Author Topic: Region Chip  (Read 617 times)

johnnymad

Re: Region Chip
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 11:15:41 AM »
I ended up using these for my mod. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=16637366 Put a little solder on the pins and slipped these over them. Heated up solder and had a solid connection. Not the most professional way, but my soldering skills had diminished since the last time I soldered. Had to make it work somehow. :)

clackattack

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 04:12:21 AM »
After many a headache and hours of hair pulling, ive decided to contract Turbokon to help me get this thing finished. I know he can do some awesome work just based on what Ive seen on his site and around here. Was really excited about getting this done myself, but with planning stuff for my wedding here in less than a month and being short-staffed at work, my patience has worn thin and my freetime is far and inbetween here lately. At this point it would be nice to be able to devote my little free time to actually playing this thing rather than tinkering with it, so ill leave it to a pro to handle for now. Myabe once all is said and done around here and I get some of MY time back, perhaps ill take a swing at an RGB mod... or maybe region mod my saturn like ive been talking about for over a year now...
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

clackattack

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 11:40:49 AM »
SOOOoooo I found some cool little wire thingys that I believe will make this mod MUCH easier than it is. Ill get some pics of these fellas posted up here soon. Essentially the idea is that these connectors will easily slip over the pins that you have to clip from the back of the card slot, the wire can be attached to the other end of these jumpers, so there will no longer be a need to solder on the HUcard pins themselves.

I sent some of these out to Turbokon so he can test fit some of these so we can determine if they will in fact work. Also looks like they may be a good fit to jump off of the rear I/O pins for a homebrew AV method... more to come soon....

turbokon

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 12:08:37 PM »
Clackattack turbografx:)

Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

clackattack

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 12:16:11 PM »
Clackattack turbografx:)

looks awesome! thanks again for helping me out, I was at witts end with that thing. Got that money sent your way earlier...cant wait to get her back in and jam out on some Rondo of Blood!

wyndcrosser

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 02:32:42 AM »
I don't recall where I saw this, but I think it was on his site, but creating loops on your wires and pulling it tight on the pins, makes life super easy, since when you cut the pins it you a hook. I think I got mine done in about 2 hours of straight work and a beer or two.

If anyone ever needs help, I could always assist. I'm in the Center of the country (MI).

clackattack

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 11:51:43 AM »
I ended up using these for my mod. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=16637366 Put a little solder on the pins and slipped these over them. Heated up solder and had a solid connection. Not the most professional way, but my soldering skills had diminished since the last time I soldered. Had to make it work somehow. :)

What I had found in the same little "Schmart" jumpers that Johnnymad had mentioned b4 (I conveniently over-looked said post 1 day prior to packing and sending mine away :/ ) Just figured I would try to spread the knowledge since not everyone is able to/is willing to cut and solder on their babies, and those things would definitely make the work cleaner and easier for most. Im working on figuring out a cost effective way to get my hands on more of those, either by means of a bulk store order since Im a manager at a radioshack, or maybe try to source the actual tabs from the makers over at Schmart.

johnnymad

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 02:32:14 PM »
What I had found in the same little "Schmart" jumpers that Johnnymad had mentioned b4 (I conveniently over-looked said post 1 day prior to packing and sending mine away :/ ) Just figured I would try to spread the knowledge since not everyone is able to/is willing to cut and solder on their babies, and those things would definitely make the work cleaner and easier for most. Im working on figuring out a cost effective way to get my hands on more of those, either by means of a bulk store order since Im a manager at a radioshack, or maybe try to source the actual tabs from the makers over at Schmart.

Haha. I read your post and was like, yeah, already said that. I had a few problems getting the wires to stay connected to the pins but had more of a problem with them touching each other. Bridged connections are bad. Had no problems once I found these connectors. Hope others will start looking into these wires as well.

clackattack

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 10:26:52 AM »
I know this post is dead for the most part, but just wanted to throw this on here since it was on my mind... Got my baby back from Turbokon and its running better than ever! Thanx a million Turbo for the awesome work! Wouldnt hesitate to refer a fellow Turbo-fan or PCEFX member to you for mod work!

And BTW, if anyone is wanting to attempt this mod themselves, I can get my hands on some great little jumper wires that will most certainly make the job easier. Just PM if you want to know more about the jumpers or If you need some I can order some in at the Radioshack I manage and ship them to you guyz

Desh

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 12:44:01 PM »
I don't recall where I saw this, but I think it was on his site, but creating loops on your wires and pulling it tight on the pins, makes life super easy, since when you cut the pins it you a hook. I think I got mine done in about 2 hours of straight work and a beer or two.

If anyone ever needs help, I could always assist. I'm in the Center of the country (MI).

Where in MI?  I'm in NW Ohio.