Author Topic: Surge cola is back for sale  (Read 1272 times)

MrFulci

Re: Surge cola is back for sale
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 11:14:47 AM »

There was also some promo near where I was at that time, but I think it was at a supermarket. Maybe buy a 12 pack, get a 12 pack free? Maybe they were giving away 12 packs if you got a coupon from the Sunday paper? I forget.

The school thing sounds like something that would happen at that time. I recall when I stopped in a supermarket near a college campus 2 years ago, near the time when students were arriving for the semester. All sorts of free food stuff. I looked young enough, so I guess that's why it was offered to me. I took a free, full size, bag of Utz brand chips.

Interesting to read the yellow #5 thing was common. I knew of people, even if they were thirsty, would not drink Mountain Dew, Surge, or any cola with Yellow #5 in it. Even if you tried talking sense to the person, saying if it were true then..... blah blah blah, etc. Still, some people were 100% against Yellow # 5 in their cola. They heard, from so-and-so, who heard from so-and-so, who had a brother whose friend became impotent/sterile, whatever due to Mountain Dew and Yellow #5.

You do realize the word "Cola" isn't synonymous with Soda, Carbonated beverage or Pop but is in fact a particular type of Soda right? Mountain Dew and Surge are not Cola's.

I use whatever fits. I sometime say cola, I sometimes say soda. Cola, it may not be factually correct, but people understand. No on ever looks confused, "What's a cola????".

As others have mentioned above me, people call carbonated, flavored, sugar/corn syrup/whatever syrup water different stuff all over. the world, and all over the US, and even within states.

Different dialects and words for stuff all over. Such as why the, Dish "Hopper" commercial is so funny to some people in a certain part of the US, but others don't quite get it :)

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Paddyfitz18

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 02:16:14 PM »
I remember this pop from around the mid-nineties,  called "Lockjaw."  It was around for very long at all.  Probably the 2nd worst name for a drink ever, next to Clamato.

SuperGrafx

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 02:19:20 PM »
Can't say I've ever heard of Surge before.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 02:45:04 AM »
Probably the 2nd worst name for a drink ever, next to Clamato.

Heh, what's wrong with Clamato?  It's a great portmanteau of clam and 'mato juice.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 03:04:38 AM »
I remember this pop from around the mid-nineties,  called "Lockjaw."  It was around for very long at all.  Probably the 2nd worst name for a drink ever, next to Clamato.

2nd worst name for a drink. But the worst possible nick name for a prom date.
--DragonmasterDan

MrFulci

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 03:41:17 AM »

All that comes to mind when I hear, "Lock Jaw", were these sour gumballs that were similar to Atomic Warheads. I don't think they're around anymore, though.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Paddyfitz18

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 04:31:45 AM »
Probably the 2nd worst name for a drink ever, next to Clamato.

Heh, what's wrong with Clamato?  It's a great portmanteau of clam and 'mato juice.

&

Yes, indeed.  :)

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 04:40:12 AM »
all sold out hah

why don't they bring back Dr. Wham!

I drink Dr. Wham every day for lunch at work. :D  Definitely the best Dr Pepper-like substance you can get.
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

johnnymad

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 06:41:38 AM »
Unless you're in Texas, where all soda is "coke".

We call everything coke as well. It's cool they're bringing this drink back though. I still have an unopened can from the 90s. Guess I should have had it VGAed as the value of a sealed drink will go down with the re-release.

MrFulci

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 06:45:20 AM »
I read, some people were looking for old Coke machines (using coke as a brand name, here), in abandoned schools, etc. and if they had surge, breaking into them, taking the surge, and selling them on ebay, since each can could fetch about $100.

Makes some sense. Find a dozen cans in an abandoned machine, $1200.00...

*Edited for Necro;

Suds and Soda!

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:46:55 AM by MrFulci »

johnnymad

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 06:53:17 AM »
all sold out hah

why don't they bring back Dr. Wham!

I drink Dr. Wham every day for lunch at work. :D  Definitely the best Dr Pepper-like substance you can get.

Me and a couple of my friends would try to keep track of all the Dr. Pepper knockoffs. There was Mr. Pibb, Dr. Check, Dr. Thunder and a few others I can't think of right now. Don't remember Dr. Wham being one around here.

MrFulci

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 06:56:13 AM »
Mr. Pibb, I saw it around the DC/MD/VA area. I'd usually see it at rest stops, though. Not so much the local convenience store.

Mishran

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 12:23:38 PM »
I'd like to see a return of Josta. The prelude to energy drinks.

bob

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 01:22:31 PM »
Anybody remember OK soda from the 90s?
I was a "tester" of that for a year before it came out.

Miracle_Warrior

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 01:25:58 PM »

Speaking of terrible names/products, do you guys remember "Bloody Zit" frosters or slurpees?  I think it was Mac's that came out with this flavor and they had the most disgusting commercials I had ever seen.  The campaign died almost as quickly as it started and I have to believe that someone lost their job over it.