Author Topic: Octurbofest 2014: 25th Anniversary Celebration: October 18th  (Read 2679 times)

jtucci31

Re: Octurbofest 2014: 25th Anniversary Celebration: October 18th
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 04:07:43 AM »
Apparently this is right in the middle of my "fall break", so I'm good to go. Can't wait for the full Turbo experience at Galloping Ghost! :mrgreen:

MrFulci

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 12:34:02 AM »
I'm still seeing if this financially makes sense to attend, if I can combine it with another trip.

If not, I need to make it to one of these TG-16 fests sometime, since I am playing TG-16 more than I have in aw hile. I go through lulls of nothing, a bit , a lot, nothing, etc...

That Galloping Ghost sounds nice, I only heard of it last year, when I popped in for a short time to post about some Splatterhouse score I saw on a news site, which was old news to others here.

So I know, for the future, what are the TG places PCEFX folks tend to gather at? From what I gathered on this board, since I've been more "regular" here lately; The VGC thing in July, MGC, and this? I just need to fill in, since if I know of them, I can keep them in mind next time they roll around, if Octurbofest does not make financial sense to me.

I sometimes plan far ahead for, "Vacation" type stuff, like 6 months, but also pick up on things quick, if they make sense.

So, are the main ones MGC, VGC, and this?
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 03:01:42 AM »

You sir are correct.

If I had to suggest one to attend to try the gatherings out, I'd say MGC in March/April.  It's a much larger event with vendors and goodies up the wazoo.  VGS is like a much smaller version of MGC and OcTurboFest is just a bunch of us nerds that gather at an Arcade (the coolest arcade of all time!).

MrFulci

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 03:07:53 AM »

You sir are correct.

If I had to suggest one to attend to try the gatherings out, I'd say MGC in March/April.  It's a much larger event with vendors and goodies up the wazoo.  VGS is like a much smaller version of MGC and OcTurboFest is just a bunch of us nerds that gather at an Arcade (the coolest arcade of all time!).

I'm not too keen on the vendors. Not much I'm interested in adding to what I already have, except maybe a few loose NES or 2600 carts. I'd more be going for playing TG-16 with nerds, not buying games.

*edited to add;

Joshua,

Thank you for the information. The Octurbofest is just a short time, a set amount of hours of one day. If I can coordinate, I will do it, otherwise, come this Winter, I will plan to make it to one, or both, of the other 2 when they roll around again.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 03:19:55 AM by MrFulci »
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 05:09:04 AM »

You sir are correct.

Obligatory plug for MAGFest. But if you wanting to PLAY obey...MAG might not be the best for you. Personally, I play at home, but at cons I like to mingle and meet new turboheads. Talking shop with fellow like-minded folks with a few beers...okay, A f*ckING LOT of beers, is tops in my book.

From my experience, the Great Lakes region seems to have the majority of PCFX members that actually get out to cons. There are other gaming conventions: MAGFest, PAX, CGE, Portland Retro, SGC, TMG...there is even Retropalooza that is on it's 2nd year that might be closer to you but will lack in the turbo department for sure.

I agree with Josh, def plan for MGC. 'Fest and VGC are cool if you are local...I would not pay for a flight or drive more than 5 hours for them. But if you're like me, after meeting forum folks at MGC, I make VGC and Turbofest when my schedule allows.

This years Octurbo falls in-between TFC and Youmacon...it'll be a tough sell for me to make it, but with me, you never know if I'll show my ugly mug.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

MrFulci

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 05:16:22 AM »
That's all it is. When I show to one of these, I'd want to encounter someone from these boards. I, long story short, go through lulls of not TG-16 (Sorry, I bought at TG, got into it as TG, so, yes, like PCE, but..), some games, more games than before, less, it repeats.

I see what the main 3 seem to be. This upcoming one, unless I can make certain plans flow, I won't make it. but, if from what I read about the other 2 I mentioned, stays true 'til the next go round, i'll give at least one of those a go.

