Author Topic: PC Engine Memories: Best Of Japan box set...  (Read 5317 times)

esteban

Re: PC Engine Memories: Best Of Japan box set...
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2014, 09:15:25 PM »

On one hand, I find it a little asinine when someone is reviewing a game and they say something like "It's not worth $30". Do you think it's worth $20? If $30 is as valuable to me as $20 is to you, should I get it? If I enjoy the game 50% more than you, should I get it? These subjective factors make the statement useless, and a time-wasting distraction from the rest of the review.

However, on the other hand, in extreme situations where the price is sky-high and the game totally blows, it makes plenty of sense. It's hard to draw a line, but $400 is a considerable chunk of change for most people. If you simply think the game isn't fun, there's probably not much harm in pointing out that the price is reason enough to avoid it.

Well-said.

I can't put it any clearer than you did, except to add that the reviewer should discuss "cost of ownership" in a separate section at end of review (separate from the actual review).

"Cost of ownership" should not be a thread running through a review.

|    | 

schweaty

« Reply #136 on: October 11, 2014, 02:45:47 AM »
It isn't worth $400.

Just gonna leave this here, for those who may not be aware of it: http://insomnia.ac/commentary/on_value_for_money/

this is re-seller/dealer propaganda.  it's the standard line everyone trying to sell anything at an outrageous mark-up tries to use.  "it may not be worth it to you, but it might be to someone else" really means "99.9% of you aren't stupid enough to pay this, but I'm waiting for that .1% moron to walk through that door." 

I believe that when most people say "it isnt worth the money" what they are really saying is "from a strictly gameplay standpoint, there just isnt enough game there to justify the expenditure".  a collector may be willing to overlook a bad game just for the rarety/collectibility of a game, but i dont care about them.  this is a TG16/PCE GAMERS forum, not a collectors forum.  Collectors and their subjective definitions of "worth" can go somewhere else.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 03:34:54 AM by schweaty »

whisper2053

« Reply #137 on: October 11, 2014, 04:28:08 AM »
It isn't worth $400.

Just gonna leave this here, for those who may not be aware of it: http://insomnia.ac/commentary/on_value_for_money/

this is re-seller/dealer propaganda.  it's the standard line everyone trying to sell anything at an outrageous mark-up tries to use.  "it may not be worth it to you, but it might be to someone else" really means "99.9% of you aren't stupid enough to pay this, but I'm waiting for that .1% moron to walk through that door." 

I believe that when most people say "it isnt worth the money" what they are really saying is "from a strictly gameplay standpoint, there just isnt enough game there to justify the expenditure".  a collector may be willing to overlook a bad game just for the rarety/collectibility of a game, but i dont care about them.  this is a TG16/PCE GAMERS forum, not a collectors forum.  Collectors and their subjective definitions of "worth" can go somewhere else.

*looks for like button, can't find one...agrees totally*

Black Tiger

« Reply #138 on: October 11, 2014, 04:30:47 AM »
If a game regularly sells for an aporopriately low or reasonable price, then that is what it is worth paying for it as a buyer and player. Even if at the same time idiots regularly hit Buy it Now on listings ten times higher, it isn't worth the top end price. That is just immoral gougers preying on the ignorant, which is unfortunately the majority of oraganized "collectors" who define their "hobby" by  what they learn from others. Even though losers regularly argue that the top end is "fair market value", all they're really saying is that sellers can legally get away with it and that is the the entirety of their moral compass. The only thing worse is the collecting enthusiasts who aren't fulltime resellers, yet cheer them on from the sidelines and spend all their time in game enthusiast forums like this on market talk and trying to convert the rest of us so that prices can sky rocket completely out of control.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Lochlan

« Reply #139 on: October 11, 2014, 09:16:13 AM »
Even though losers regularly argue that the top end is "fair market value"

I hope you aren't talking about me here.  I was just posting a link and throwing in my $0.02 about the relevance of saying what a game is "worth" (financially) in the first place, I wasn't making any direct statement about the value of Renny Blaster, which I have not even played.

this is re-seller/dealer propaganda

I'm weirdly flattered to be called a propagandist, it feels like a sign that my argument seems convincing to the unconvinced.  FWIW my position, just speaking personally, is more that of the "moron" you refer to in your post rather than the boogeyman gouger.

this is a TG16/PCE GAMERS forum, not a collectors forum

Are you making value judgements about me?  It's not clear from the context, maybe you are just speaking generally?  I have a vast collection that I play regularly, and I'm also a PCE developer.  I think the whole collector/gamer dichotomy is a little misguided myself, my thoughts about that are here if you're curious (although I suspect you will disagree with me given the tone of your reply!!): https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=17248.msg357769#msg357769
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 09:23:44 AM by Lochlan »
I'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #140 on: October 11, 2014, 10:36:38 AM »
I wasn't making any direct statement about the value of Renny Blaster, which I have not even played.

