Author Topic: Studio Ghibli closing feature film production  (Read 601 times)

DragonmasterDan

Studio Ghibli closing feature film production
« on: August 03, 2014, 01:11:41 PM »
I saw this news and was deeply saddened.

I'm a big fan of their work and I see this as a big loss for 2D animation.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=121379
http://www.hypable.com/2014/08/03/studio-ghibli-announces-closure/
--DragonmasterDan

TheClash603

Re: Studio Ghibli closing feature film production
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 03:16:18 PM »
Sad news, but with Miyazaki retiring, I am not shocked to see this.  Hopefully they come out with a Blu-ray box set of the feature films, I would love to pick something like that up.

TR0N

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 07:15:46 PM »
That's a shame to one of the few left that did hand drawn animation.Still as clash mention,Mizayazki did retire recently with his last film (the wind rises) and i'm not surprised either.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Tatsujin

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 02:17:50 AM »
that's sad, but it's all decided by the folks. if nobody wanz them awesome handdrawn art anymore, it dies. plain and simple.

same happened to the 2D games years ago as well.

www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Opethian

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 02:19:48 AM »
wonder if there will be a Disney buyout? Lego Ghibli!!!! lol

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

spenoza

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 10:30:32 AM »
That's a shame to one of the few left that did hand drawn animation.Still as clash mention,Mizayazki did retire recently with his last film (the wind rises) and i'm not surprised either.

Miyazaki keeps retiring and un-retiring, but Ghibli hasn't been able to groom any reliable replacements. Miyazaki's son and the few other creatives they let direct just can't seem to carry the studio like Miyazaki could. The closure is temporary, but I don't see it being a short temporary. The only way they can come back is if they manage to find some new talent who can revitalize the studio.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 10:56:37 AM »
It's not entirely accurate.

I'd google post all the follow ups about it, but I am lazy
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

InfraMan

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 11:03:09 AM »
Really saddened to hear this... it's too bad Goro doesn't have his father's natural talent. Guess this is the end of an era.

spenoza

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 02:38:51 PM »
It's not entirely accurate.

You're right. They aren't closing. They are saying several different things which are hard to match up. There were rumors they were closing, and then it was stated they are suspending animation projects for a while and just focusing on licensing, with later information stating they are considering a restructuring.

This doesn't change that their last couple films simply haven't been as successful as they would like, and given their labor-heavy, traditional approach to animation, not to mention their focus on quality production and music as well, they don't make cheap movies.

The impression I've gotten from all this is that they are not where they want to be, and they are certain if they keep doing what they've been doing, they are going to start losing money and getting even further off-target. But there's another impression I get, and that is that they don't know what on-target is. They know they want to be creative and successful, but Hayao Miyazaki has been single-handedly carrying the studio for easily over a decade.

So now they need to go into very-low-expenditure mode while they figure out 1. what kind of company they want to be and 2. what it will take to make themselves into that company.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

TR0N

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 07:22:28 PM »

Miyazaki keeps retiring and un-retiring, but Ghibli hasn't been able to groom any reliable replacements. Miyazaki's son and the few other creatives they let direct just can't seem to carry the studio like Miyazaki could. The closure is temporary, but I don't see it being a short temporary. The only way they can come back is if they manage to find some new talent who can revitalize the studio.
I guess,miyazaki needs to make him his mind up i know he's pull the stunt before.I just hope Ghibli closer is just a temporary thing.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

wildfruit

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 11:00:35 PM »
トトロ

Medic_wheat

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 01:55:50 AM »

I guess,miyazaki needs to make him his mind up i know he's pull the stunt before.I just hope Ghibli closer is just a temporary thing.

Me to. GHIBLI has talent and a skill set that simply does not exist anymore. No one does cel shaded animation.

It is similar to my love of comixs. People are no longer doing art on paper as much. Take Saga a great comic and whimsical art my Fiona Staples. She does it all digital from the cocer to the panels. That means apart from a jpeg the art can disappear.

pulstar

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 01:58:16 AM »
It would be a loss if they shut down completely. I know Miyazaki's son get's a lot of flak but I actually enjoyed Tales of Earthsea that he took the lead on. I think he just needs a little more experience and he'll be able to take over quite competently.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 03:15:57 AM »
It would be a loss if they shut down completely. I know Miyazaki's son get's a lot of flak but I actually enjoyed Tales of Earthsea that he took the lead on. I think he just needs a little more experience and he'll be able to take over quite competently.

He also directed "From up on poppy hill".
--DragonmasterDan

Medic_wheat

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 07:57:20 AM »
I saw both of those films and they didn't leave much of an impression...

in fact I honestly can not recall a single story element from either of those movies......

Maybe Ghibli should just go the route of many other Japan Animation Studios.....

Just do the animation ........ (premium cel painted animation) but animation at that......

that way they can then work on passion projects and inhouse films and still take a lose if it doesn't do so well.