Author Topic: Pc Engine collections  (Read 6702 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Pc Engine collections
« Reply #180 on: October 24, 2007, 06:03:22 PM »
I love my flatscreen CRT.  :clap: But are there any equal, high quality LCDs that won't have that blur/wave effect?

The response times have been greatly improved, and new sets are coming on the market with 120hz refresh rates to reduce motion blur.  I still don't think that any of these sets will equal a quality CRT, but they're getting close.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

OldTurboBastard

« Reply #181 on: November 03, 2007, 03:52:41 AM »
because LCDs don't fit with the PC Engine. there is no fun to play pc engine games on such a devices! CRTs for ever in our retro-hearts!!

makes sense. Things do look a little blocky on my LCD monitor, while interlace mode just looks "artificially blurred"
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

ceti alpha

« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2007, 04:40:14 AM »
A friend of mine recently bought a super computer with a really sweet LCD. It's crystal clear. You just have to be willing to fork out the coin right now for the good ones I guess.  :)

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Black Tiger

« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2007, 08:11:12 AM »
The main problem with retro consoles on HDTV's isn't refresh rates, its that they upscale the low res signals in ugly ways. I don't know if a HD CRT would have the same problem.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Tatsujin

« Reply #184 on: February 11, 2008, 02:35:01 AM »
here an update after cleaning up today:

:)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

ceti alpha

« Reply #185 on: February 11, 2008, 02:40:48 AM »
That is absolutely incredible. Nice and neat and pleasing to the eye.  8)

It certainly serves as a reminder for how far I have to go before I get to where you are. lol  #-o But that's the fun in collecting.  :)

FM-77

« Reply #186 on: February 11, 2008, 03:03:13 AM »
I love my flatscreen CRT.  :clap: But are there any equal, high quality LCDs that won't have that blur/wave effect?

The response times have been greatly improved, and new sets are coming on the market with 120hz refresh rates to reduce motion blur.  I still don't think that any of these sets will equal a quality CRT, but they're getting close.

There's no such thing has "Hz" on lcd/plasma displays. They don't work that way.

And for picture quality, lcd is the absolute best way to go. A crt can never look as sharp.

nat

« Reply #187 on: February 11, 2008, 03:19:20 AM »

And for picture quality, lcd is the absolute best way to go. A crt can never look as sharp.

Yeah, but as another user mentioned, when dealing with retro consoles you get unpredictable results when the set upscales the lower-res video output from the console. Usually the side effects are ugly. I found this out the hard way with my Dreamcast.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: February 11, 2008, 03:20:27 AM »
There's no such thing has "Hz" on lcd/plasma displays. They don't work that way.

You know not of what you speak - do some research before trolling.  All LCDs change their image at a specific rate, usually 60 cycles per second with newer models at 120 cycles.  Your idea of picture quality is rather narrow, as LCDs excel only in sharpness and brightness.  They are inferior to a quality CRT for color rendition, contrast, viewing angles, response times, and the ability to display differing screen resolutions.  Admittedly, my point is somewhat moot, as quality CRTs are as rare as hen's teeth these days (new ones, anyway).

ceti alpha

« Reply #189 on: February 11, 2008, 04:31:33 AM »
Your idea of picture quality is rather narrow, as LCDs excel only in sharpness and brightness.  They are inferior to a quality CRT for color rendition, contrast, viewing angles, response times, and the ability to display differing screen resolutions.  Admittedly, my point is somewhat moot, as quality CRTs are as rare as hen's teeth these days (new ones, anyway).

I have to agree Necro. I love my CRT. None of my other friends' LCDs match the clarity and resolution of my CRT. I do not suggest playing Armagetron Advanced with a low to medium grade LCD. The blur and image trailing makes the game virtually unplayable.

spenoza

« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2008, 01:25:42 PM »
You know not of what you speak - do some research before trolling.  All LCDs change their image at a specific rate, usually 60 cycles per second with newer models at 120 cycles.  Your idea of picture quality is rather narrow, as LCDs excel only in sharpness and brightness.  They are inferior to a quality CRT for color rendition, contrast, viewing angles, response times, and the ability to display differing screen resolutions.  Admittedly, my point is somewhat moot, as quality CRTs are as rare as hen's teeth these days (new ones, anyway).

He has a point. Refresh rate on an LCD operates a bit differently than refresh rate on a CRT monitor. Yes, it's how often the image is updated, but the manner in which the image is updated can play a big role, and LCDs update much differently from CRTs. Also, only modern LCDs excel at brightness. LCDs always used to have a reputation for being dim. Thankfully, those days are largely behind us (except in cheap laptops). Further, LCDs are extremely sharp at their native resolution, but when they are displaying a non-optimal resolution LCD image quality often appears blurry compared to other screens.

I would say that watching non-HD video on an LCD HD screen, for example, is a somewhat disappointing experience. This includes, of course, classic video games.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Tatsujin

« Reply #191 on: March 06, 2008, 11:25:25 PM »
bazaaru goodies update :)

got all the goodies they had at the NEC booth from this years security show :dance:

- keitai strap
- USB keitai charger
- IC-card holder

uressi~~!! ^^
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: March 07, 2008, 02:08:47 AM »
bazaaru goodies update :)

Awesome!  :clap:

P.S. - What's the purple colored CD-ROM above Bazaaru de Gozaaru?

ceti alpha

« Reply #193 on: March 07, 2008, 03:13:57 AM »
got all the goodies they had at the NEC booth from this years security show Dancing

ME WANT! ME WANT!  =P~

That's awesome tats. Nice grab!  :clap:

Nintega Turbine Trio-CBS

« Reply #194 on: March 09, 2008, 10:04:58 AM »
0__________0 at the insane collections some of you have!  :shock:

As of now I only own 15 HuCard games

Gunhed
Super Star Soldier
Final Soldier
Soldier Blade