You should really check it out.

*catface*

pixeljunkie

« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2014, 10:45:44 AM »
I think in this case, everyone is right. Because it boils down to just that: opinion. I think in any market connected to a "hobby" you deal with this. There will always be artificial market inflation thanks to scumbags looking to cash in or flip. It frustrates everyone, including the people that only collect. But especially hurts those of us that want to play these games.

True, we could play teh roms all day. But for many of us [speaking of myself especially] I am acquiring games I wanted when I was in high school but couldn't afford. [see: Die Hard Gamefan ads with tons of import screenshots] I am buying the real thing to play because I get an emotional connection from touching and experiencing "the real thing". I realize its purely a nostalgic connection, but it is what it is and I don't get that from roms.

Something like these bootlegs manages to do a couple of things:

1. tickles my fancy of getting to play physical copies of these games that I can't afford or won't buy [in this case Sylphia being the only one I can't justify dropping $300+ on]

2. buying something brand new that's PC Engine related. Be it official or not. It's fun. I get a colorful new package in the mail to unwrap and look at.

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about morons who pay inflated prices because they are impatient or ignorant. It has zero to do with value/gameplay in these instances. In my opinion it is just an unfortunate side effect of living in the time we are in with internet, ebay, etc. Its only going to get worse.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2014, 04:39:46 AM »

Bullshit; most everyone here is a collector, at least in part.  If all we cared about were playing games, we'd have nothing but an everdrive and a pile of CDRs.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Otaking

« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2014, 03:07:03 AM »
Happy Console Gamer has just uploaded a new video about this box set.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2014, 06:15:41 AM »
Pressed is nice, but I don't like how he charges an arm and a leg for something that costs him only a few bucks to produce.
:clap:

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

mac

« Reply #145 on: October 20, 2014, 01:30:56 AM »
Pressed is nice, but I don't like how he charges an arm and a leg for something that costs him only a few bucks to produce.

Hear, hear !

While I do like the concept for this project, personally would have rather seen the money spent on getting a real english translation and publishing rights for one game.

Kaga Create owns the Faussete Armour IP along with other Naxat software titles http://www.kaga-create.co.jp/
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:34:55 AM by mac »

esteban

« Reply #146 on: October 20, 2014, 02:53:46 AM »

Hear, hear !

While I do like the concept for this project, personally would have rather seen the money spent on getting a real english translation and publishing rights for one game.

Kaga Create owns the Faussete Armour IP along with other Naxat software titles http://www.kaga-create.co.jp/

Bootlegging PCE games is not nearly as complex/time consuming as localizing a game (let alone securing legal permission).

(1) A mediocre graphic designer with some experience dealing with printers can easily bootleg a game.

There are a lot of folks in that pool.

VS.

(2) A team of people with the requisite skills to competently localize/translate a PCE game and issue an English-language patch?

Not too many folks can do this.

Sadly.
  |    | 

mac

« Reply #147 on: October 20, 2014, 06:55:28 AM »

Hear, hear !

Bootlegging PCE games is not nearly as complex/time consuming as localizing a game (let alone securing legal permission).

(1) A mediocre graphic designer with some experience dealing with printers can easily bootleg a game.

There are a lot of folks in that pool.

VS.

(2) A team of people with the requisite skills to competently localize/translate a PCE game and issue an English-language patch?

Not too many folks can do this.

Sadly.

Exactly, I started learning more and more about programming the Turbo 18 months ago and just now can get a sprite to walk across the screen without having to reference some literature for every command lol. Much OBEY respect for the people with the knowledge and skill required.

Bootlegging is simple in comparison to the skills required for making us new games. I personally would rather see resources spent on the next Ys IV, Rondo of Blood, Xak III project. This guy is simply making a buck off others work all the while not offering anything in return content wise.

Of course this is just my opinion.. :D

esadajr

« Reply #148 on: October 27, 2014, 09:33:47 AM »
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:25:55 AM by esadajr »
Gaming since 1985

Samuray

« Reply #149 on: October 27, 2014, 09:54:40 AM »
Just picked up mine from the forwarder last Saturday (33/100) I like the professional look. I got it on impulse (like another forum member) and I'm debating whether I should keep it.

If you were to decide to break up the set, you could tempt me with "Sylphia" :p