Author Topic: Criticisms of Bonk 3  (Read 1449 times)

dallaspattern

Criticisms of Bonk 3
« on: September 19, 2014, 04:41:18 PM »
How did they blow it so badly? The following is a list of things that irk me when I stack it up against the first two.

Jesus, where to begin...

Level 1
Bonk spins too slowly.
Unfulfilling floret sprung jumps.
The music made to indicate you're eating meat.
Unfulfilling bonks of enemies. The sound effect is childish, not crushing like BA.
Being spoonfed like a baby as I'm able to break four boulders at a time.
The pipe bonus stage is dumb.
The sound Bonk makes when he's injured sucks.
Big mode = good idea, bad execution.
The choppy way the elevator opens and closes.
The music in general blows, it's like I'm at a goddamn carnival.
The first boss isn't bad, but in my brain there is a reason I don't like it.
BUT
I like how the crabs pinchers are useful.
The spiderweb is a good trap.
Building smash bonus stage is pretty tight (my reptialian SF2 brain <3's this)

Oh shit, my girlfriend just got home and wants to watch Aliens. Guess that's enough of this for now.

neutopia6

Re: Criticisms of Bonk 3
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 05:01:39 PM »
Ahahaha. XD
I enjoy my Bonk 3, got the first two years ago and loved them, finally snagged a three, doesn't hold as much nostalgia for me but it was more of the same.
I prefer two the most, and I agree, big Bonk wasn't executed as well as he could have been but it was still a good game, to me anyways.

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 05:08:27 PM »
bonk 3 seems like a great game but man, its expensive! it'll be a while before I can get a copy

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 06:06:11 PM »
Stick to the PC Engine version, much cheaper. Why people pay $$$ for the U.S version is beyond me. Unless you are a collectard...

dallaspattern

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 06:09:06 PM »
Ahahaha. XD
I enjoy my Bonk 3, got the first two years ago and loved them, finally snagged a three, doesn't hold as much nostalgia for me but it was more of the same.
I prefer two the most, and I agree, big Bonk wasn't executed as well as he could have been but it was still a good game, to me anyways.

Yeah, to be fair it has zero nostalgia for me too. I was 18 years too late on that one, but pre-internet that game was impossible to find! Ah, the good old days eh?

neutopia6

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 06:12:19 PM »
Actually some guy two hours away was selling off his collection randomly so I snatched it CIB with a Complete in box Valis II, Valis III, Bonk III, Y's Book I and II and Legendary Axe II, that was a great day aha. :p
I've only been collecting for four years, only nostalgia I had was NES, SNES and Genesis until I started collecting.

NightWolve

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 06:35:26 PM »
Bonk III: Bonk's Big Boring Adventure.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 09:24:52 PM »
Jesus, where to begin...

He wouldn't know, probably not the best idea to ask him first or else you'll penniless by the end of the night.

Oh shit, my girlfriend just got home and wants to watch Aliens. Guess that's enough of this for now.

Approval.

esteban

Criticisms of Bonk 3
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 09:51:25 PM »
How did they blow it so badly? The following is a list of things that irk me when I stack it up against the first two.

Jesus, where to begin...

Level 1
Bonk spins too slowly.
Unfulfilling floret sprung jumps.
The music made to indicate you're eating meat.
Unfulfilling bonks of enemies. The sound effect is childish, not crushing like BA.
Being spoonfed like a baby as I'm able to break four boulders at a time.
The pipe bonus stage is dumb.
The sound Bonk makes when he's injured sucks.
Big mode = good idea, bad execution.
The choppy way the elevator opens and closes.
The music in general blows, it's like I'm at a goddamn carnival.
The first boss isn't bad, but in my brain there is a reason I don't like it.
BUT
I like how the crabs pinchers are useful.
The spiderweb is a good trap.
Building smash bonus stage is pretty tight (my reptialian SF2 brain <3's this)

Hahahahahahahahaha. I concur.

I used to totally dismiss Bonk 3...now I have softened, but not because the game is better, but because I have played all the games and THERE WILL NEVER BE ANY MORE.

So, out of desperation for "more bonk" or "more PC Genjin" I have been trying to appreciate Bonk 3.

PERSONALLY, I can't believe the music sucks so bad. At the very least, Bonk 3 should have had decent music. I play some mediocre games JUST FOR L'TUNES.

My daughter and I have had fun playing Bonk 3...no other Bonk offers co-op...but average (if I'm generous) co-op is not enough to salvage this game.

Oh well.

UPDATE: I know lots of folks think Bonk 2 is superior to Bonk 1. I felt the same way when it was released. HOWEVER, if you go back to Bonk 1, well, IT IS STILL A SOLID GAME. It is a satisfying experience. Basic, but satisfying. Bonk 3 lacks this.

FINAL: I don't hate Bonk 3. It's just so goddamn ANTI-CLIMATIC.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:57:37 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

dallaspattern

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 04:45:34 PM »
Dude, Bonk 1 is super solid. It set a great tone for the series. There are things I like about it more than B2. In fact, I don't know if I prefer one over the other. It's like choosing your favourite kid and all that!

BONK 3: Unsatisfying, like a bad poop.

madboom0522

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 05:18:08 PM »
Try playing super bonk for Snes.... It is a very different animal.... Bonk cd is pretty well poop as well....
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 05:20:15 PM by madboom0522 »
Titles to complete... Caught them all....

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 05:18:54 PM »
Dude, Bonk 1 is super solid. It set a great tone for the series. There are things I like about it more than B2. In fact, I don't know if I prefer one over the other. It's like choosing your favourite kid and all that!

BONK 3: Unsatisfying, like a bad poop.

neber played bonk 3 so I cant say but ill get to test it out on the everdrive im getting soon so we will see.

Mzo

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 06:00:55 PM »
The original Bonk is still the best.  2 had better presentation but not better gameplay and definitely not better bosses.  3 is actually a bad game =[

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 06:45:43 PM »
The original Bonk is still the best.  2 had better presentation but not better gameplay and definitely not better bosses.  3 is actually a bad game =[

well it sucks to hear that since bonk 3 goes for so much. I wonder the differences between bonk 3 hucard and bonk 3 cd besides the audio differences? any differences in gameplay? stages? enemies?

imparanoic

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 09:29:17 PM »
bonk 2/ pc genjin 2 is obviously the best, bonk 3/ pc genjin 3 seems to be more of a technical demo.

bonk 1 was ok, they improved it in the Japanese remake  pc genjin for ps2 or gamecube