A silly trip just to play TG/PCE, yeah, but why not, at least once.

I'll read about MAGfest after this post. See what, how that is. Galloping ghost seems nice. no big need to worry about beer there, I read something they allow outside stuff inside, NOT ALCOHOL, and I have a palette that I can drink Non-alcoholic, of certain brands at certain temperatures. Easier to that than ask for tea, I'd imagine. I hate, "Soft drinks" (Soda water + sugar). I wasn't raised with it, so I don't have the taste for it. What more can I say!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:18:20 AM by MrFulci »

jeffhlewis

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 05:41:18 AM »
That's all it is. When I show to one of these, I'd want to encounter someone from these boards. I, long story short, go through lulls of not TG-16 (Sorry, I bought at TG, got into it as TG, so, yes, like PCE, but..), some games, more games than before, less, it repeats.

I see what the main 3 seem to be. This upcoming one, unless I can make certain plans flow, I won't make it. but, if from what I read about the other 2 I mentioned, stays true 'til the next go round, i'll give at least one of those a go.

I'll read about MAGfest after this post. See what, how that is. Galloping ghost seems nice. no big need to worry about beer there, I read something they allow outside stuff inside, NOT ALCOHOL, and I have a palette that I can drink Non-alcoholic, of certain brands at certain temperatures. Easier to that than ask for tea, I'd imagine. I hate, "Soft drinks" (Soda water + sugar). I wasn't raised with it, so I don't have the taste for it. What more can I say!

True that GG does not allow alcohol (or gum! I've been busted for chewing gum a bunch of times for whatever reason), but there's a Chinese takeout place and a diner close by. More food options if you're willing to travel a few miles in either direction.

There's also a bar that Majors and I frequent when we're there - it's called "In The Galloping Ghost Parking Lot Between Two Cars"

MrFulci

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 05:47:09 AM »

it's called "In the _______ Parking Lot Between Two Cars"

NA stuff is OK for me, I just can't drink much Coca Cola, Pepsi Cola, Dr. Pepper, Surge (I know it's gone), etc. It's not the sugar buzz, more like an, "We're not used to all this sugar, we better crash to survive, MF." brain feeling. NAB is probably fine, there.... or water + tea, coffee, etc.

I'll see what I can do, I've been talking about this one the past few days here, and if I can line up certain obstacles to make sense, I can maybe make it.

jtucci31

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 07:32:32 AM »

True that GG does not allow alcohol (or gum! I've been busted for chewing gum a bunch of times for whatever reason)

I get busted for chewing gum every single time. I just always manage to "forget" :)

I understand that purpose, and it's not like I'd ever stick it anywhere than the trash. But i like my gum!

MrFulci

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 07:39:14 AM »

True that GG does not allow alcohol (or gum! I've been busted for chewing gum a bunch of times for whatever reason)

I get busted for chewing gum every single time. I just always manage to "forget" :)

I understand that purpose, and it's not like I'd ever stick it anywhere than the trash. But i like my gum!

Forget this mess, necromancer is on a trip;

jeffhlewis

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 07:40:49 AM »

If they were going for the real authentic late-80's arcade experience, they would allow chain smoking on premises and would have a pizza oven burning pizza to cinders 'round the clock.

jtucci31

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 07:43:56 AM »

If they were going for the real authentic late-80's arcade experience, they would allow chain smoking on premises and would have a pizza oven burning pizza to cinders 'round the clock.

Oh man, with pizza right there, i would be there from open to close. I always get really hungry because i loose track of time and then get tired from my lack of food.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 07:45:36 AM »

If it's late 80s you left out the animatronics that sing songs.
--DragonmasterDan

MrFulci

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 07:47:31 AM »

The 80's told me to tell you to leave Jeff alone;

jeffhlewis

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 10:04:45 AM »

I blame/thank Showbiz Pizza for my love of video games. It was my only escape when I was 4 years old from those mechanical horror machines.