Author Topic: PC Engine Memories: Best Of Japan box set...  (Read 5362 times)

HailingTheThings

Re: PC Engine Memories: Best Of Japan box set...
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2014, 04:06:14 PM »
You ruined the surprise. lol

Said he's gonna release a Dynastic Hero with a lenticular 3D cover depicting a giant penis eating, you guessed it, another penis. For Germany!

Ohhhhhhhhh.... so that's what a Dynastic Hero is. :shock:

It was originally titled "Dillnastic Hurtered" but was changed due to obvious reasons or so I am told.

InfraMan

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2014, 04:26:02 PM »

It was originally titled "Dillnastic Hurtered" but was changed due to obvious reasons or so I am told.

HAAA! I would totally not be surprised at all if this actually existed. Because Cho Aniki.

And just to post something remotely on-topic (pfft!), I did order one of these sets. I figure less than $40 each for these four games isn't too bad, given how much the real ones go for.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2014, 10:34:33 PM »

HAAA! I would totally not be surprised at all if this actually existed. Because Cho Aniki.

And just to post something remotely on-topic (pfft!), I did order one of these sets. I figure less than $40 each for these four games isn't too bad, given how much the real ones go for.

lol

I'm totes ordering one soon.

reson8er

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2014, 03:40:56 AM »
I purchased the Sapphire/Mega Man/Fantasy Zone set from him a while back, and quite frankly am happy for doing so. As I see it, he is bringing the experience of owning the game and playing the game  to people who cannot afford to pay hundreds of dollars per game. I understand that the cost is a bit inflated for a reproduction, but you can clearly see the attention to detail and attempt to replicate the original (maybe to a fault) and understand that its no small effort to get all this done.

As much as  I love the Turbo/PCE its just not realistic to expect to own these games in the current eBay collectors climate.

I will not be purchasing this set as I already own Kaze Kiri, but if he puts them up individually I'll certainly go for 1 or 2.

Black Tiger

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2014, 08:07:54 AM »
I purchased the Sapphire/Mega Man/Fantasy Zone set from him a while back, and quite frankly am happy for doing so. As I see it, he is bringing the experience of owning the game and playing the game  to people who cannot afford to pay hundreds of dollars per game. I understand that the cost is a bit inflated for a reproduction, but you can clearly see the attention to detail and attempt to replicate the original (maybe to a fault) and understand that its no small effort to get all this done.

As much as  I love the Turbo/PCE its just not realistic to expect to own these games in the current eBay collectors climate.

I will not be purchasing this set as I already own Kaze Kiri, but if he puts them up individually I'll certainly go for 1 or 2.

It was also no small effort for tomaitheus to get Mega Man running on PC Engine, before the animeforever guy snagged it and started selling repros without contacting him.

I understand that the cost of a donation to his site may feel inconvenient for an NES-to-PCE reproduction that you can take for free, but you can clearly see Tom's attention to detail and attempt to replicate the original NES game (maybe to a fault) and understand that its no small effort to get all this done.

All the repro guy did was spend $3 - $5 a copy to physically publish tomaitheus' work, built off of the work of everyone who contributed to the original game and sources of the packaging assets, and then sold them for $70 - $100+ each.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Trenton_net

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2014, 10:14:14 AM »
Speaking of repos, does anyone know if the repo of Sapphire has hurt or helped the market for real copies of the game? Are they just as expensive/sought after these days? Or are most people just happy with the repo?

Arjak

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2014, 11:06:10 AM »
Can't wait until there's US repro CD games. hahahahahahahahahahaaaahhhhaahahahahaha eff

I would totally buy pressed reproductions of rare USA Turbo CD titles. With prices the way they are, I would feel no guilt whatsoever owning a "fake" copy. I would feel much more guilt paying hundreds of dollars for a "real" copy.

