Author Topic: Pc Engine collections  (Read 6698 times)

Tatsujin

Re: Pc Engine collections
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2007, 03:40:10 PM »
Hey Tatsujin! What is the official title for the Giger piece used as coverart for Necromancer? I was trying to find the title, but I haven't gotten close (I wasn't able to find a lot of images, outside of Giger's most popular stuff).
Yes! I've been wanting to know this for like the past year as well!

sorry guys, no idea what's the name of it. but saw it once in an artbook i was leafing through in a bookstore back in swiss.

the sign-story:
when i handed over the game to mr. giger for signing it, he took it, investigated it and ask me "what kind of strange thing is that? i can't remember i ever did anything for such kind of business recently". then i refered to the date when the game was made. so he respond "oh, i see, i must have totally forgot about that, haha".

after he signed the manual, suddenly i had probably the best idea ever im my life. i liked to get a signed HuCard as well, and were a HuCard can be signed the best? haha!

but..

when he took the HuCard in his hand he respond "what shit piece of plastic is that? that's really unappealing to me, therefore i do not like to sign it, sorry!" :(

may be i should send him a copy of necromancer to his adress so he can exibit it in his museum in swiss (Gruyère) ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 05:15:58 PM by Tatsujin »
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

esteban

« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2007, 05:12:39 PM »
Hey Tatsujin! What is the official title for the Giger piece used as coverart for Necromancer? I was trying to find the title, but I haven't gotten close (I wasn't able to find a lot of images, outside of Giger's most popular stuff).
Yes! I've been wanting to know this for like the past year as well!

sorry guys, no idea what's the name of it. but saw it once in an artbook i was leafing through in a bookstore back in swiss.

the sign-story:
when i handed over the game to mr. giger for signing it, he took it, investigated it and ask me "what kind of strange thing is that? i can't remember i ever did anything for such kind of business recently". then i refered to the date when the game was made. so he respond "oh, i see, i must have totally forget about that, haha".

after he signed the manual, suddenly i had probably the best idea ever im my life. i liked to get a signed HuCard as well, and were a HuCard can be signed the best? haha!

but..

when he took the HuCard in his hand he respond "what shit piece of plastic is that? that's really unappealing to me, therefore i do not like to sign it, sorry!" :(

may be i should send him a copy of necromancer to his adress so he can exibit it in his museum in swiss (Gruyère) ;)
Hey, thanks for all the info -- great story!

It's a shame he didn't sign the HuCard, but his reasoning for not signing it is certainly entertaining.

I am glad that you saw the Necromancer coverart in one of his books, that means that I will be able to find the title relatively easily (well, if my friend helps me, anyway).

Do you remember what year you saw it? This would help me eliminate any book / collection that has been published since then.

I think it would be awesome to send Giger a HuCard for the museum. I don't think it has been widely documented at Giger fansites.
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2007, 05:26:49 PM »
Haha, oh man that story is great but what a sad ending!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Tatsujin

« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2007, 05:38:53 PM »
huh..sorry but totally can't remember which artbook it was nor from which era it is. just leafed through some books which were lying around in the book store once.

but since the artwork is now at least 20years old, it may be could be found in one of his earlier (mid-era) books. but most pobably it could be in his book Necronomicon (ISBN 3855910197), since it only handles about this theme.

or how to send a copy of the cover to the email on the offical page and ask for it? :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Turbo D

« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2007, 05:48:33 PM »
haha, cool story

Tatsujin

« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2007, 07:31:21 PM »
there is an other story when Giger once game to our town for signing books and goods. it was about in the year 1993, at the time when Alien 3 came out for the SFC/SNES. coz my friend didn't have any stuff from Giger to sign, he decided to let him sign a german video game magazine (called "Video Games"), which a picture of Alien 3 was shown on the front page.

after my friend gave it to Giger, he was leafing throug the mag and saw the ingame pictures, after a few seconds he shaked his head and said:"what in god's name those people just do with my creatures nowadays??" then he signed the title page and gave it back to my friend.

haha
www.pcedaisakusen.net

esteban

« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2007, 02:25:30 AM »
there is an other story when Giger once game to our town for signing books and goods. it was about in the year 1993, at the time when Alien 3 came out for the SFC/SNES. coz my friend didn't have any stuff from Giger to sign, he decided to let him sign a german video game magazine (called "Video Games"), which a picture of Alien 3 was shown on the front page.

after my friend gave it to Giger, he was leafing throug the mag and saw the ingame pictures, after a few seconds he shaked his head and said:"what in god's name those people just do with my creatures nowadays??" then he signed the title page and gave it back to my friend.

haha
It must be pretty crazy for him to see how much his work has entered pop art / pop culture. I imagine that from his perspective, his work has been diluted and cheapened and exploited.

