Author Topic: Fricken Lasers!  (Read 255 times)

Desh

Fricken Lasers!
« on: August 21, 2014, 11:10:20 AM »
I just wondered if anyone has tried to use one of these before as a replacement for the TGCD/PCECD attachments.

I found it in an old Sony CD player model D-T3.  Physically it's the same but I don't know if there's a difference in ratings or not.  I have been toying with the idea of tossing it in a PCE CD I'm having trouble with. 

I decided to mess with this as I needed a break from my Duo.  It looks to have been recapped and has a 2 gear drive (conversion?).  Anyways, the CD will start to spin for a second and then stops and then, you of course, get the "set disc" message.  The assembly goes back to center and the laser adjusts up and down.  In fact, it keeps trying to adjust up and down.  I thought it might be a simple pot adjustment which I've spent hours on using the "How To" thread stickied here.

Any other common things to look for other than obvious broken traces, burn spots etc?  And yes the ribbon cables are installed properly.

thesteve

Re: Fricken Lasers!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 11:32:42 AM »
a dead laser wont spin, but a badly adjusted one will spin then stop
a weak or damaged one will sometimes be unadjustable, but still spin
press play on drive
if it doesnt get to "1" try adjustments, but its likely dead
if it shows "1" it can likely be adjusted to run

Desh

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 11:54:03 AM »
a dead laser wont spin, but a badly adjusted one will spin then stop
a weak or damaged one will sometimes be unadjustable, but still spin
press play on drive
if it doesnt get to "1" try adjustments, but its likely dead
if it shows "1" it can likely be adjusted to run

Thank you again.  It does not go to "1" so I suspect it's bad.  I may toss that assembly I found in there later for shits, otherwise I'll start searching for a replacement.

Keith Courage

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 02:35:01 PM »
I've also seen a bad laser spin up a disc but then it just starts spinning super super fast and never really reads anything.

that lens you have there should be compatible with the CD Drive. they are not as common as the 162 or the 220 but from what I've read it should work.

Desh

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 05:12:58 PM »
I've also seen a bad laser spin up a disc but then it just starts spinning super super fast and never really reads anything.

that lens you have there should be compatible with the CD Drive. they are not as common as the 162 or the 220 but from what I've read it should work.

It does work.  It fired up.  There is a major hurdle in using the Sony D-T3.  The ribbon cables are soldered directly to the board.  Even being super careful I did end up damaging one and had to do a "repair".  This is the main reason I'm still going to re-replace this assembly.  Also, this unit is damn loud when trying to focus.  It at least makes this unit usable until I get the replacement I just ordered.  The good news is that if I find a piece of hardware with this pickup assembly, I know it can be used.

Desh

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 01:15:44 PM »
I received my Sony Discman D-4 donor today.  I swapped the laser assemblies and I am back in business.