Author Topic: Would you mod your system with this?  (Read 654 times)

johnnymad

Would you mod your system with this?
« on: August 19, 2014, 04:48:20 AM »
Saw a video on YouTube about this product made for 3DO. http://www.stoneagegamer.com/3do-usb-adapter-panasonic-fz-10.html Would any of you do this or have it done to your system if they made one for PCE/TG?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Would you mod your system with this?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 04:56:23 AM »
I wouldn't want one exactly like that, not as long as I have a working CD drive and/or replacements are available.  However, I would be interested in a flash based CD replacement that would attach to the expansion bus of a TG-16 / PCE, meaning it would also have to have backup ram, adpcm, etc.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

johnnymad

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 04:59:57 AM »
However, I would be interested in a flash based CD replacement that would attach to the expansion bus of a TG-16 / PCE, meaning it would also have to have backup ram, adpcm, etc.

That would be very cool. Ever since I got my Everdrive, I've been wondering if there's some kind of way to store and play all the roms on the system. This seems to be the closest thing but I'm not really into permanently removing the CD drive.

roflmao

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 06:59:26 AM »
If I could get one of those added to my Express, I'd be all over it. :)

Desh

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 07:12:26 AM »
I wouldn't want one exactly like that, not as long as I have a working CD drive and/or replacements are available.  However, I would be interested in a flash based CD replacement that would attach to the expansion bus of a TG-16 / PCE, meaning it would also have to have backup ram, adpcm, etc.

This... make it look like a turbo booster along with component out and that would be killer.

wildfruit

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 07:59:13 AM »
Best idea ever

ctophil

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 09:20:20 AM »
Saw a video on YouTube about this product made for 3DO. http://www.stoneagegamer.com/3do-usb-adapter-panasonic-fz-10.html Would any of you do this or have it done to your system if they made one for PCE/TG?

I don't like modding any of my systems.  I like them the way they are (mentality of a purist, lol).  That's why I prefer a Turbografx-16 converter to play import games over getting it modded, although the prices are similar. 

NightWolve

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 03:33:03 AM »
That's a helluva mod... Dunno why the 3DO got this kind of attention for such a thing, though...

johnnymad

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 06:28:31 AM »
Yeah. I mean, are there that many great games for the system? This, or something like the flash based expansion thingy, would be perfect for the TG and PCE. Just wish I had the chops to design it in the real world. It's already a thing in my brain.

Rosser

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 12:20:11 PM »
I read that there are people currently working on one for the PCE-CD and the Saturn. I believe the guys are from Eastern Europe/Russian. Have you read about the recent mods to the Dreamcast a PCB board that adds a usb drive to the back of the system and emulates the cd-drive. 

Desh

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 01:28:20 PM »
I read that there are people currently working on one for the PCE-CD and the Saturn. I believe the guys are from Eastern Europe/Russian. Have you read about the recent mods to the Dreamcast a PCB board that adds a usb drive to the back of the system and emulates the cd-drive.

Whoa!  I'm gonna have to look into that Dreamcast mod.

SephirothTNH

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 02:14:28 PM »
To answer the original question.  Hell yes I would.  I would prefer to have some method of keeping the cd rom attached too though.

The guy who made the gd emu posted that he was wanting to work on something PCE related so there is hope for something like this.   No relation to the other dreamcast sd loader being talked about here.   

MrFulci

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 02:53:22 PM »
That's a pretty cool mod. I wouldn't want to sacrifice my Duo's CD-Rom, however, I wouldn't mind a similar mod, that left a USB port somewhere, with a switch to switch between CD-Rom, or USB. I already have a switch for US/JAP HuCards, I could tolerate another for USB/CD.

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

NightWolve

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 05:50:47 AM »
NEC had that device for the HuCard slot of a TurboDuo to turn it into an external CD-ROM reader for your computer, so something could be possible without breaking the existing reader I would hope. Would be nice if it can be done without major soldering work.

wyndcrosser

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 02:28:38 AM »
Personally, if you go as far as getting an emulator device for the CD-Rom, you might as well just play the games on an emulator on your PC. I originally saw that for the 3d0 and almost jumped on it, but I thought I'd go too far away of why I kept or repurchased my old retro consoles.