Author Topic: Super CDROM2 laser issues  (Read 564 times)

Cyborc

Super CDROM2 laser issues
« on: August 07, 2014, 07:32:43 PM »
Hey guys, my grey Super CDROM2 unit is having some trouble with cd-rs. After changing the lens and messing with the pots for what seemed like hours, the unit is loading cd-rs fine initially, but at random intervals the music will either abruptly stop playing, or will make some garbled sounds and stop playing. Also, on occasion, the game will completely lock up and pressing select+run will not soft reboot.

The random nature of the problem is the most troubling. I can play a game for an hour and no problems at all, and other times I get 10 minutes into the game and the music cuts out or the game freezes. I know cd-r usage on these old machines are frowned upon sometimes, but these cd-rs are Taiyo Yudens burned at slow speed and they worked just fine on my duo-r (why oh why did I sell my duo-r!!  :cry:)

I only have one real game at the moment, Cosmic Fantasy 2, but I haven't encountered any problems with it so far, but I haven't played the game much as I don't really care for it. The Super CDROM2 unit has been recapped so I don't think it's a cap issue.

Cogwheels

Re: Super CDROM2 laser issues
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 07:58:14 PM »
Mine has started having similar problems (although with official games) and sometimes the disc won't spin around either :( annoying as I've only had it a couple of months and I have some Dracula x to play!

Now to find someone in the UK who can repair it

thesteve

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 08:37:45 PM »
Using a crt scope is quite helpful when adjusting the pots
You need to adjust using a harder to read disc
Also slide rail snags will cause the same symptoms (clean/grease)

Cyborc

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 08:43:33 PM »
unfortunately I don't have access to a scope but I'll try cleaning and regreasing. Maybe I didn't put enough grease on when I changed the lens.

thesteve

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 10:19:31 PM »
Too little, too much, either way
It just needs to slide smoothly
Most times a scope isn't required, but I just did a CDR2 that wouldn't read cdr at all, till I hooked a scope to it

turbokon

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 02:19:11 AM »

Too little, too much, either way
It just needs to slide smoothly
Most times a scope isn't required, but I just did a CDR2 that wouldn't read cdr at all, till I hooked a scope to it

Steve, you should do a how guide on this.  I don't have a scope but I would get one just for this.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Desh

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 05:43:32 AM »
I have the same problem AFTER I adjusted the pots to quiet my unit down.  To make a long story short My unit is super loud when reading a disc and would cause feedback in the audio.  Other than the noise it worked fine and read CD-Rs with no problem.  I lubricated all moving parts and adjusted the pots and my noise problem got much better.  However now it won't read CD-Rs.  It plays real games and audio CD-Rs with no problem.  I still, also, have a noisy unit so I'm going to try and re-clean the shafts (in case there was some hardened crap in there I didn't get out the first time) and try and play with the pots again.  My only other guess on the noise would be the drive motor starting to go bad but I haven't heard of anyone having that happen.  Anyways, I let you know what gets mine back up to snuff.

thesteve

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 08:19:37 AM »
The LA has a guide, and the concept is the same

NightWolve

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 06:44:11 PM »
After changing the lens and messing with the pots for what seemed like hours, the unit is loading cd-rs fine initially, but at random intervals the music will either abruptly stop playing, or will make some garbled sounds and stop playing.

OK, so you did regrease it. I dunno if you freed the drive motor via the 2 screws that mount it, but if you do so, that let's you freely slide the laser unit back'n'forth making it easier to clean/regrease the pole, and then you can lift that motor vertically to add some motor oil in it (what I did). That's how I fixed my problem.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=7012.msg296648#msg296648

Your case, you've replaced the laser and have messed with the pots, so that's tricky. Probably still a problem with them not being exactly proper...

Cyborc

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 07:46:33 PM »
I'll give that a try thanks! However, the pessimist in me thinks it's VR related... :cry:

If anyone in the USA has a scope and experience calibrating lasers I'll pay you to get mine working...

thesteve

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 10:23:18 PM »
im in cali

Cyborc

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »
sending a pm your way, steve.

thesteve

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 08:54:40 PM »

cd scope display

Cyborc

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 09:01:46 PM »
I'm embarrassed to admit, I have no idea what that means. good or bad?  :oops:

turbokon

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 12:54:14 AM »
I'm guessing there should only be one wave signal.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com