Personally, I'd love to reach a point where I could lament the fact that people were bastardizing my art! :)

And, Tatsujin, I think you had a great idea: I should send the Necromancer coverart to a Giger fansite and ask them to identify it for me. Thanks!
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2007, 09:15:20 AM »

haha
Hahaha, thanks for sharing another great story! I guess Giger really doesn't like his works to be related to video games!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Tatsujin

« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2007, 01:33:35 PM »
i think he's just done with all those who wants to make cash with his creations after and after again, and sometime i believe, even without his notice and agreements. may be giger's advocacy wasn't the best back in the days. after the production of species 1 was done, he also abandon any connections to hollywood. too many times he's gotten disappointed by those who think they can make it better than himself or didn't let him work as he'd liked to do.
www.pcedaisakusen.net

GUTS

« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2007, 02:16:27 PM »
Giger sounds cool as shit, except for dissing on hucards.  It must be awesome to have created basically the most iconic movie creature of all time.

TR0N

« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2007, 02:23:32 PM »
i think he's just done with all those who wants to make cash with his creations after and after again, and sometime i believe, even without his notice and agreements. may be giger's advocacy wasn't the best back in the days. after the production of species 1 was done, he also abandon any connections to hollywood. too many times he's gotten disappointed by those who think they can make it better than himself or didn't let him work as he'd liked to do.
Kind of a shame realy, but i don't blame him it's not fun... when you don't have controll over what you create.

When.. i was watching the behind scenes disc for alien 3 from the alien quadrilogy boxset.

Giger made the comment that he was disapointed.That the studio didn't realy work with, him on how design went for the alien in alien 3.

Still fox has done it's job by runining the alien serise all ready  :P
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 05:54:41 PM by <TRON> »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Tatsujin

« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2007, 04:56:55 PM »
the problem is, that all his job-oriented works and its rights where given away to its client (e.g Alien to FOX), therefore they can do with those creatures what they want and how long they want (e.g. > figures, video games, merchandise and and and), without needing to ask or even pay something to its creator (ok, i'm not aware of the exact contract terms, but i think it works kind like that).
that's/was may be his problem of how to manage business, but in the other hand it was his own desicion as well as the big chance to earn the glory, back then and still today.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 05:59:54 PM by Tatsujin »
www.pcedaisakusen.net

ApolloBoy

« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2007, 11:15:29 PM »
A list of my small PCE/TG-16 collection:

*Region modded PC Engine Duo (thanks D-Lite!)
*TG-16 (in the process of selling this since it's now redundant)
*Alien Crush (TG-16)
*Bloody Wolf (TG-16)
*Bonk's Adventure
*Bonk's Revenge
*Davis Cup Tennis (SCD)
*F-1 Circus
*Final Lap Twin (TG-16)
*JJ & Jeff
*Keith Courage in Alpha Zones
*Legendary Axe
*Ninja Spirit
*R-Type
*Sidearms (TG-16)
*Space Harrier (TG-16)
*Vigilante (TG-16)
*World Class Baseball
Quote from: Arkhan
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"

Turbo D

« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2007, 11:30:01 PM »
Nice collection  :)

Keranu

« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2007, 09:28:40 AM »
A list of my small PCE/TG-16 collection:

*Region modded PC Engine Duo (thanks D-Lite!)
*TG-16 (in the process of selling this since it's now redundant)
*Alien Crush (TG-16)
*Bloody Wolf (TG-16)
*Bonk's Adventure
*Bonk's Revenge
*Davis Cup Tennis (SCD)
*F-1 Circus
*Final Lap Twin (TG-16)
*JJ & Jeff
*Keith Courage in Alpha Zones
*Legendary Axe
*Ninja Spirit
*R-Type
*Sidearms (TG-16)
*Space Harrier (TG-16)
*Vigilante (TG-16)
*World Class Baseball
Nice start, very TG16-ish, which is a good thing in my opinion. I love those early TG16 games.