Author Topic: PC Engine Memories: Best Of Japan box set...  (Read 5340 times)

BlueBMW

Re: PC Engine Memories: Best Of Japan box set...
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2014, 07:45:19 PM »
The ultimate problem with making repros etc is that whoever does it is subjecting themselves to possible legal problems.  Even though this stuff is old the IP is still owned by someone.  When you start making money off of counterfeit / repro goods there's always a lawyer ready to put the hammer down.  If someone is willing to take the chance... great but it does make it harder to do a group driven project of sorts.  Too much attention to a project can result in the aforementioned problems.

Not trying to crap on the idea, but just reminding people to keep in mind the full implications of what is being suggested.  From what I hear Konami is a bitch when it comes to IP violations and since they own what's left of Hudson (RIP) I suspect there could be problems.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

SamIAm

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2014, 08:29:05 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't try to make a repro of Dracula X, that's for sure.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if most pressing plants in the US would turn down the project.

The real challenge would be finding a pressing plant with just the right amount of unscrupulousness, and setting up distribution that is down-low enough not to attract the wrong kind of attention, but visible enough to get buyers. After all, if you can't sell at least several hundred of each disc, it's probably not worth it.

If I were doing this, I might start with Cotton US. Success probably wouldn't put up a fight over that one. The Hudson games...who knows? 

Black Tiger

« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2014, 01:05:55 AM »
There have been attempts at organizing this before and even with the prospect of charging forum members as little as $5 a disc, there has always been a bunch of people against it. Which is why I'm baffled that there's little negativity and lots of defenders of animeforever in threads like this. Maybe it was because Turbo titles were suggested before and sone people were afraid if hurting their investments.

The last time Necromancer tried to organize one, people voted for Space Fantasy Zone, which animeforever already reproed. It got stalled by the attempt to add original music to it, which unfortunately was sound very un-Fantasy Zone and un-Space Harrier.

I think that games like Cotton and Godzilla should be the last pricey Turbo CD games to get this treatment, as they already have perfectly playable PCE versions at down to earth prices. Games like Dynastic Hero, M&MIII and Beyond Shadowgate make the most sense as far as game playing goes.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

pixeljunkie

« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2014, 03:10:00 AM »
scanning and retouching all the art and design would be a tremendous amount of work. And, I imagine, why people like PCE works charge what they do. It's easy to dismiss as a shitty bootleg but reproducing all the art/packaging takes work.

I think it's possible for a community-driven project that someone might donate all that time to, in terms of the design work involved. but I think people just don't realize how much work actually goes into something like that. Regardless of your view on it.

Otaking

« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2014, 04:10:09 AM »
I think it's extremely unlikely Konami or any other owners of the original IP would take action if any fan made small print run of games were done, it's far too small to warrant their time and energy to take legal action. For example look at all the fan made SNES repro carts that have been done for fan translations and unreleased games. Nintendo didn't take any legal action with those and they're the most notorious company for doing so.

pixeljunkie

« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2014, 04:31:51 AM »
I think it's extremely unlikely Konami or any other owners of the original IP would take action if any fan made small print run of games were done, it's far too small to warrant their time and energy to take legal action. For example look at all the fan made SNES repro carts that have been done for fan translations and unreleased games. Nintendo didn't take any legal action with those and they're the most notorious company for doing so.

it all depends on if/which media outlets pick it up as a story. If Kotaku spews some garbage about it, here comes the cease and desist. If it stayed low to the ground, you are right.

Black Tiger

« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2014, 04:52:47 AM »

Except for when Konami has threatened legal action in the past against people distributing Drac X or even talking about it.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

InfraMan

« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2014, 05:38:09 AM »
Woot, the mail guy just delivered my PC Engine Memories set! :dance:

I am very impressed with the quality... well worth the ~$150, in my (not at all expert) opinion. I couldn't tell an obvious difference from the real thing from the outside, but the back of each manual has "PC Engine Memories" prominently displayed, so there's no mistaking THAT for the original, lol.

Also, I don't know about the others yet, but I took a quick look at the Sylphia disc compared to the ones listed on eBay, and the little Compact Disc/Super CD-ROM2 icons on the right side are slightly different.

Anyhoo, iffy morality questions aside, I'm very happy with my purchase... now it's time to finally play some Sylphia!

KingDrool

« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2014, 05:53:14 AM »
I think it's extremely unlikely Konami or any other owners of the original IP would take action if any fan made small print run of games were done, it's far too small to warrant their time and energy to take legal action.

Famous last words...
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

schweaty

« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2014, 07:41:22 AM »
so Sylphia and Kaze Kiri I know and have played.  Not familiar with Renny Blaster and Fausette Amour, but the gameplay footage I have seen has not left me impressed.  What am I missing here (other than "rarity")?  Seems like a lot of money to outlay for pretty mediocre gameplay.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2014, 08:27:57 AM »
Like all exorbitantly priced games, their value is based upon rarity (real or perceived) and has very little to do with game play value.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ultrageranium

« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2014, 08:38:33 AM »
My original post was not so much a naive call to take illegal action and start making counterfeit products, rather turn the understandable frustration shared in this thread into a more positive discussion about the possibility of doing this sort of things as a group.

Certainly my sum-up was a simplified overview of what could be possible, however I do believe that a handful of people using the right tools and working with the right sources would be able to produce quality repros at completely affordable price. It might not be a 1:1 repros, but I seriously doubt the "professional" CD repros out there are using the exact same paper, color calibration, silk screen process as the originals and compared next to each others might well be easily distinguishable.

As for the IP issue, this is of course a tricky one, while it is certainly not a valid legal protection, it is obvious that a very short run of repros distributed in an ad-hoc way and produced at cost, is not quite the same as making a dedicated website with a shopping cart and selling products with a margin, or making a port for a mobile app store or Steam-like platform. I doubt mainstream geeky media would pick up on something so low-key as a few hundreds repros from a PCE game nobody cares about but a handful of obeying nerds. But it is true that's still playing with fire.

I wonder what would happen if one tries to contact the IP owner of ${FAV_GAME} to discuss the possibility of a very limited pseudo licensing option.

schweaty

« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2014, 10:34:35 AM »
Like all exorbitantly priced games, their value is based upon rarity (real or perceived) and has very little to do with game play value.

got it.  i was starting question my own taste in games.  i only buy games i like and will play (repeatedly).  i had no problem with the sapphire booty because it rocks, but i will be passing on this set.  if they decide to sell sylphia and kaze kiri separately, i will probably pick them up.

Mathius

« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2014, 12:15:43 PM »
I have been intrigued with these four games for years and being able to finally play them on real hardware finally swayed me. I'm poor and I don't trust my knowledge of proper CD-R usage in NEC CD drives. The variation differences interests me too but that appears to be taken care of by other members currently. It's not like I could have contributed much to that seeing as I don't own the originals hehe.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Sadler

« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2014, 09:34:49 AM »
Got mine today! :D 10 of 100 apparently.