I dont care if its not working correctly.

mdmx

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 07:53:33 AM »
I bought a used system from JapanGameStock. It should arrive within the next weeks. If everything is ok, I will sell the PAL modified Engine. The system works fine. The only problem is that there is no video available on the extension bus due to the PAL mod. And as sunteam_paul already wrote, the colors aren't so colorful. I will make a sales thread with pictures when I'm ready.

grahf

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 10:17:23 AM »
Send me a PM when you do, im interested in buying it. I dont really need it, but im very curious about the extra electronics.