Author Topic: Surge cola is back for sale  (Read 1262 times)

MrFulci

Surge cola is back for sale
« on: September 15, 2014, 08:00:44 AM »
http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/15/news/companies/coca-cola-surge-return/index.html?iid=HP_LN

It's back for sale, 12 packs are for sale on Amazon. $14 USD.

I was never a fan of carbonated sugar water, but I did have a few of them when they were around, including other 90's oddball things, such as Orbitz, Cystal Pepsi, etc.

Surge, that's the one I notice MANY people talk about a lot. Due to High caffeine and such. Preferable to Jolt cola, for some.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Opethian

Re: Surge cola is back for sale
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 08:06:10 AM »
all sold out hah

why don't they bring back Dr. Wham!

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

MrFulci

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 08:08:35 AM »
all sold out hah

why don't they bring back Dr. Wham!

I just ran a search, I'm not familiar with Dr. Wham!, but it shows it is still manufactured and sold in a few places - http://www.buffalorock.com/dr-wham/

*edited to add;

Ah, interesting, saw there was an article on Wikipedia about Dr. Wham, and why it is only in a few places, "...Dr. Wham is sold in Buffalo Rock markets where the company does not have the territorial rights to sell Dr Pepper, including ..."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:10:32 AM by MrFulci »
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Medic_wheat

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 08:54:14 AM »
Never heard of it. 

But if it was suppose to taste like or compete mountain dew blech. I hate that stuff and most likely wouldn't like this stuff.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 09:37:23 AM »
Here comes the countless teenagers claiming that Surge gets them high..

mitsuman

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 09:48:33 AM »
I heard if you huff the fumes as soon as you open a can, they can get you really high...man.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 10:20:11 AM »

Naw they will just mix them with skittles and other stuff just like Martin tray ahhhh something.  :-#

MrFulci

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 11:10:21 AM »
Never heard of it. 

But if it was suppose to taste like or compete mountain dew blech. I hate that stuff and most likely wouldn't like this stuff.

Never heard of it? At one point, in the late 90s, it seemed like it was everyplace.

The taste, from what I recall, was not the same as Mountain Dew. It was more tangy, citrusy.

I also now recall why some people I knew of back then would not drink Mountain Dew, which I think also carried over to Surge. Some teenage rumor that Yellow dye #5 made men sterile, hahahaha.

technozombie

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »
When I was in highschool (around 97) some surge reps came to my school and handed out free bottles. Of course people kept sneeking back and getting more, than the one, they were supposed to. By the end of the day the whole school was bouncing off the walls. And yes, the yellow number 5 teenage rumor was rampant.

MrFulci

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 12:52:59 PM »
When I was in highschool (around 97) some surge reps came to my school and handed out free bottles. Of course people kept sneeking back and getting more, than the one, they were supposed to. By the end of the day the whole school was bouncing off the walls. And yes, the yellow number 5 teenage rumor was rampant.

There was also some promo near where I was at that time, but I think it was at a supermarket. Maybe buy a 12 pack, get a 12 pack free? Maybe they were giving away 12 packs if you got a coupon from the Sunday paper? I forget.

The school thing sounds like something that would happen at that time. I recall when I stopped in a supermarket near a college campus 2 years ago, near the time when students were arriving for the semester. All sorts of free food stuff. I looked young enough, so I guess that's why it was offered to me. I took a free, full size, bag of Utz brand chips.

Interesting to read the yellow #5 thing was common. I knew of people, even if they were thirsty, would not drink Mountain Dew, Surge, or any cola with Yellow #5 in it. Even if you tried talking sense to the person, saying if it were true then..... blah blah blah, etc. Still, some people were 100% against Yellow # 5 in their cola. They heard, from so-and-so, who heard from so-and-so, who had a brother whose friend became impotent/sterile, whatever due to Mountain Dew and Yellow #5.

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »
man, they need to bring back pepsi blue!!!!

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 11:52:59 PM »

There was also some promo near where I was at that time, but I think it was at a supermarket. Maybe buy a 12 pack, get a 12 pack free? Maybe they were giving away 12 packs if you got a coupon from the Sunday paper? I forget.

The school thing sounds like something that would happen at that time. I recall when I stopped in a supermarket near a college campus 2 years ago, near the time when students were arriving for the semester. All sorts of free food stuff. I looked young enough, so I guess that's why it was offered to me. I took a free, full size, bag of Utz brand chips.

Interesting to read the yellow #5 thing was common. I knew of people, even if they were thirsty, would not drink Mountain Dew, Surge, or any cola with Yellow #5 in it. Even if you tried talking sense to the person, saying if it were true then..... blah blah blah, etc. Still, some people were 100% against Yellow # 5 in their cola. They heard, from so-and-so, who heard from so-and-so, who had a brother whose friend became impotent/sterile, whatever due to Mountain Dew and Yellow #5.

You do realize the word "Cola" isn't synonymous with Soda, Carbonated beverage or Pop but is in fact a particular type of Soda right? Mountain Dew and Surge are not Cola's.
--DragonmasterDan

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 02:51:52 AM »
Unless you're in Texas, where all soda is "coke".
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

technozombie

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 04:33:39 AM »
Southeast Texan here can confirm all carbonated drinks are coke. My grandmother though, called everything soda water.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 04:45:27 AM »
Unless you're in Texas, where all soda is "coke".

My grandmother always called it "pop"  or "soda pop" 

That could have been more generational then a Texas thing.