Author Topic: TG16 region mod...  (Read 624 times)

cjameslv

Re: TG16 region mod...
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 09:44:43 AM »
I would go ahead and mod it for sure. If you can do it yourself even better, as you get more satisfaction out of it..but if your not good at modding then i would get someone that is to do it! I feel a modded system brings out it's full potential and gives it more of a personalized feel. Granted this is coming from a guy who will open a sealed game just to play it :) I'm a player not a collector and i want to enjoy my games to the fullest.

esteban

TG16 region mod...
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 10:41:49 PM »
I would go ahead and mod it for sure. If you can do it yourself even better, as you get more satisfaction out of it..but if your not good at modding then i would get someone that is to do it! I feel a modded system brings out it's full potential and gives it more of a personalized feel. Granted this is coming from a guy who will open a sealed game just to play it :) I'm a player not a collector and i want to enjoy my games to the fullest.

Comrade, I have no beef with you 
We are the same, I, too, will open any sealed game I want to play (Magical Chase included...if I get that game I'm opening it...)

Your post, though, inspired a rant that I should put somewhere else. So, remember, this is not personal, I'm really just explaining why I haven't fallen head-over-heels for all the amazing mods folks have developed over the years...I never want a modded console to be my only console. Never.

RANT START ---------

I'm a player not a collector and i want to enjoy my games to the fullest.

The only part of your post I take issue with is the phrase "to the fullest"...

I will offer a counter-argument, where using original hardware = enjoying my games to the fullest.

I play my games, comrade, but I have a hard time modding any system.

A region mod makes a lot of sense (it is practical an convenient), but I would want the switch hidden in back.
I tell folks to get region mods because most folks don't want to have US and JP hardware cluttering up their home.

I actually like using all the different hardware, and I swap out the consoles I use ever 2-3 months.

-------
Other mods (video), however, I have a much harder time justifying for myself.

We have an old thread here, somewhere, where I explained that that I am OK with the
"imperfections" of the consoles I play.

You see, original hardware + TV = authentic experience for me. That's what I enjoy.

I am not saying I haven't been tempted, but I'd want to get a cosmetically damaged console to modify.

And, to be honest, it would be done for the sake of curiosity.

When I listen to records, I don't complain about the occasional pop.
When I listen to cassettes, I don't complain about the hiss.

Composite + CRT TV = quite nice.
Hey, sometimes there is a slight buzzing, but it's always been like that with old TV's.

One of these days, when I have the $$$, I will get a few mods done...it will satiate my curiousity.

I will use it, surely, but it will simply be part of the rotation.

I still use original Gameboy, for example. It's part of the rotation.

Why? Because I really enjoy all the nuances of playing games as I played them 20-30 years ago.

I am not trying to change you, comrade, but merely offering my own fetish. Some folks have a fetish for a "pure" video signal.

I have a fetish for an authentic experience, as "flawed" as it may appear to others.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 10:45:09 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

cjameslv

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 03:56:53 AM »

Comrade, I have no beef with you 
We are the same, I, too, will open any sealed game I want to play (Magical Chase included...if I get that game I'm opening it...)

Your post, though, inspired a rant that I should put somewhere else. So, remember, this is not personal, I'm really just explaining why I haven't fallen head-over-heels for all the amazing mods folks have developed over the years...I never want a modded console to be my only console. Never.

RANT START ---------

I'm a player not a collector and i want to enjoy my games to the fullest.

The only part of your post I take issue with is the phrase "to the fullest"...

I will offer a counter-argument, where using original hardware = enjoying my games to the fullest.

A region mod makes a lot of sense (it is practical an convenient), but I would want the switch hidden in back.
I tell folks to get region mods because most folks don't want to have US and JP hardware cluttering up their home.

I actually like using all the different hardware, and I swap out the consoles I use ever 2-3 months.

-------
Other mods (video), however, I have a much harder time justifying for myself.

We have an old thread here, somewhere, where I explained that that I am OK with the
"imperfections" of the consoles I play.

You see, original hardware + TV = authentic experience for me. That's what I enjoy.

I am not saying I haven't been tempted, but I'd want to get a cosmetically damaged console to modify.

And, to be honest, it would be done for the sake of curiosity.

When I listen to records, I don't complain about the occasional pop.
When I listen to cassettes, I don't complain about the hiss.

Composite + CRT TV = quite nice.
Hey, sometimes there is a slight buzzing, but it's always been like that with old TV's.

One of these days, when I have the $$$, I will get a few mods done...it will satiate my curiousity.

I will use it, surely, but it will simply be part of the rotation.

I still use original Gameboy, for example. It's part of the rotation.

Why? Because I really enjoy all the nuances of playing games as I played them 20-30 years ago.

I am not trying to change you, comrade, but merely offering my own fetish. Some folks have a fetish for a "pure" video signal.

I have a fetish for an authentic experience, as "flawed" as it may appear to others.

Fair enough, i understand everyone is going to have a different view on what they consider the best experience for them. I was expressing my views and of course that is just me. That's what makes a community so diverse yet together is the love of a system and everyone will express it in their own way. I appreciate your response.

esteban

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 04:05:38 AM »
Like I said, it's really not you, I am just too lazy to make a new thread or dig up the old one. 

I always think in going to re-use/recycle my posts elsewhere, but I rarely (never) do.
  |    | 

ctophil

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 11:23:55 AM »

RANT START ---------

You're a lot like me, Esteban.  If you read my post above, I don't like modding any system either.  Back in the day, I did mod my PS1 once just to practice on soldering skills and to see if I could do it.  But since then, I took out the modchip and have not modded anything else.  I sorta regretted doing that, since it modified my pristine, original console.  But that was just part of growing up.  These days, even if people paid me $100,000, I wouldn't modify any of my consoles. 

I also do a lot of rotating with my consoles.  I do this for two reasons.  One: Gives me a variety of games to play to keep it fresh.  Two:  Keep the consoles in very nice working condition, which means I don't wear out my classic consoles from overuse.  For example, all consoles that I bought brand new back then are in flawless condition (looks like they just came out of the box and all buttons/doors function as new).  These systems include the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP, Nintendo DS, Sega Saturn, PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360.  Unfortunately, the rest of the consoles I have are used when I bought them, since I didn't get them until much later through Ebay or some local game store. So, they are not even close to the condition of my original consoles bought when they came out.