That's kinda sad, in a way.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Otaking

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2014, 11:19:33 AM »
Speaking of repos, does anyone know if the repo of Sapphire has hurt or helped the market for real copies of the game? Are they just as expensive/sought after these days? Or are most people just happy with the repo?
The bootleg has not affected the price of original copies which have stayed at about the same.
I wouldn't have guessed this, I would of thought it would of affected the price, but I guess looking at Neo Geo AES games they haven't lost their value and they're ridden with fake carts.

SamIAm

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2014, 01:07:55 PM »
Two thoughts

1. This guy is obviously getting away with what he's doing. He also seems to be an a$$hole for a number of reasons. Wouldn't it be nice if someone in this community with the know-how and the equipment made their own bootlegs and sold them at 1/3 the price that this guy is?

2. If and when I finish any translation projects - currently Xanadu II, Spriggan Mark 2 and Anearth Fantasy Stories are in the pipeline - I will be really pissed if this guy makes and sells bootlegs of them. It's enough that I actually kind of don't want to translate the manuals just because I don't want to give him that resource.

esteban

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2014, 01:32:57 PM »

Two thoughts

1. This guy is obviously getting away with what he's doing. He also seems to be an a$$hole for a number of reasons. Wouldn't it be nice if someone in this community with the know-how and the equipment made their own bootlegs and sold them at 1/3 the price that this guy is?

2. If and when I finish any translation projects - currently Xanadu II, Spriggan Mark 2 and Anearth Fantasy Stories are in the pipeline - I will be really pissed if this guy makes and sells bootlegs of them. It's enough that I actually kind of don't want to translate the manuals just because I don't want to give him that resource.

Exactly (x2)
  |    | 

Mathius

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2014, 01:50:40 PM »
I think Necro had a thread a few years ago talking about getting the ball rolling on boots and translations. This should really be happening in the community I agree.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

SamIAm

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2014, 02:32:10 PM »
I'm really not opposed to someone making a little profit from this given the time, trouble and overhead it takes to do it. That's why even if a bootleg only costs $3-5 to produce, I'd still gladly pay $10-20. This guy, however, is just trying to make as much money as possible, and given the circumstances I find that very repugnant.

Furthermore, what he did with Bonknut's Mega Man is unforgivable, IMO, and for that reason alone I will simply never give him my money no matter what he offers.

Trenton_net

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2014, 03:13:16 AM »
I agree. The more I think about it, the less appealing it sounds to go in on this offer. Non of the games in this package are considered "rare" since all you need is money and you can get any of them instantly. It's not like comparing a game like Bazaru which hardly shows up for sale even if you had money (IMHO).

I also think that in the grand scheme of things, $200-$300 for a game isn't too bad. A few trades here and there or cutting back on your mass buying for a bit will cover the cost just fine. In the end, I think I'd rather own the real copies than the fakes.

reson8er

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2014, 03:52:01 AM »

It was also no small effort for tomaitheus to get Mega Man running on PC Engine, before the animeforever guy snagged it and started selling repros without contacting him.

I understand that the cost of a donation to his site may feel inconvenient for an NES-to-PCE reproduction that you can take for free, but you can clearly see Tom's attention to detail and attempt to replicate the original NES game (maybe to a fault) and understand that its no small effort to get all this done.

All the repro guy did was spend $3 - $5 a copy to physically publish tomaitheus' work, built off of the work of everyone who contributed to the original game and sources of the packaging assets, and then sold them for $70 - $100+ each.

I honestly had no idea of any of that before reading this post. Had I known, I would not have contributed to them getting money for someone elses hard work.  What the repro guy should have done is 1. asked for permission and 2. Share in the sales if he received the permission.

Mathius

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2014, 01:21:32 PM »
Definitely a douchy move stealing Bonknuts' Megaman port. On the other hand, I feel the Sapphire boot gave the non-rich a method of playing the game on real hardware with a pressed disc. Now with the tracking number fiasco these guys are throwing themselves off balance into douchy dingleberry territory. I won't lie-I feel bad about throwing money at these guys. But I am excited to play Sylphia. I haven't ever played it before.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406