Author Topic: Duo-R broken CD drive posts  (Read 314 times)

Rosser

Duo-R broken CD drive posts
« on: September 06, 2014, 07:45:28 AM »
Hello all, I just purchased a Duo-R with a nonfunctional CD drive. When I opened it up I noticed that two of the three posts were broken I suspect that someone dropped the system. The one on the far right is completely broken at the pestle the other rear one on the left has about a quarter of an inch left attached.I still have the remanence of both broken posts

Would this definitely cause the cd drive to not function or is in likely something else?
either way I'm trying to brainstorm ways to fix the posts. I'm thinking about using some small screws long enough to sub in for the missing post or some how drilling a tiny hole and place a thin wire in the damage posts and through the pestle to reinforce then glue them to the pestles as I doubt glue alone would be strong enough.

anyone have any other ideas? 

thesteve

Re: Duo-R broken CD drive posts
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 11:05:15 AM »
I have used tooth picks as replacement posts

Rosser

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 12:54:06 PM »
I have used tooth picks as replacement posts
Good idea!
Also was it the cause of the disk not being able to read properly?
I was just wondering how sinstive the drive was

thesteve

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 01:10:14 PM »
its not, should work without the posts

Valkyrie

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 01:15:11 PM »
Go to a hobby store and get yourself some Evergreen brand styrene rods.  Their 0.10" diameter rods are almost the exact right size.  Then drill out the center of the stump they broke off of a bit, so the rod fits neatly inside.  Use a drill bit about the same size as the rod.  Glue rods in place with model cement or super glue.
Easy. :)

thesteve

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 01:19:14 PM »
Nice

Rosser

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 02:47:38 PM »
Go to a hobby store and get yourself some Evergreen brand styrene rods.  Their 0.10" diameter rods are almost the exact right size.  Then drill out the center of the stump they broke off of a bit, so the rod fits neatly inside.  Use a drill bit about the same size as the rod.  Glue rods in place with model cement or super glue.
Easy. :)

Sweet thanks for the tip are you talking about this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Evergreen-Rod-100-5-213-NIB-/331178380321?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item4d1bc50c21

Valkyrie

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 04:53:49 PM »
Sweet thanks for the tip are you talking about this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Evergreen-Rod-100-5-213-NIB-/331178380321?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item4d1bc50c21

That's the one!  That's about what I'd expect to pay in a hobby shop too, without shipping.

Keith Courage

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 07:24:03 AM »
The best thing to do is drill a hole where the post once was and then put a screw in from the underside of the system. There are already holes there underneath so the screw will never be seen. No worry of it ever breaking again since it isn't plastic.

Rosser

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 01:59:30 PM »
The best thing to do is drill a hole where the post once was and then put a screw in from the underside of the system. There are already holes there underneath so the screw will never be seen. No worry of it ever breaking again since it isn't plastic.
Yeah I will do that if they break again, but I picked up some of those Evergreen posts locally and they work perfectly thanks Valkyrie. Also the cd system works not sure if it did before or not as as soon as I received it I opened it up to check things out.